The Student Room Group

Doing A LEVELS having FAILED GCSEs?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Vanilla Poison
Don't wanna sound harsh, but you'll probably f**k up your A-levels.

Why is that? My belief has always been that if you work hard enough and put in the effort and want something enough you can achieve. It requires patience and determination and most importantly perseverance. Have you come to tell me this is wrong? I know it's really hard. I've done my research. I still believe I can do it with hard work. I'm not stupid either and if you think i am because of my grades it's your own problem. I know that if I resit I will come out with so much better grades. If i need to do that before someone believes I'm capable I will.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kryptonian
Why is that? My belief has always been that if you work hard enough and put in the effort and want something enough you can achieve. It requires patience and determination and most importantly perseverance. Have you come to tell me this is wrong? I know it's really hard. I've done my research. I still believe I can do it with hard work. I'm not stupid either and if you think i am because of my grades it's your own problem. I know that if I resit I will come out with so much better grades. If i need to do that before someone believes I'm capable I will.

If that's your belief how did you get those grades at GCSE, you can think all you want but statistically you've a low chance of succeeding at A-level. Don't take it personally, good luck.
Reply 42
If that's your belief how did you get those grades at GCSE, you can think all you want but statistically you've a low chance of succeeding at A-level. Don't take it personally, good luck.

I don't believe statistics as factual evidence. If you want to talk about statistics you may find a small or very small even of people that succeed but look there is a tiny number. There is that possibility. Every individual is unique and their beliefs and aspirations vary and so do their capabilities. I know in my mind that I can probably do it and that my GCSE grades aren't reflective of my ability either. I have a reason why I did rubbish.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't believe statistics as factual evidence. If you want to talk about statistics you may find a small or very small even of people that succeed but look there is a tiny number. There is that possibility. Every individual is unique and their beliefs and aspirations vary and so do their capabilities. I wish I could tell everyone what happened that made me not try hard in the exams. I know in my mind that I can probably do it and that my GCSE grades aren't reflective of my ability either.

Yes yes, beliefs and aspirations. That's not what people really care about when they have a sheet of paper with your grades infront of their eyes. It's very important you let people know what happened, they'll understand the situation better and you'll have less people like me telling you why A-levels aren't for you.
Reply 44
Yes yes, beliefs and aspirations. That's not what people really care about when they have a sheet of paper with your grades infront of their eyes. It's very important you let people know what happened, they'll understand the situation better and you'll have less people like me telling you why A-levels aren't for you.

OK thanks. Do you think it is better that I spend next year resitting some GCSEs and do A levels the year after? Secondly would I be able to apply to a sixth form college at 17 to start the A level course because usually people start at 16? Or will I have to apply to a college that lets me do them or as private candidate? Thank you.
OK thanks. Do you think it is better that I spend next year resitting some GCSEs and do A levels the year after? Secondly would I be able to apply to a sixth form college at 17 to start the A level course because usually people start at 16? Or will I have to apply to a college that lets me do them or as private candidate? Thank you.

I can't see there being an issue with you joining 6th form a year later, but please ring them up and explain to them what you're doing to make sure. As for resitting the GCSEs I guess you could, you seem motivated enough to get some good grades. Getting your English language grade up will be beneficial, also bringing the physics grade up is important. Most places I know require a minimum of a B to let you take the subject at A-level. One year is not a major setback in the grand scheme of things, if I was in your position I'd do my GCSEs again aiming for 5 A-C grades. Good luck!
Reply 46
I can't see there being an issue with you joining 6th form a year later, but please ring them up and explain to them what you're doing to make sure. As for resitting the GCSEs I guess you could, you seem motivated enough to get some good grades. Getting your English language grade up will be beneficial, also bringing the physics grade up is important. Most places I know require a minimum of a B to let you take the subject at A-level. One year is not a major setback in the grand scheme of things, if I was in your position I'd do my GCSEs again aiming for 5 A-C grades. Good luck!

Thanks very much. I have a plan now of what I'm going to do and will work hard to get top grades in the GCSEs I retake. 👍

Quick Reply

Latest