The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Thanks for the mention! Always happy to help and answer any questions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, could you tell me how the holidays are allocated for adult nursing?

how many days a week we go into the university when not on placement?

how many Saturday's on average wou,d you do on placement?
Original post by MrsSarny
Hi, could you tell me how the holidays are allocated for adult nursing?

how many days a week we go into the university when not on placement?

how many Saturday's on average wou,d you do on placement?

Hi,

It's all slightly different at each university, although I'll give you an idea based on my experiences. Annual leave is set by the university, and you cannot request holiday outside of that (Unless of course, it is for a good reason such as illness or bereavement).

For my university I get:
Christmas: 2 weeks
Easter: 2 weeks
Summer: 3 weeks

I also get a consolidation period of 6 weeks just before the summer leave, so if I pass every assessment, then I get that time off too. Not every university offers this though.

When you're not on placement, it varies. It was more in first year than it is in third. First year tended to be 5 days a week, mostly all day. Third year it went down to 3 days a week, all day (Days are normally 9/10am-2/4pm, depending).

On an average 9 week placement I would normally do 2, maximum 3, Saturdays. Generally the placements are flexible and you can do more if you really want to. Although you must spend 40% of the placement working alongside your mentor, as this is a standard set by the NMC.

Hope that answers all your questions!

Joel :smile:
Reply 3
Hello,
I want to apply for the adult nursing degree to become a male nurse. At the minute I'm studying an access program.
I will be applying this September for 2016 entry.
When I'm applying I'll be 34 years old. Would I be considered to old to apply?
I know on paper they don't discriminate against age but I'm wondering behind the scenes would my application be set to one side?

Thanks
Original post by Dommce
Hello,
I want to apply for the adult nursing degree to become a male nurse. At the minute I'm studying an access program.
I know on paper they don't discriminate against age but I'm wondering behind the scenes would my application be set to one side?

Thanks

Hi Dom!

You certainly won't be too old, and they won't discriminate 'behind the scenes'... Universities actually quite like mature students for nursing courses, due to their life experience - it can be very beneficial on a course like nursing :smile:

Good luck!
Joel
Reply 5
Thanks Joel ,, brightened up my day.
Reply 6
Original post by Dommce
Hello,

Thanks

Hi Dom, I have a friend in my course at the minute who is 36 and will be doing her adult nursing in March next year so my answe is no you're not too old.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I am due to start Child Nursing in Feb 2016. Are there any specific books or subjects you could advise me to read up on before I start?
i just want to update my knowledge and get an idea of what to expect in my first year etc.
Reply 8
Original post by MrsSarny
Hi Dom, I have a friend in my course at the minute who is 36 and will be doing her adult nursing in March next year so my answe is no you're not too old.

Thanks Mrs Sarny
Original post by Mummy2one
Hi, I am due to start Child Nursing in Feb 2016. Are there any specific books or subjects you could advise me to read up on before I start?
i just want to update my knowledge and get an idea of what to expect in my first year etc.

Hi!

Well done for getting a place! Have a read of the NMC Code of Conduct (2015) and the NHS Constution (2013). Understanding the concept of family centred care would also be beneficial. Keep up with the news too! But don't do too much before you start, you don't want to exhaust yourself!

Books wise, you could buy The Student Nurse Handbook which I have heard positive things about. Other than that I would wait until you get to uni. Their library will have all of the core texts you require for your units and I would advise loaning a book from your library if possible, before deciding on whether or not to buy it. Otherwise you may end up buying books that you never use. They can be expensive so use your uni library and when you do spend, think carefully!

Hope that helps!
Joel
Original post by Mummy2one

Hey! I'd recommend getting a good anatomy and physiology book. I brought the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology for student nurses book which is really helpful! Just doing a bit of background research on that. :smile: x
Original post by nkbarker176
Hey! I'd recommend getting a good anatomy and physiology book. I brought the fundamentals of anatomy and physiology for student nurses book which is really helpful! Just doing a bit of background research on that. :smile: x

if you are more of a visual learner, there are a lot of really good lectures on YouTube. But getting up to speed on A&P is a really good idea.
Thanks for the mention!

