The Student Room Group

Applyingn to uni soon and cant remember anything....

Hi, I am currently studying a BTEC in Engineering. I am doing an extended diploma right now. I have scored a D* grade for my 1st year of level 3, however after summer, I can not remember most of the things I have learned last year! While doing "revision" tests at the start of extended diploma I could not remember more than half of the answers....I remember the names however I can not remember their definitions. Even the units where I have scored Distinctions in my 1st year. I am now worried that by the time I actually go and study at a university, I will be completely clueless without any knowledge of what I have learned in my BTEC.
Did that ever happen to anyone? How did you get on in your university studies if it did? Will I be able to pass through my lectures or not?
Original post by senpanda
Hi, I am currently studying a BTEC in Engineering. I am doing an extended diploma right now. I have scored a D* grade for my 1st year of level 3, however after summer, I can not remember most of the things I have learned last year! While doing "revision" tests at the start of extended diploma I could not remember more than half of the answers....I remember the names however I can not remember their definitions. Even the units where I have scored Distinctions in my 1st year. I am now worried that by the time I actually go and study at a university, I will be completely clueless without any knowledge of what I have learned in my BTEC.
Did that ever happen to anyone? How did you get on in your university studies if it did? Will I be able to pass through my lectures or not?

Sh*t. That's happened to me for AS levels. I'm going to do some hardcore studying and revision and make flash cards again because I actually need to know the full content as the A2 specification is synoptic, pulling everything you've learned together. I'm going to RE-learn everything. The knowledge should naturally flow back to me, as it should to you. I don't think this is a weird case of memory loss - that's why there was a point on this one article I read about if you're bored revise your GCSE knowledge again.

This happened to me at GCSE mainly because I didn't actually learn the knowledge, I just did last minute revision, obviously not for everything. I don't know if this was the same with you too. I think it's quite clear that the neuronal pathways haven't been strengthened enough so the things we've learned don't stick in the long-term memory.

I think it's definitely a good idea to revise and/or learn the content again for university because it might be hard to understand the lectures if you don't and you want to understand every possible thing.

I'm interested to see other people's replies if they've went to uni and experienced this as well like you have.
:angelwings:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Same thing happened to me in gcses too, however some of the maths and science i have learned in school helped me out in college, but 1st year of college for me was just getting the grades and not learning, which is the reason why I am struggling right now. Atleast I am not the only one with a problem like that.

Quick Reply

Latest