The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Great start to the season for Bolton. You'd expect them to finish top six in the third tier - as well as the other two relegated sides, MK Dons and Charlton. Then, you're probably looking at three from Scunthorpe, Bradford, Millwall, Walsall, Gillingham and Sheffield United (if they can get their act together).
James Wilson on loan from Man Utd, not sure really considering he didn't score much for brighton last year at all but we've only scored 1 goal in 4 league games so maybe it'll boost our attack to work harder. Our start has been steady if anything but unless we start scoring we won't be going anywhere once again
How long will Sheffield United realistically stick with Wilder?
Richie De Laet signs for Villa, pleased with this.
Tonight's spanking at the hands of two former players, great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rock Fan
Richie De Laet signs for Villa, pleased with this.

Abel Hernandez supposedly joining too according to the Villa fan in my office. The three relegated sides look miles ahead of anyone else in the Championship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have to agree with SR, haven't seen championship squads as good as Norwich, Newcastle and Villa before. You've got to back at least 2 of them to go up, the first two for me. I just hope this isn't what it's going to be like in the future with the money that they're able to spend. Makes an absolute mockery of parachute payments.

The only thing I'd be concerned about spending so much is that if you don't get out of this division within 2 years they'll have absolutely ****ed it.
Have to agree with SR, haven't seen championship squads as good as Norwich, Newcastle and Villa before. You've got to back at least 2 of them to go up, the first two for me. I just hope this isn't what it's going to be like in the future with the money that they're able to spend. Makes an absolute mockery of parachute payments.

The only thing I'd be concerned about spending so much is that if you don't get out of this division within 2 years they'll have absolutely ****ed it.
Original post by The Wavefunction

Well that is what Scudamore wanted all along by repeatedly threatening Football League clubs with pulling their funding if they didn't agree to loading relegated clubs with obscene parachute payments. Wolves and Wigan somehow conspired to get relegated again even with this money and in L1 were able to outspend everyone else by a mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone give a **** about this Mickey mouse cup? Because all Leeds fans are bumming it.
The odds have always been weighted in the relegated sides favour but traditionally not many are able to capitalise.You're generally looking at 1 in 3 to bounce straight back, though quite often none do, and 2 out of 3 is really rare. I think we're looking at an exceptional season this year what with Villa and Newcastle being the size clubs they are, and both with hugely rich owners to boot, and also Norwich being well run and generally having their **** together. You'd normally have at least 1/3 that are in chaos at this stage, or there'd be one or two "traditional" second tier clubs that'd just revert to type after their season in the sun.

Obviously it remains to be seen what the longer term effects will be of the new PL TV deal on the Championship, but if 2/3 bounce back again this year for the second season running then there will be some concern. However this is far from guaranteed. There'll be strong competition for all the relegated sides. Most notably Brighton, but then you've got the potential emergence of Huddersfield as a force, Fulham have looked strong, Wolves started really well under new ownership... Wednesday will come strong you'd think... so anything could happen basically. :biggrin:
Original post by abrack
Does anyone give a **** about this Mickey mouse cup? Because all Leeds fans are bumming it.

You care about it if you're in it, it's the mockery mouse cup of you're knocked out.

Wembley Wembley, we're the famous Leeds United and we're off to Wembley!

Name's on the trophy, fella.
Our name is on the all important division 1 title, 3 years in a row. Accrington Stanley will probably win the cup.
Original post by sr90
Abel Hernandez supposedly joining too according to the Villa fan in my office. The three relegated sides look miles ahead of anyone else in the Championship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If we get him and a creative Midfielder then I think I will be far more optimistic
Screenshot_1.png

26/08/17 - 21:40

The Brewers move up to a play off position, as Derby County drop to 17th, 5 games into the 2016/17 Sky Bet EFL Championship season. The Terriers look to hold on to the top spot as they play a dangerous looking Wolves side tomorrow at the John Smith's Stadium.

All teams bar Burton and Derby play this weekend, with Newcastle, QPR, Brentford, Barnsley, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Ipswich, Birmingham and Cardiff all searching for 3 points to move into play off positions.
As a Derby fan, I'm disappointed we lost. However I certainly want Burton to do well & they deserved to beat us tonight. Well done to them!

We're actually one point better off than this point last year & we were at the top of the table around Christmas & if anyone is going to turn it around it'll be Pearson. He wouldn't have been my first choice but he was certainly up there. I do think we may have to get him time; a push for the autos this season looks unlikely at the moment it must be said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Terriers remain top, get in lads!
Losing to Bristol City for god sake :mad:
A real shame Bolton lost their 100 per cent record so late at Charlton. What a goal by Emmanuel-Thomas for Gills vs Shrewsbury, by the way.
Original post by Mackay
A real shame Bolton lost their 100 per cent record so late at Charlton. What a goal by Emmanuel-Thomas for Gills vs Shrewsbury, by the way.

Before the game I would have happily taken a good solid away point but it does sting a little the goal came so late. We seem to have a lot better game plan this season, rather than 11 individuals just chasing a ball.

Quick Reply

Latest