Happy to help :biggrin::grouphugs:
Reply 13
Hey guys, I started a little group on facebook for prospective nursing students, it's just somewhere to have rant and share the joys of wanting to b a nurse. Anyone is welcome to join, it's called Future Nurse United. If there already existing groups, I would be happy to know, so I can join. Good luck
https://m.facebook.com/groups/922292217781029?ref=bookmark
Hi all,

ive been offered a place for midwifery in Brighton (yipee) but looking at the financial support available to me I have absolutely no idea how any one lives off this! I curently live in wales and applied for welsh universities as i would have support from family and friends here but I unfortunately didnt get a place. Brighton was my curve ball, and now im looking into it further I am afraid i may have to refuse the place.

Can any one offer any help/ advice on how its done?!
Original post by Clairemarie13
Hi all,

ive been offered a place for midwifery in Brighton (yipee) but looking at the financial support available to me I have absolutely no idea how any one lives off this! I curently live in wales and applied for welsh universities as i would have support from family and friends here but I unfortunately didnt get a place. Brighton was my curve ball, and now im looking into it further I am afraid i may have to refuse the place.

Can any one offer any help/ advice on how its done?!

I dont start nursing until september, however i ve already lived off student finance for 2 years and am getting just 300 less off nhs bursaries+ loan for next year but feel i ll be able to cope as we re renting an incredibly reasonable flat and do all food shopping at lidl.

I would say check you've applied for every allowance you re eligible for and if you would be eligible for any bursaries brighton offers, then maybe check out the prices of cheap accomodation round there and make your decision then i d guess. Also if you re a dependent student then look to see how much if any nhs bursaries are expecting your partner/parent to contribute and try to speak to them about it, especially if the figure the nhs gives is actually probably how much they spend on supporting you currently
Original post by claireestelle
I dont start nursing until september, however i ve already lived off student finance for 2 years and am getting just 300 less off nhs bursaries+ loan for next year but feel i ll be able to cope as we re renting an incredibly reasonable flat and do all food shopping at lidl.

I would say check you've applied for every allowance you re eligible for and if you would be eligible for any bursaries brighton offers, then maybe check out the prices of cheap accomodation round there and make your decision then i d guess. Also if you re a dependent student then look to see how much if any nhs bursaries are expecting your partner/parent to contribute and try to speak to them about it, especially if the figure the nhs gives is actually probably how much they spend on supporting you currently

Thank you so much! its just so hard as i have been working full time for quite a while and still struggle to meet my living costs!

have you/ will you be living in shared accomadation? or renting on your own?
Original post by Clairemarie13
Thank you so much! its just so hard as i have been working full time for quite a while and still struggle to meet my living costs!

have you/ will you be living in shared accomadation? or renting on your own?

If you ve been working full time for 3 years, they d assess you as an independent student and you d probably get max bursary and finance, which is roughly 7k which is pretty high for the average student.

I live with my partner who is also a student, so we re sharing a two bed flat as its much better value than living in actual student accomodation. I d say i do live pretty frugally but manage to barely go into my student overdraft most terms
Reply 18
This concerns me also as i think my partner earns to much to get maximum bursary so may be living on very little :s-smilie: but I will wait and see what I get and have to do some super budgeting to work it out. I really want my place and determined to not let it pass me by.
Original post by PDizzle
This concerns me also as i think my partner earns to much to get maximum bursary so may be living on very little :s-smilie: but I will wait and see what I get and have to do some super budgeting to work it out. I really want my place and determined to not let it pass me by.

You will definetly get the loan of 2300 and the non-means tested of 1000. I think your partner would need to be earning over 30k before they reduce your bursary by much

Quick Reply

Latest