The Student Room Group

AS and A2 Economics Help

Hey,

If anyone needs help with AS or A2 Economics feel free to post your questions here! I got an A overall with A* in Unit 4 so I'm sure I can help!
Original post by azizadil1998
Hey,

If anyone needs help with AS or A2 Economics feel free to post your questions here! I got an A overall with A* in Unit 4 so I'm sure I can help!

Hi, I am doing OCR AS economics at the moment; i would love it if you could give me some advice!:smile: Such as revision techniques, exam techniques... :smile:Congrats on getting an A!:biggrin:
Original post by sunshine774
Hi, I am doing OCR AS economics at the moment; i would love it if you could give me some advice!:smile: Such as revision techniques, exam techniques... :smile:Congrats on getting an A!:biggrin:

Yeah sure! I'm assuming you have some interest in the subject first of all :P You'll want to do outside reading to strengthen your macro section and this will also allow you to think outside of the box compared to other AS students (and you can seem super smart in class :colondollar: ) I'd recommend the Economist, get a subscription and stay up to date, you'll get new ideas from it (it's quite cheap, don't go for the student offer because it's cheap to start off with but gets more expensive later) - another one which is free could be City A.M. but it may not be as good as the Economist since it's more of just news.. Financial Times is a bit more complex and could be too boring but you can give it a try (these things go well in interviews and personal statement too)... if you haven't already then read the Undercover Economist it's actually quite interesting. Revising I would say for now just get the knowledge all sorted, I used the revision guide but mine's edexcel, but mostly I prefer revision guides over text books since its more condensed and you don't have to read as much + it usually gives the more important ideas which you have to memorise (this way I was able to smash out my macro paper)!!

Exam technique for macro is quite simple --> in the introduction just start off with the basic definitions and your initial ideas, this should secure you a few marks if you do it right. Next paragraph should be your first point, give it and then do a counter argument/evaluate (or you could give all points and then evaluate but I advise on doing it as you go).. so you can either do a few (3 to 5) well explained points and evaluations or many less well explained points with evaluation. (did this in my macro paper and managed A* in that)

Always try to get a diagram in wherever you can, this can get you anywhere between 2 and 4/5 marks depending on the type of question e.g. a supply and demand with correct shifts can be 3 marks or an AD/AS can be 4 marks and it makes it easier for you when explaining your points!

ALSO I would say try to make your work neat and organised, this will make LIFE MUCH EASIER for the examiner and if he/she can read your work better and see it is well planned out then you might have a better chance of a higher grade! Another suggestion could be maybe to do a very short plan like bullet points of the essay (don't take too long..).

AND THANKSS, going to be resitting my micro to hopefully get an A*.. :u:
Original post by azizadil1998
Yeah sure! I'm assuming you have some interest in the subject first of all :P You'll want to do outside reading to strengthen your macro section and this will also allow you to think outside of the box compared to other AS students (and you can seem super smart in class :colondollar: ) I'd recommend the Economist, get a subscription and stay up to date, you'll get new ideas from it (it's quite cheap, don't go for the student offer because it's cheap to start off with but gets more expensive later) - another one which is free could be City A.M. but it may not be as good as the Economist since it's more of just news.. Financial Times is a bit more complex and could be too boring but you can give it a try (these things go well in interviews and personal statement too)... if you haven't already then read the Undercover Economist it's actually quite interesting. Revising I would say for now just get the knowledge all sorted, I used the revision guide but mine's edexcel, but mostly I prefer revision guides over text books since its more condensed and you don't have to read as much + it usually gives the more important ideas which you have to memorise (this way I was able to smash out my macro paper)!!

Exam technique for macro is quite simple --> in the introduction just start off with the basic definitions and your initial ideas, this should secure you a few marks if you do it right. Next paragraph should be your first point, give it and then do a counter argument/evaluate (or you could give all points and then evaluate but I advise on doing it as you go).. so you can either do a few (3 to 5) well explained points and evaluations or many less well explained points with evaluation. (did this in my macro paper and managed A* in that)

Always try to get a diagram in wherever you can, this can get you anywhere between 2 and 4/5 marks depending on the type of question e.g. a supply and demand with correct shifts can be 3 marks or an AD/AS can be 4 marks and it makes it easier for you when explaining your points!

ALSO I would say try to make your work neat and organised, this will make LIFE MUCH EASIER for the examiner and if he/she can read your work better and see it is well planned out then you might have a better chance of a higher grade! Another suggestion could be maybe to do a very short plan like bullet points of the essay (don't take too long..).

AND THANKSS, going to be resitting my micro to hopefully get an A*.. :u:

Yes, I absolutely love economics and would like to study it at university!:h: Thank you SO much for these amazing tips; I really hope you manage to get that A* in micro!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest