The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation

Why are clearing students given priority over insurance students for accommodation? It seems very unfair that insurance students have last pick and have to wait so long to find out whether they have a room on campus - they're not even going to begin allocating places until after 1st September.
Original post by SpringfieldKid
Why are clearing students given priority over insurance students for accommodation? It seems very unfair that insurance students have last pick and have to wait so long to find out whether they have a room on campus - they're not even going to begin allocating places until after 1st September.

Hi SpringfieldKid

We want to make sure that all of our places are filled with really high quality students, and guaranteeing University accommodation is part of the overall package that helps us to do that.

We promise to secure you University-allocated accommodation though, so please don't panic :smile: I'd definitely advise that you apply for accommodation through the Student Accommodation Centre rather than seek private accommodation in town - our first years in University allocated accommodation will all be affiliated to a University hall - this means that you get the same student experience and don't miss out on the sense of hall spirit.

Hope this helps :smile:

Amy
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
I still think it's unfair that students who come through clearing apply at the same time as insurance students (who should be allowed to apply on results day if their place is confirmed, but are not). Then, to make things worse, clearing students are allocated rooms before the allocation for insurance students even begins. Clearing students should not have priority over insurance students. Insurance students are made to wait far too long before their accommodation is sorted out. Clearing students are guaranteed a room on campus, but for insurance students, the Uni only promises to help find accommodation for them. Why this difference?
Reply 3
Loughborough accommodation staff are terrible, clearing and adjustment students haven't even got places yet!! Not to mention the people who haven't got a place yet can't go on the swap list too because that's shut now.
Some clearing students seem to have rooms. Are you allowed to swap independently, for example find someone to swap with here and ask the Accommodation Office if you can swap? They say don't expect to swap to self catering ensuite as that option is over subscribed. Also, all of the ensuite rooms are gone already.

They had the same issue last year. They pretty much told insurance students to find their own places off campus. I remember that the university offered to house them in the B&B places on campus for visitors until rooms became free but that was insanely expensive, and they obviously couldn't promise if any rooms would free up. So if they offer that again this year, don't go for it.

I would start finding other insurance students who are yet to sort out their accommodation and find a house together. If you can get it close to the uni (don't expect the golden triangle area because they will mostly be gone) and all affiliate to the same hall for freshers then it wont be that much different to living in halls.

I had coursemates last year who were all insurance students and they wouldn't stop moaning about the accommodation allocation process for a good few weeks.
I agree, it's completely unfair for insurance students to have less priority over clearing/adjustment students. How is it fair that students who didn't even apply for loughborough at all get more priority over someone who actually applied. What is even meant by "high quality", as in grades? This actually gives me more anxiety than results day
When I rang the accommodation office they told me that all insurance students were given on campus rooms last year. They didn't mention that some were in temporary accommodation. Just have to wait and see I guess.
When I rang the accommodation office they told me that all insurance students were given on campus rooms last year. They didn't mention that some were in temporary accommodation. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Yeah, the rooms in the hotels on/next to campus were counted as "on campus rooms", they weren't rooms in halls. Unless of course people waited in them long enough to be moved into halls if rooms became free but I never heard of that happening to anyone. Most people thought **** it and just looked for a house or off-campus halls.
Reply 9
Any idea about when they might start allocating accommodation to insurance students?? Applied last monday heard nothing.
Original post by pizzanomics
They had the same issue last year. They pretty much told insurance students to find their own places off campus. I remember that the university offered to house them in the B&B places on campus for visitors until rooms became free but that was insanely expensive, and they obviously couldn't promise if any rooms would free up. So if they offer that again this year, don't go for it.

Just to clarify, this isn't actually true.
It is true that University halls accommodation isn't guaranteed, but every student from last year's intake was secured University-allocated accommodation which enable affiliation to a University hall and therefore were able to experience hall spirit to its full.

The accommodation centre is still very much in the process of allocating rooms, so it really is a wait and see job to see what you are offered.
Every year is different, so it may be that more hall accommodation is available for insurance students this year, but it's too early to tell this at the moment.

The most important thing is to remember, you will not be left to fend for yourself or expected to find your own accommodation, so my advice to people like you Springfieldkid and others in your position is just to wait and see what room is offered to you - it is then up to you to decide if you would like to take it or not.

We'll keep in touch with you over email, but keep an eye on the accommodation announcements here for other updates too - as soon as new information is available to applicants, it is often posted here as well.

Hope this helps
Vicky
(edited 3 years ago)
I think the problem here may be that @pizzanomics profile says they go to the University of Sheffield and this is the Loughborough University forum.
Also for everyone complaining about Loughborough's accommodation application process there is sadly not much I think the university's TSR representatives can do for you than offer a polite apology. However if you do feel strongly about it, you can possibly mention your disdain towards it to a Union representative who can pass it on for people in future years.
Original post by Penguinfarts
I think the problem here may be that @pizzanomics profile says they go to the University of Sheffield and this is the Loughborough University forum.
Also for everyone complaining about Loughborough's accommodation application process there is sadly not much I think the university's TSR representatives can do for you than offer a polite apology. However if you do feel strongly about it, you can possibly mention your disdain towards it to a Union representative who can pass it on for people in future years.

Well if you're going to nitpick about that you could have put in a little bit more effort into looking into my profile and at my posts, and you'd have found out that I was a student at Loughborough this year, but I dropped out since I no longer wanted to do the course I was enrolled for, and Loughborough don't offer the new course I wanted to persue.

Loughborough was my firm choice and I got my first choice of halls so I had no issues with my accommodation at all, but I know plenty of others who did - and what the OP has described is exactly the same issue some of my coursemates had last year. I was just telling them not to bother with the temporary accommodation the uni might offer if they decide to run with that again this year.
Have any insurance students had an offer of accommodation yet?
Have any insurance students had an offer of accommodation yet?

Are you in the offical facebook chat? I've seen a few insurance students saying they had got David Collett today.
Reply 15
Hi. Which is a best undergraduate catered accomodation close to the Business school?
Original post by Pjshah
Hi. Which is a best undergraduate catered accomodation close to the Business school?

Hey @Pjshah,

The closest catered accommodation to the Business School is Towers. It's also close to the Students' Union, John Cooper's restaurant/bar and our on-campus Medical Centre too! :smile:

Best wishes

Lauren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending