The Student Room Group

Laundry at University

Hey there.

I would like to ask current students that are studying in University about laundry. So, I searched for the information and cost of washing and dryer of my university and found out that one cycle of washing costs £2.70, whilst one cycle of tumble drying costs £1.30. Apparently, this is quite expensive for me, considering I am an international student who has no experience about laundry facilities in the UK. Therefore, do you have any tips on doing laundry in university or do you think that the cost charged is worth it? Additionally, is it possible to air dry clothes in halls?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by ishb_
Hey there.

I would like to ask current students that are studying in University about laundry. So, I searched for the information and cost of washing and dryer of my university and found out that one cycle of washing costs £2.70, whilst one cycle of tumble drying costs £1.30. Apparently, this is quite expensive for me, considering I am an international student who has no experience about laundry facilities in the UK. Therefore, do you have any tips on doing laundry in university or do you think that the cost charged is worth it? Additionally, is it possible to air dry clothes in halls?

Thanks in advance.

That sounds standard to me. The laundry facilities in halls tend to be industrial sized so you can fit a lot in. Yes you can air dry clothes in halls, you need a clothes horse, but make sure to keep the room well aired whilst the clothes are drying to avoid mould and condensation.
Obvious point about coin or credit operated launderette machines... as mentioned above they're bigger than home washing machines so it makes sense to wash your stuff in great big loads i.e. bin bag full - don't be nipping down every day to keep washing out your lucky underpants.

if they have a separate high speed spinner use it between washing and tumble dryers - it'll get rid of a lot of water really quickly and cheaply.

don't try cheating the dryers by putting several peoples washing in the one machine - they don't dry anything if the clothes are packed too tightly..
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
That sounds standard to me. The laundry facilities in halls tend to be industrial sized so you can fit a lot in. Yes you can air dry clothes in halls, you need a clothes horse, but make sure to keep the room well aired whilst the clothes are drying to avoid mould and condensation.

Ahh, right. Thank you very much for the information. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Obvious point about coin or credit operated launderette machines... as mentioned above they're bigger than home washing machines so it makes sense to wash your stuff in great big loads i.e. bin bag full - don't be nipping down every day to keep washing out your lucky underpants.

if they have a separate high speed spinner use it between washing and tumble dryers - it'll get rid of a lot of water really quickly and cheaply.

don't try cheating the dryers by putting several peoples washing in the one machine - they don't dry anything if the clothes are packed too tightly..

Alright, thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
My uni accommodation in first year had the exact same prices, but the machines never gave change back. So if I didn't have the exact change I was always over charged. Stupid system but that's how they make money I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah, it's a lot for a wash but it's pretty normal... you can get away with washing very infrequently though as they're big

I always dried clothes in my room
Yeah that seems like a fairly standard price, mine was £2.80 for a wash and £3.50 for a dry. They were large like mentioned in previous posts, so I used to get away with doing a wash a week.
Original post by ishb_
Hey there.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to make it cheaper, you can hand wash things small things which you use frequently and wash the big things in washing machines which you don't use as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Josh_MG
My uni accommodation in first year had the exact same prices, but the machines never gave change back. So if I didn't have the exact change I was always over charged. Stupid system but that's how they make money I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I should start to prepare small changes from now on. Probably i'd say.
Reply 10
Original post by doodle_333
yeah, it's a lot for a wash but it's pretty normal... you can get away with washing very infrequently though as they're big

I always dried clothes in my room

Yeah. I should start scheduling my laundry. Anyway, this is a stupid question really, but do you seperate clothes when washing, such as from its colour or materials?
Reply 11
Original post by WilliamsQI
Yeah that seems like a fairly standard price, mine was £2.80 for a wash and £3.50 for a dry. They were large like mentioned in previous posts, so I used to get away with doing a wash a week.

Wow, £ 3.50 is quite expensive for a dry. However, I think it is true considering that the machines are large.
Reply 12
Original post by Bloom77
If you want to make it cheaper, you can hand wash things small things which you use frequently and wash the big things in washing machines which you don't use as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, right. Thanks for the tips!
Original post by ishb_
Yeah. I should start scheduling my laundry. Anyway, this is a stupid question really, but do you seperate clothes when washing, such as from its colour or materials?

up to you... you should really separate colours/darks/whites but it depends if you have enough of each type to do that and not waste money

I never had anything white I cared about being less white (i.e. only some t shirts which I wore under things) so washed everything together on the lowest temp setting

occasionally if I had more laundry I would split into dark/light stuff
Original post by ishb_
Wow, £ 3.50 is quite expensive for a dry. However, I think it is true considering that the machines are large.

True - maybe it's just an estimate because some fabrics hold more water than others.
afaik usually you feed the dryers money until you think your clothes are dry enough...but the washing machine is a fixed price.
Reply 15
Original post by doodle_333
up to you... you should really separate colours/darks/whites but it depends if you have enough of each type to do that and not waste money

I never had anything white I cared about being less white (i.e. only some t shirts which I wore under things) so washed everything together on the lowest temp setting

occasionally if I had more laundry I would split into dark/light stuff

Great. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Joinedup
True - maybe it's just an estimate because some fabrics hold more water than others.
afaik usually you feed the dryers money until you think your clothes are dry enough...but the washing machine is a fixed price.

Oh, right. I'm not aware that I should feed the dryer to dry the clothes. Nice information though, thanks! :smile:
You could always do the ol' string on the coin!
Original post by ishb_
Hey there.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what Uni you are in but there is a student laundry service at Plymouth Uni called Unicycle Laundry which wash around 6kg of mixed laundry for £10...saves you the hassel of drying extra wet clothes in your room!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending