The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhoDaresWins
Well what they said is true, a doctor must contribute a lot of his time towards his job. Dentists have more free time and they don't really have to bring their work home.

I know, I always knew that but never will spent much thought into it. The doctors here are trying to give me more perspective on it. I would do dentistry but I don't know if I would enjoy life as a dentist. I guess I'll do medicine and work part time-although I won't be earning loads, I love spending more time with family.
Original post by Selgomez11
I know, I always knew that but never will spent much thought into it. The doctors here are trying to give me more perspective on it. I would do dentistry but I don't know if I would enjoy life as a dentist. I guess I'll do medicine and work part time-although I won't be earning loads, I love spending more time with family.

Wait is that possible?
Hi. Need some suggestions on where to apply.
GCSEs: 7A* 1A
AS: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
UKCAT: 633 average (VR 550, QR 740, AR 610, SJT Band 2)
Not very willing to give the BMAT honestly.
Not much work experience cause here in my country it's extremely difficult to manage some. Trying to reflect on whatever I have currently. I'll mention some more shadowing that I have organised recently. Decent extra-curricular activities. Also, can I apply to 3 medicine courses and 2 Biomed courses with a medicine PS or am I restricted to the 5th choice for courses other than medicine?
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know which uni accepts access to medicine?
Reply 1124
Hi guys!
Just wondering if anyone could advise any med schools to apply to with my current stats.
My top 4 at the moment are Sheffield, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Liverpool but as you will see from my stats, my UKCAT score might mean I need to replace Edinburgh or Newcastle?
GCSEs: 11A*s and 1A.
AS Levels: 4 As in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Latin.
I have dropped latin, and my predicted grades are currently A*AA but I am hoping this will be pushed up to A*A*A* as there is no reason why not?!
UKCAT: Total - 1910 with SJT Band 1. (average 637)
I have got 3 Grade 8s on musical instruments, and have completed my Gold DofE.
My work experience is very good and i have a lot of variety. I have also read a couple of medical books, and I think my Personal Statement is pretty decent :smile:

Any advice would be great! I know its just the UKCAT I need to be weary of in my application!
Reply 1125
Original post by Hiems
Hi guys!
Just wondering if anyone could advise any med schools to apply to with my current stats.
My top 4 at the moment are Sheffield, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Liverpool but as you will see from my stats, my UKCAT score might mean I need to replace Edinburgh or Newcastle?
GCSEs: 11A*s and 1A.
AS Levels: 4 As in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Latin.
I have dropped latin, and my predicted grades are currently A*AA but I am hoping this will be pushed up to A*A*A* as there is no reason why not?!
UKCAT: Total - 1910 with SJT Band 1. (average 637)
I have got 3 Grade 8s on musical instruments, and have completed my Gold DofE.
My work experience is very good and i have a lot of variety. I have also read a couple of medical books, and I think my Personal Statement is pretty decent :smile:

Any advice would be great! I know its just the UKCAT I need to be weary of in my application!

Sheffield have said their cut off last year if they had used UKCAT would be 675 so I'd avoid that.
I doubt you'll meet the cut-off for Newcastle.
Edinburgh is always risky and ideally you'd want a higher UKCAT.
Liverpool you look fine on paper but they're pretty PS heavy so it's always a bit subjective.

My advice is: use your GCSEs!! Look into Birmingham & Cardiff where you'd be very likely to get an interview.
Reply 1126
Original post by Zedna
Sheffield have said their cut off last year if they had used UKCAT would be 675 so I'd avoid that.
I doubt you'll meet the cut-off for Newcastle.
Edinburgh is always risky and ideally you'd want a higher UKCAT.
Liverpool you look fine on paper but they're pretty PS heavy so it's always a bit subjective.

My advice is: use your GCSEs!! Look into Birmingham & Cardiff where you'd be very likely to get an interview.

Just looked at Sheffield website and they've said they require a minimum of 1850/2700!!! :smile: I have 1910, so I hope they use it as a cut off and don't rank the remaining candidates... :tongue:

Thanks for your advice!
Original post by Hiems
Just looked at Sheffield website and they've said they require a minimum of 1850/2700!!! :smile: I have 1910, so I hope they use it as a cut off and don't rank the remaining candidates... :tongue:

Thanks for your advice!

If you go to 'What happens to your applicant' page, they do rank applicants. Just thought I'd let you know so you could make a safer choice unless your heart is set on Sheffield!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475004273.994026.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hiems

Thanks for your advice!

Sheffield are planning to rank via UKCAT this year and although the minimum threshold is 1850, at an open day I attended they said realistically it would be more in the range of 2000/2100- looks like they're set to become the new Newcastle on admissions.

Unless you absolutely love Sheffield I wouldn't risk it, perhaps look into somewhere 'safer' such as Cardiff. Liverpool seems like a great option for your stats so I'd definitely look into that in more detail.
Reply 1129
hi guys, I was wondering what are my chances of an interview at St Mary's university.
My ucas tariff is 304 and my ukcat average is 690 and Band 1 in SJT. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Wait is that possible?

Yes it is, you can even do speciality training and gp registrar part time if you have reasons eg children etc. Generally you can take breaks and do part time but it takes longer to become a consultant- I just asked the consultant in the ward

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Selgomez11
Yes it is, you can even do speciality training and gp registrar part time if you have reasons eg children etc. Generally you can take breaks and do part time but it takes longer to become a consultant- I just asked the consultant in the ward

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how long is that about 12 years to reach consultant level?
Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for the best medical school for me to apply to.
Ones that I'm considering atm are Sheffield, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Bristol and Leicester, with Sheffield being my top choice.

GCSEs: 7A*s and 3As.
AS Levels: 3 As in German, Biology, Psychology and a B in chemistry (:s-smilie:).

I've dropped psychology, and my predicted grades are currently A*AA but my biology may be moved to an A* soon.

UKCAT: Total - 2400 with SJT Band 1. (790,790,820 and 800 average) :biggrin:

I also undertook an EPQ on Antibiotic Resistance and I'm predicted an A*.

I think my personal statement is good and I have great work experience and extracurricular activities (e.g. Musical Instruments, Dofe etc.)

I want to apply smartly and play to my strengths, my ukcat score, but I'm worried my academics won't look that great compared to a lot of applicants.

Any advice welcomed, thank you!
Original post by Tilly_19
Hi guys!

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for the best medical school for me to apply to.
Ones that I'm considering atm are Sheffield, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Bristol and Leicester, with Sheffield being my top choice.

AS Levels: 3 As in German, Biology, Psychology and a B in chemistry (:s-smilie:).

I've dropped psychology, and my predicted grades are currently A*AA but my biology may be moved to an A* soon.

I think my personal statement is good and I have great work experience and extracurricular activities (e.g. Musical Instruments, Dofe etc.)

I want to apply smartly and play to my strengths, my ukcat score, but I'm worried my academics won't look that great compared to a lot of applicants.

I wouldn't go for Bristol, it's 70% personal statement which would waste your ukcat and grades. I think your other options are fine, Southampton are also very ukcat heavy if that's of any interest. I think you would be good for Birmingham too(70% gcses, 30% ukcat).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tilly_19
Hi guys!

I would advise you to apply to much more ukcat heavy unis such as kings, barts and maybe manchester if you are willing to.
Hi everyone,

Apologies for my absence over the past few weeks, been taking some time off TSR to get back into second year, I have noticed I have missed many notification and have a tonne of messages to answer, if anyone has asked me a question and hasnt yet got a answer please can you ask again as my inbox is so behind I just havent got a clue where im up to.
Reply 1136
Original post by flyingpanda
How on earth did you get an A prediction from one of your C or D AS grades?

I got a B in bio, and yet my teacher's is refusing to predict me an A :cry:

ouch idk i guess it really just depends on your teachers and their perception of u and stuff? i was getting A*-B on all my physics tests throughout the year and got an A* in gcse, and my D was close to a C in my exam and my teachers were gonna predict me at least a B anyway so i guess it wasn't that hard to boost it by one grade lol
So how long is that about 12 years to reach consultant level?

So if you're talking about when you finish med school and foundation training, then yes about 12 years.
Reply 1138
My predicted grades are A*AAB
Maths A*Bio A
Chem AEconomics B
EPQ A
AAAB - AS results
8A* and 3A gcses
Ukcat 645 band 3
Am I at disadvantage that I am not predicted an A* in Bio or Chem. - due to the huge competition
I want to apply to KCL, Barts, Bristol, UEA
Original post by 11...
My predicted grades are A*AAB
Maths A*Bio A
Chem AEconomics B
EPQ A
AAAB - AS results
8A* and 3A gcses
Ukcat 645 band 3
Am I at disadvantage that I am not predicted an A* in Bio or Chem. - due to the huge competition
I want to apply to KCL, Barts, Bristol, UEA

Depends on the university, some are considering predicted grades whilst some aren't. Which universities are you going to apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending