The Student Room Group

Realistic to get to working level in a new language in 4 year degree?

Hi,

I currently speak one foreign language to working level, and have been learning it for 6 years (actually 11 in total, but I have deducted the years that I haven't used it or been actively, continuously learning it).

I used it in customer service and sales and hated my job - I absolutely loved the language aspect of it, but hated the line of work.

Although I have a very good working proficiency and it is excellent, I would not call myself near native as the range of subjects I am fluent in isn't near native speaker level.

I would like to be a translator and after degree level study I feel this would be achieved in that language.

I have the opportunity to study this language alongside another at degree level. I feel that this would bring me up to near native level for that language.

My issue is that the other language I only know basically (which is fine for admission to the course).

My problem is that although I am a very naturally able linguist and the degree is very intensive (a 40 hour workload and 6 months in each of the target countries), as I need both languages to be near native to get translator work, I don't feel this is necessarily possible in 4 years for the second foreign language.

I don't want to go back to customer service/sales or teaching using the language which I feel is all I'm able to do with one language so I might as well not study languages at all.

Please can anyone who has studied languages/works as a translator advise.

(Sorry for the confusing nature of the post!! I had written it a lot clearer, but my browser decided to freeze and I lost all I'd typed!)

Many thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well what are the two languages? If they're closely related then it should be a lot easier.

By the very nature of a languages degree though even if it was the best degree in the world, if you're not going to put in the effort in your own time and become engaged with the course/language(s) then you won't be fluent. Simple as that.

But you should be able to reach a high enough level to use them professionally if you put the work in yourself no matter how intense (or not) the course is. The year abroad will help with this.
Reply 2
Original post by pizzanomics
Well what are the two languages? If they're closely related then it should be a lot easier.

By the very nature of a languages degree though even if it was the best degree in the world, if you're not going to put in the effort in your own time and become engaged with the course/language(s) then you won't be fluent. Simple as that.

But you should be able to reach a high enough level to use them professionally if you put the work in yourself no matter how intense (or not) the course is. The year abroad will help with this.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately it's French and German - German being the language I already speak, so non-related, although I do speak some Italian which could help with French, but nowhere near the level of my German.

I'm definitely willing to put the work in as I'm not work-shy. My only issue is with the long commutes (it's 1 hour each way, hour and a half in rush hour) along with the fact that I'll need to work at least 16 hours a week to pay my rent, I won't be able to give it the time and attention that is required.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending