The Student Room Group

Extracurricular activities for Astrophysics

Currently I am in Year 13 doing 4 A levels including Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology (Because I like it, even though it won't make a difference on my application). The thing is that I live in Portugal and there aren't a lot of opportunity for extracurricular activities in Astronomy or something similar. There are very few but those are extremely expensive. My school also doesn't offer any extracurricular activities.

Will this make a HUGE difference on my UCAS application form. I got AAAABBC on my AS level (I know they are quite a lot) and self studying Further Maths because my school 'doesn't have qualified teachers for it'.

Are extracurricular activities for Astrophysics really necessary and will universities still accept me without them. What would you advice me to do. Thank you!
Reply 1
Anyone?
Hi it varies from uni to uni on how much they care about extra-curricular activities, and it doesn't always have to relate directly to the topic you are going for

If you want one for astronomy
I would suggest getting telescopes (or binoculars as they are cheaper) and try and start your own club with friends, ask around in school for help.
We had STEM days in our school to encourage STEM take up, if you have those, maybe get involved and focus on astro
Reply 3
Original post by Thisguy11
Hi it varies from uni to uni on how much they care about extra-curricular activities, and it doesn't always have to relate directly to the topic you are going for

If you want one for astronomy
I would suggest getting telescopes (or binoculars as they are cheaper) and try and start your own club with friends, ask around in school for help.
We had STEM days in our school to encourage STEM take up, if you have those, maybe get involved and focus on astro

I have got extracurriculars such as joining the football club, practice martial arts, playing the piano and violin, tutor for GCSE students and I also once wrote an article on Black Holes for a website. I have also read many books on Astronomy and Astrophysics.

My 'dream' university is UCL, however I don't mind getting into other universities. Are these extracurriculars enough or do they require more leadership?

The subjects I am taking also take up most of my time studying.
Original post by shneebnee
I have got extracurriculars such as joining the football club, practice martial arts, playing the piano and violin, tutor for GCSE students and I also once wrote an article on Black Holes for a website. I have also read many books on Astronomy and Astrophysics.

My 'dream' university is UCL, however I don't mind getting into other universities. Are these extracurriculars enough or do they require more leadership?

The subjects I am taking also take up most of my time studying.

Can you ask UCL students?, I dont know if you have access to any

Sorry I cant be of more help
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending