The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BethanyC23
Hi, sorry if this is a silly question, but I will be studying children's nursing in September at Edge Hill & was just wondering what is involved within the placements? Like how hands on will it be what kind of duties will I have to perform? :smile:

Hi Bethany,

Congratulations on getting a place! You must be excited to start!

It does depend on the placements, but do expect hospital based placements to be very hands on! Community nursing or health visitor placements tend to be less hands on.

What you'll be expected to do will all depend what year you're in but generally: observations, feeds, insertion of NG tubes, removal of cannulas, medicines management, preparing a bedspace for an admission, admitting patients to the ward, observation of procedures, documentation, talking to parents/patients, liaising with the MDT, managing your own patient workload... There may also be the opportunity to learn skills specific to that ward or area, for example plastering, wound dressings or 12 lead ECGs in ED for example. Health visitor or community placements do tend to be less hands on and more observational. I did a comm placement in 3rd year. My friend had her car so we were allowed to do the occasional visit on our own.

The list just goes on! Obviously the more challenging of these tasks will be under direct guidance or supervision from your mentors with the aim of giving you increased autonomy throughout your course. Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi Bethany,

Congratulations on getting a place! You must be excited to start!

It does depend on the placements, but do expect hospital based placements to be very hands on! Community nursing or health visitor placements tend to be less hands on.

What you'll be expected to do will all depend what year you're in but generally: observations, feeds, insertion of NG tubes, removal of cannulas, medicines management, preparing a bedspace for an admission, admitting patients to the ward, observation of procedures, documentation, talking to parents/patients, liaising with the MDT, managing your own patient workload... There may also be the opportunity to learn skills specific to that ward or area, for example plastering, wound dressings or 12 lead ECGs in ED for example. Health visitor or community placements do tend to be less hands on and more observational. I did a comm placement in 3rd year. My friend had her car so we were allowed to do the occasional visit on our own.

The list just goes on! Obviously the more challenging of these tasks will be under direct guidance or supervision from your mentors with the aim of giving you increased autonomy throughout your course. Good luck!

Aw that's great! Thank you so much for your response :biggrin:
Hi, I will be starting mental health nursing in march at edge hill, and just wanted to read more about the placements and was just wondering what kind of duties and responsibilities are involved within the placements? :smile:
Original post by MollieC15
Hi, I will be starting mental health nursing in march at edge hill, and just wanted to read more about the placements and was just wondering what kind of duties and responsibilities are involved within the placements? :smile:

@claireestelle
Reply 204
I am mature student and single mum of three young kids, start my Adult Nursing in March 2017...I am very worried about childcare, this makes me feel very down and I am on the edge to refuse my Course :frown: how does everyone do with childcare?..
to what extent does a nurse study about healthcare systems?
Original post by therecovery

Healthcare systems meaning...?
Original post by PaediatricStN
Healthcare systems meaning...?

do nurses study about it and do nurses go about it in detail?

sorry if my question was vague
do nurses study about it and do nurses go about it in detail?

sorry if my question was vague

I dont know what you mean by the term "Healthcare systems"

if you're talking about commissioning, public health, NHS accountability etc, then we did one module on it. So not terribly in-depth!
Original post by lilibet01
if you're talking about commissioning, public health, NHS accountability etc, then we did one module on it. So not terribly in-depth!

thank you!thats all i wanted to know
I just finished my degree in adult nursing at middlesex university. I start my new job on the 10th of October 2016. If you need help, i will be happy to try my best and help. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
ill be starting my bachelor of nursing in july 2017.
is there any advice/tips you can give me?:smile:
What I should be prepared for when going into my nursing degree? I think I'm going to be going John Moore's University but I feel like I'm going to struggle with the science side as it's not really one of my best subjects at all and didn't do A levels related to it. Will it be tough or is it a slow transition?
I'm applying for Midwifery for 2017 entry. I have two questions really -

1) I haven't got any work experience in that area - I've been able to relate working experience to transferrable skills, but no direct work exp and no childcare until next September to go out and get some. Am I going to be at a disadvantage for this?

2) I've tried to avoid talking about being a parent in my PS as in "being a parent has prepared me for Midwifery", because I read that admissions tutors don't like that, but I have talked about how pregnancy sort of opened my eyes to what being a midwife entails and the care they provide to women throughout the pregnancy rather than just their job starting and ending with delivering babies. Is this likely to be ok or should I leave that out too?
I was just wondering, did you guys have to provide exam certificates when going to enrollment/interviews?
Original post by howtobealady
I was just wondering, did you guys have to provide exam certificates when going to enrollment/interviews?

short answer, yes!
Hi guys,
I was wondering what skills I could learn before studying nursing and would be of value for my personal statement?
I was thinking along the lines of taking a first aid course?

Many thanks,
Natasha Lockwood
Reply 218
Original post by madileigh94
I'm applying for Midwifery for 2017 entry. I have two questions really -

2) I've tried to avoid talking about being a parent in my PS as in "being a parent has prepared me for Midwifery", because I read that admissions tutors don't like that, but I have talked about how pregnancy sort of opened my eyes to what being a midwife entails and the care they provide to women throughout the pregnancy rather than just their job starting and ending with delivering babies. Is this likely to be ok or should I leave that out too?

hi
I watched youtube videos, they prepared me for my interview very well

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=midwifery+student+interview+
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tashachelsea13
Hi guys,
I was wondering what skills I could learn before studying nursing and would be of value for my personal statement?
I was thinking along the lines of taking a first aid course?

Many thanks,
Natasha Lockwood

Experience suggestions thread :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58928667&t=3546665#post58928667

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending