The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Medicine 2017 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Am doing pre-access cource (3 gcse program). Can i apply to access to medicine?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by meddad
Not sure if I know my stuff but I know what my daughter went through two years ago :smile: Having checked Keele then on paper you look like a strong candidate. That is providing you can present your learning points from your volunteering in a way that satisfys the assessors that you meet their criteria to a high standard. That assessment is subjective and also depends on the quality of the other candidates, so it's uncertain - just in a different way from Leicester. You should have enough material to smash it but I also saw people last year getting interviews at Sheffield which was very PS heavy until last year, but missing out on interview at Nottingham because they only scored 4/15 on their PS. If in your mind the level of uncertainty is fsirly even then go with your heart. If you think your PS (R&R) is going to stand up well against others then maybe go for Keele. Nobody on here can tell you the right answer to that because we've only seen your list of volunteering and achivements. The list scores nothing at all - what scores points is what you gained from that and how you link it to attributes required for a medical career.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Happy for you to PM me if you have questions about what I've said but I don't want to take over this thread.

Thank you so much for all of your time! I will definitely rep you when I get home!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopelessMedic
UKCAT: 713
GCSE: 6A*s 2As.

Is my score 23.5? And if so would that likely be enough for an interview?

43. And yes
I'm a gap year applicant and I score 40/48. Got AAAA at A-Level if that makes a difference. Is it worth applying there or is it a bit of a risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
I'm a gap year applicant and I score 40/48. Got AAAA at A-Level if that makes a difference. Is it worth applying there or is it a bit of a risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be on the threshold I think but 40 is still a good score. It depends if you think the risk is worth it.
Hey guys,One question...When a uni states "A levels must be obtained in one sitting" does this mean I wasn't allowed to retake AS modules to boost my A level grade within the two years?
Original post by LearningGeek
Hey guys,One question...When a uni states "A levels must be obtained in one sitting" does this mean I wasn't allowed to retake AS modules to boost my A level grade within the two years?

Nope, you are allowed AS resits within the 2 year period.
Reply 127
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey,

The UKCAT is marked /24 and GCSEs are marked /24, in a 50:50 ratio.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/documents/a100-scoring-document-2017

Have a look at this ^^ document, it'll tell you exactly how Leicester score them and you can calculate your score from there.

Good luck :-)

Many thanks, this is much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 128
Original post by aRandomGuy
Hey,

The UKCAT is marked /24 and GCSEs are marked /24, in a 50:50 ratio.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/documents/a100-scoring-document-2017

Have a look at this ^^ document, it'll tell you exactly how Leicester score them and you can calculate your score from there.

Good luck :-)

Hi, so I've just calculated my score and unfortunately my really low UKCAT result has seriously hindered my application. :frown:

My total points stand at 38, and I may also have a mitigating circumstances letter ready regarding my GCSEs. Please be honest, would you actually think I may hold some chance of being selected for interview?

Thanks again! :redface:
Original post by I <3 WORK
Hi, so I've just calculated my score and unfortunately my really low UKCAT result has seriously hindered my application. :frown:

My total points stand at 38, and I may also have a mitigating circumstances letter ready regarding my GCSEs. Please be honest, would you actually think I may hold some chance of being selected for interview?

I heard ukcat scores have nosedived recently. So hopefully youll just about be fine unless i heard false info haha
Original post by chrisdale98
I heard ukcat scores have nosedived recently. So hopefully youll just about be fine unless i heard false info haha

Where'd you hear that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
Where'd you hear that from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someones teacher i was told has access to a forum apparently. Nothing official its just something ive heard
Hi Guys. Quick question for those mentioning the 7th of October as the date for release of cut offs - is this for Leicster university interviews? Sorry for the confusion if it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LearningGeek
40.5??? Is it good enough??

21/24 1980 ukcat

Twins.
I have exactly the same ukcat and gcse score as you and im applying 😁
Reply 134

Are you sure though? Because interim results don't exactly imply so. :s-smilie:

Ahh music to my ears :biggrin: (If it's true Lol)

But ultimately we don't know until the end.
Is 42.5 pretty much guaranteed an interview? My personal statement isn't that great. I have everything that is required but it just doesn't flow that well. Thanks.
Original post by cookiemunch12
Is 42.5 pretty much guaranteed an interview? My personal statement isn't that great. I have everything that is required but it just doesn't flow that well. Thanks.

No score guarantees you an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cookiemunch12

All you can say is that last year it would have got you an interview by a margin of 1.5 or 2 points. If Leicester interview the same number of applicants and the same number apply with similar academic qualifications and ukcat scores, then you should be ok. It's certainly worth applying unless you have stronger options.
Original post by I <3 WORK

Unfortunately you wouldn't have got an interview last year. Lots of "ifs and buts" to that - see my previous response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending