The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmmarAliJaved
Hey
I'm an international student from Pakistan
I got 10A* 1A at GCSE (Highest achiever at my school)
(Biology, Chemistry,Physics ,Math, English Language,ComputerScience ,Sociology,EnvironmentalManagement, PakistanStudies,
Urdu, Islamic studies)
AAA at As level (Biology Chemistry Physics)
Predicted 3A* at Alevel
Extensive work experience (schools, hospitals, old age homes, homes for individuals with Down's syndrome etc)
1000+ hours of community service
Strong extra curriculars with various student leadership placements and numerous awards and certificates.
Summer program at brown university
On the honor roll and awarded with a
100% scholarship at my Sixth form college.
4 Clinical research publications on PubMed
(As a contributing author)
And a lot more achievements.

I had hoped to apply to
Oxford
UCL
Kings
Bart's
Manchester/ St. George's
(In order of preference)

But I appeared for the UKCAT with minimal preparation due to lack of resources and guidance (I could find no one who was giving or had given the UKCAT from my city)
I ended up with an average of 600 and Band 2 on SJ. A terrible score.
Can someone guide me as to whether i should forget about Kings and Bart's?
I am currently focusing on the BMAT as 2 of my choices ask for it.
I have a solid personal statement as well and great recommendations.
What should I do?

I think it would be foolish to apply to Kings and Barts with only 600 in the UKCAT, especially as an international student. Make sure you apply wisely. It would be a shame for your other excellent stats to go to waste if you don't.*
Hey
(Biology, Chemistry,Physics ,Math, English Language,ComputerScience ,Sociology,EnvironmentalManagement, PakistanStudies,
Urdu, Islamic studies)
Predicted 3A* at Alevel
Extensive work experience (schools, hospitals, old age homes, homes for individuals with Down's syndrome etc)
Strong extra curriculars with various student leadership placements and numerous awards and certificates.

I had hoped to apply to
Oxford
UCL
Kings
Bart's
Manchester/ St. George's
(In order of preference)

But I appeared for the UKCAT with minimal preparation due to lack of resources and guidance (I could find no one who was giving or had given the UKCAT from my city)
What should I do?

KCL, Barts and especially Manchester is very risky with your UKCAT.

If you like it go for Cardiff, you'll score full for your GCSE's. If your PS is great then Bristol is an option as well.
Original post by Boss987
Hello guys,I want to ask if I can apply to medicine this year and if so where should I apply. I have always wanted to do medicine because it interests me so much, and through work experience, I confirmed this. Any foundation courses will do. I can't do BMAT because most BMAT unis want B for English.GCSE stats:Maths: A*Further Maths AQA : ABiology: AChemistry: APhysics: AICT: AStatistics: AGeography: BEnglish Lang: CEnglish Lit: CFrench: CUkcatVR - 520QR - 740AR - 610SJT - Band 2 Average - 624As - Internal examsA2 predicted grades - AAA - A*AAThanks in advance guys.

Its going to be really tough with a C in English. You'll have to check the GCSE requirements for each uni, many will want a B or above but not all. Best of luck
Hey
Urdu, Islamic studies)
Predicted 3A* at Alevel

I had hoped to apply to
Oxford
UCL
Kings
Bart's
Manchester/ St. George's
(In order of preference)

What should I do?

wow cool Brown University!!!:redface:
Hey guys

I am a 2015 graduate in biomedical science (2:1) looking to study medicine. I was initially looking to apply for the 4 year graduate scheme but having seen the ridiculous competitiveness I'm leaning more towards the 5 year course. The only 4 year course I am applying to is Birmingham. For the 5 year course I am looking at Southampton, King's and Bart's. They are UKCAT competitive unis as well but I haven't looked much into the other UKCAT universities because those are the ones that stood out to me. My stats are

UKCAT - VR: 590, QR: 700, AR: 770, TOTAL: 2060, AVG 690 Band 1
2:1 Biomedical Science
A level: ABC
GCSEs: 5As 5Bs 1 B-tech Distinction

I'm currently working as a phlebotomist for a private hospital and I've done plenty of healthcare work in the UK and abroad so work experience isn't a problem. However, my concern is my UKCAT score for the UKCAT competitive universities. At the moment I've only just scraped the 7th decile but I don't know if this will be good enough for the unis I'm looking to apply to. Does anyone have any suggestions as to any other UKCAT universities I should consider in order to maximise my chances of being invited for an interview? Also, I know Birmingham are very keen on academic achievement and prefer graduates with first class degrees as well as having excellent a levels. Are my chances hindered based on my stats? If anybody has some insight into this I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello guys,I want to ask if I can apply to medicine this year and if so where should I apply. I have always wanted to do medicine because it interests me so much, and through work experience, I confirmed this. Any foundation courses will do. I can't do BMAT because most BMAT unis want B for English.
GCSE stats:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA : A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

Ukcat
VR - 520
QR - 740
AR - 610
SJT - Band 2
Average - 624

AS - Internal exams
A2 predicted grades - AAA - A*AA
Thanks in advance guys.
(edited 7 years ago)
are any Scottish Applicants applying to any non-Scottish unis and if so what ones and why? I've been looking around and on a lot of the websites the requirements for Scottish applicants are a bit less than what Scottish unis ask for and seeing as I only have AAAAB at Higher I'm considering maybe applying down south
Reply 1187
Original post by hopeforunderdog
are any Scottish Applicants applying to any non-Scottish unis and if so what ones and why? I've been looking around and on a lot of the websites the requirements for Scottish applicants are a bit less than what Scottish unis ask for and seeing as I only have AAAAB at Higher I'm considering maybe applying down south

what did you get for your ukcat and what are you predicted for S6.
Hi, which unis have low GCSE requirements as I got 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (unfortunately a B in eng lit + lang). I didn't get overly high in UKCAT either (660 av). I feel as tho I won't be abe to get into any unis with these as although they have low gcse and ukcat requirements they often only take the best for interviews and offers. Any advice would really be appreciated.
GCSES- 8A* 1 A. AS Levels- AABCC. Predicted- AAA (Bio, Chem and Maths). UKCAT- Avg. 647 Band 1 SJT. Have got a decent PS underway (deadline next week). I have a couple of Unis in mind for medicine but struggling at the moment any recommendations anyone for the stats I have?/Any advice...
Hi everyone,

I'm sending my application away next week and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of UKCAT score you need for Edinburgh? I got 710 average (VR 670, QR 770 and AR 690) and Band 1.

I have 11A* GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predictions so I know I fulfil all the academic criteria.

Assuming my personal statement is good (not sure if it is or not lol) do I stand a chance of getting an Edinburgh offer? My UKCAT is my main concern

Thanks!
Hello,:biggrin::wink::redface:I’m an international student. I got 4A in AS level (Bio, Chem, Physics, Math) and my predicted grades are 3A* and 1A. My UKCAT score was 2110 (Overall) or 703.33 (average) with band2 in SJ😓. Actually, I got 550 VR😢, 770 QR, and 790 AR.
Also, I only did 6 IGCSEs (3A* and 3A) in total. Any UK university you would recommend or any uni that you think I still have a chance? Please help><.... Thank you sooooo much:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hopeforunderdog
Is anyone freaking about their personal statement? I find it so hard to explain why I want to study medicine in such a short amount of words:frown:

Sameeee
Original post by Bright_Gift
Sameeee

I couldn't do it and didn't want to ramble or sound cliché so I just said about technology and advancements, gave examples and how they have saved lives and said how it's constantly changing, need to always keep learning snd how I want to be part of this while helping people (Not that exact phrasing and cringe but general gist)
Original post by emerj98_
Hi everyone,

I'm sending my application away next week and was wondering if anyone knows what sort of UKCAT score you need for Edinburgh? I got 710 average (VR 670, QR 770 and AR 690) and Band 1.

I have 11A* GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A*A* predictions so I know I fulfil all the academic criteria.

Assuming my personal statement is good (not sure if it is or not lol) do I stand a chance of getting an Edinburgh offer? My UKCAT is my main concern

Thanks!

Your UKCAT is absolutely amazing, don't worry. I think you stand a good chance, but it always is difficult to say with Edinburgh since it is so competitive. Try for it anyway, since you stand a really good chance, as long as your PS is good also!
Original post by Gogregg
START OF YEAR 12:

I was wondering where a medicine applicants 2017 thread would be :colondollar:

I got 7A* 3A (Including English lit and lang :frown:) and 1B (drama, lol) in my GCSEs and I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology Chemistry and Physics. Predicted 4A* 1A for A2 (A in maths :colonhash:) Although, at this rate I may drop Physics before taking it at AS, definitely will drop it afterwards.

My GCSE's aren't ideal (damn English grades!) but they are good, so I'm happy about that, but it means I can't apply to some universities...

I don't have any work experience (as of yet) but I find it amazing that some universities ask for at least 2 weeks of it (Do all of them ask that, or just some, because it is so difficult, especially for people born in summer like me...), and also, what counts as work experience?

In terms of extra curricular, I do babysitting from time to time, I volunteer at a local charity shop for two hours every week and have been doing so for almost 2 years, I volunteer with Revive through my school (a charity which helps with asylum seekers, giving them a friendly face, helping them to live in England, and teaching them English (I haven't actually gone to the centre due to FMaths, but they don't need to know that? Right? :colondollar:))

I'll also be doing DofE Gold (Hopefully :u:)

I'm currently hoping to apply to Keele, but I'm still not really sure, and haven't done enough research on the universities...

END OF YEAR 12:

Okay, so now that I've got everything else that matters for application, here's what I got:AS Levels - AAAA In Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry (Dropped Physics at Christmas - found it dull and I thought it would drag my grades down, since I was not motivated to revise it at all)Predicted A Levels - A*A*A* (I think, lol) I've dropped Further Maths as, even though I really enjoy it, there was no point in continuing it on :redface:UKCAT - 2360 Band 1 (787 average)Work experience:

A day at Salford Royal Hospital, speaking to a consultant and getting shown around, getting an idea of what being in a hospital is like. Wasn't formal work experience, since I didn't actually take part in anything, I was just shown around, etc.

Not really work experience per se, but I did a few shifts on the hospital ward when I went to Lourdes over summer.

I work at a bar.

Volunteer Work:

at the time of application, I will have had 2.5 years at a charity shop (CRUK) working on the till.

at the time of application, I will have had 6 months at a care home.

NCS

I decided against DofE :smile:I'm thinking that I'm going to apply to Plymouth, Newcastle, UEA and BSMS, but I'm going to look at some of the Scottish universities next week, so we'll see what I think of them, and I've also been considering Barts and the London.

Great stats! You should apply to kings! Apparently the ukcat cut off for newcastle this year is gonna be 800. Heard it from a staff
Original post by linaaa1123
Great stats! You should apply to kings! Apparently the ukcat cut off for newcastle this year is gonna be 800. Heard it from a staff

Well that's just obvious *******s.
Are you sure you heard that from staff?
Original post by Gogregg

I'm SOOOO FREAKIN UPSET THAT IT MIGHT BE 800!!! ******** lots of people have been talking about it, My scores 730 and i dunno what im gonna do. do you have any advice???
Original post by Gogregg

That's definitely not going to happen.
Original post by linaaa1123
I'm SOOOO FREAKIN UPSET THAT IT MIGHT BE 800!!! ******** lots of people have been talking about it, My scores 730 and i dunno what im gonna do. do you have any advice???

It will never be 800. Look at the interim results where the top decile is around 700, and look at the previous cut-off scores. Only when the overall average was really inflated due to one section having an average score over all test-takers of 770, was the cut-off score higher than 700. Even then it was only a cut-off of 750, so it will never be 800.

Don't listen to their scaremongering, because it will never be that high!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending