The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueribbons99
c was in PE and then I got a B in both of the English GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Bs in English will hold you back a bit, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem, granted you get a good UKCAT score and good A-Levels.
Original post by Gogregg
The Bs in English will hold you back a bit, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem, granted you get a good UKCAT score and good A-Levels.

Okay thank you, medicine isn't my main priority anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thank you, medicine isn't my main priority anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate to be this brutally honest, but, if medicine isn't your main priority, then don't apply. You really need to be dedicated for this course. You need to love it, otherwise it will be hell if you even get a place.
Original post by Gogregg
I hate to be this brutally honest, but, if medicine isn't your main priority, then don't apply. You really need to be dedicated for this course. You need to love it, otherwise it will be hell if you even get a place.

Not planning on applying at the moment, just wondering if I would get in if I decided too, I'm unsure on what degree I want to do at the moment, there's no harm in wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not planning on applying at the moment, just wondering if I would get in if I decided too, I'm unsure on what degree I want to do at the moment, there's no harm in wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's alright, sorry if I came across as standoffish :h:
I'd say definitely do some work experience of some sort to see if it's for you :u:
Original post by Gogregg
That's alright, sorry if I came across as standoffish :h:
I'd say definitely do some work experience of some sort to see if it's for you :u:

It's fine :smile: and yeah I'm planning on it, as long as I don't turn out to be completely sh*t at chemistry during these next 2 years I think I'm going to do a chemistry degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's fine :smile: and yeah I'm planning on it, as long as I don't turn out to be completely sh*t at chemistry during these next 2 years I think I'm going to do a chemistry degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking about this for a while. I LOVE chemistry lol, let me know how it goes. I'm sure you'll get in with those excellent grades! I had a change in career path after doing work experience which I would highly recommend. Just so you have peace of mind and don't need to go down the harder route - grad entry. :smile:
Reply 1227
Hi all? I would like some advice on which universities you would apply with my profile.
GCSEs:7A*s 4As
A-levels: 4A*s in Bio Chem Maths Further Maths
UKCAT:723 SJT Band 3
PS: Week in Tanzanian Hospital, Week in London Hospital, Week in GP, Week in Pharmacy, 1 year in care home

I applied for 2016 I got rejected by Kings (interview), QM(interview), SGUL(interview), Notts
This will be my third time, and most likely my last time so I want to maximize my chance. Please advise.
Original post by fa97
Hi all? I would like some advice on which universities you would apply with my profile.
PS: Week in Tanzanian Hospital, Week in London Hospital, Week in GP, Week in Pharmacy, 1 year in care home

I applied for 2016 I got rejected by Kings (interview), QM(interview), SGUL(interview), Notts
This will be my third time, and most likely my last time so I want to maximize my chance. Please advise.

Hi, your stats are great. What reason do you think you go rejected during the interviews? I would say you should apply to universities that will like your care commitment eg Keele. Cardiff would like your stats too.
Hello! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really delighted with how in the UKCAT I did given my low expectations. Thinking my application will be Glasgow, Manchester, QUB ( I live in Belfast, but would really like to go away for university, and while QUB is great I hope this isn't my only offer), and possibly Birmingham/HYMS. What do you think of medicine as a course and what's it like to study it at Manchester? Is it an expensive city to live in? Did you get campus/university accommodation in first year? Do you have much free time?My full stats are currently: AS Levels: AAAA (bio,chem,politics, English)Predicted A2: A*A*A (though to be honest I personally expect 1 A*) GCSE's: 9A*s, A, BUKCAT: 703.33 avg band 2TOTAL: 2110 Work Exp: Volunteering in an A+E dept. currently, have shadowed an Upper GI Surgeon for one day, GP surgery and Children's Hospice days.I would be delighted and grateful for any advice as I'm sure you're extremely busy!! Thank you so much!
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying to in and getting an interview.
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done work experience in pharmacies, part time job at pharmacy, ncs, shadowing, volunteer in a care home...
I really loved Newcastle at first but my UKCAT score isn't high enough I don't think to apply:frown: And I love Cardiff but don't think I have enough A*s to apply there either! :frown: I'm considering Hull York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Liverpool/Manchester/Sheffield, Bristol. Any advice of which ones to avoid and which I have the best chance of getting an interview, or any recommendations for other unis to look at
Thank you so much!!!
Hey guys,Im a first year medic at Aberdeen University. I was where you all are a year ago so if you ave any questions about the process or whatever give me a shout I'm here to help :smile:
Original post by Euan1603
Hey Guys, this thread has been great so far! Where do you guys think I should apply, I'm a Scottish applicant so staying in Scotland would be ideal but I'm open to go elsewhere. Stats are as followsNat5/GCSE - 7AHighers AAAAB, possibly AAAAA, get my remark back tomorrow!Advanced Highers AAA (predicted)Work experience.Home visits with GP, 5 days in various dept at hospital, 2 days in Maxillofacial surgery.VolunteeringAt charity events, in a trauma Ward as a meal time helper and in centre for disabled adults both for a year.UKCAT 677 Band 2I really appreciate any advice thanks!

Those are really good stats for deen, dundee and glasgow, Id avoid andrews and Edinburgh with the ukcat (but I didnt apply to Edinburgh I just heard it's highly competitive and risky) If you have high volunteering hull and york could be a good place to apply or keele maybe? I got into Aberdeen with a much lower ukcat score so I would highly suggest applying there if you want an interview :smile: best advice is to have three safer med schools like where you think you will get an interview and then one risky med school e.g St Andrews if you wanted a particular medical school. In all honesty though, I had no intention of going to Aberdeen for medicine and now I'm here I just love it, I could not imagine being anywhere else (Im not a rep for Aberdeen btw haha) but it just goes to show where you think you want to go and what is the best place for you to go are sometimes different things! Remember that in this process because rejections happen but it works out for the better somtimes! <3
So I got 2A*s,4A,2Bs and a C, even if I got AAAA in maths, chemistry, physics and biology is Medicine of the cards for me? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ofc it is! those are better stats than mine and Im a 1st year! where were you thinking of applying?
Original post by fa97

Hey with those stats places like newcastle, QMB and perhaps Birmingham (dependent on last years GCSE's scores) would be good, but also (not trying to rep the Scottish med schools too much but) Dundee Glasgow and Aberdeen would be pretty much guaranteed interviews with those stats! Avoid unis that look at your band thought most reject if its more than band 3 :L I dont know if thats any help but those are the medical schools I would look at!
Reply 1235
Original post by Bumblebea77
Hey guys,Im a first year medic at Aberdeen University. I was where you all are a year ago so if you ave any questions about the process or whatever give me a shout I'm here to help :smile:

hey, i'm trying to decide between dundee and aberdeen for my fourth option. how do you feel about the quality of teaching and the structure of the course at aberdeen?

my stats are 7A* 4A at gcse, predicted A*A*A, UKCAT 683 band 1. atm i'm considering just applying to dundee because it's a lot closer and easier to get to, but if i have higher chances at aberdeen/aberdeen's course is better etc i might apply there instead. thanks in advance!
Original post by zmlk
hey, i'm trying to decide between dundee and aberdeen for my fourth option. how do you feel about the quality of teaching and the structure of the course at aberdeen?

my stats are 7A* 4A at gcse, predicted A*A*A, UKCAT 683 band 1. atm i'm considering just applying to dundee because it's a lot closer and easier to get to, but if i have higher chances at aberdeen/aberdeen's course is better etc i might apply there instead. thanks in advance!

Hey. I know that Dundee use your grades to get you the interview and once you got an interview then you're in the same position as everyone else. Whereas Aberdeen still take into account other stuff after interview. I got this information from Dundee's own website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bumblebea77
Those are really good stats for deen, dundee and glasgow, Id avoid andrews and Edinburgh with the ukcat (but I didnt apply to Edinburgh I just heard it's highly competitive and risky) If you have high volunteering hull and york could be a good place to apply or keele maybe? I got into Aberdeen with a much lower ukcat score so I would highly suggest applying there if you want an interview :smile: best advice is to have three safer med schools like where you think you will get an interview and then one risky med school e.g St Andrews if you wanted a particular medical school. In all honesty though, I had no intention of going to Aberdeen for medicine and now I'm here I just love it, I could not imagine being anywhere else (Im not a rep for Aberdeen btw haha) but it just goes to show where you think you want to go and what is the best place for you to go are sometimes different things! Remember that in this process because rejections happen but it works out for the better somtimes! <3

What were your stats last year if you don't mind me asking?
Hey everyone I've got a final draft of my personal statement should fire that off in the upcoming day but in regards to references and predicted grades how does this work? My teacher has written a reference will she just fill that in? Or do I need to collect these myself?
Original post by Nuba123
Hey everyone I've got a final draft of my personal statement should fire that off in the upcoming day but in regards to references and predicted grades how does this work? My teacher has written a reference will she just fill that in? Or do I need to collect these myself?

Nope just fill out your UCAS form. It'll then go to your school for your referee to write you a reference. You don't have to worry about anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending