The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
10% UKCAT, 20% academics and 70% on your PS (how many times do we have to repeat this?). Higher grades, = slightly higher score but as its only 20% it isnt going to be the deal breaker - its your PS that is critical for Bristol.

Offers are made purely on your interview score.

No need for the brackets I'm more than aware of that, other medical schools actually put numbers on grades at GCSE and some like predicted grades higher but some may say you only need to predicted AAA and you didn't really answer my question properly but thanks anyway
Original post by munchkin1212
But how do I tell whether I'm sure? Aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I know this is going to sound cheesy but - for me at least - you just *know*. I've heard a lot of doctors and med students say that if you don't feel like medicine is exactly what you want to do and you could never do anything else, medicine isn't the course for you. For me at least, it's just the only choice I could ever make. I know that's probably not helpful but it's probably the best advice I could give, just because medicine is supposed to be such a demanding course
Original post by munchkin1212
But how do I tell whether I'm sure? Aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because most of us are already so sucked into this whole Medicine thing and I feel like it's too late to even go back. If you're still contemplating medicine, I'd say you are unsure.

Personally for me, Medicine is something I was contemplating for over four years. There are so many cons obviously and it's not something that you're just born knowing you want to do. Anyone who does decide at the age of 3 that they wanna be a doctor and never stops to consider any other career may be in trouble in the future.

Basically, if you choose one, will you ever at the age of 80 think in your head 'If only I'd done the other' because that's not the position you wanna be in. :smile:
Just sent off my application! Predicted AAC for advanced highers - chemistry teacher is harsh af. :/ She's not budging tbh.
FINAL UKCAT MEAN SCORES FOR 2016
VR- 573
QR- 690
AR- 630
Mean total- 1893

Mean for 2015 was 1902 (-DA), so overall the scores have fallen slightly from 2015.

9th decile has fallen from 2160 to 2150. So if you know the university thresholds for last year then you can assume they'll be roughly the same this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 2020 on UKCAT. what decile am i???
Original post by Mr PB
I got 2020 on UKCAT. what decile am i???

You're in the 7th Decile :smile:
Sent my UCAS application today, now the wait begins :colondollar:
Which of the universities that don't require biology are GCSE heavy??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabella1999
Sent my UCAS application today, now the wait begins :colondollar:

Me too ahhh! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michrab123
Me too ahhh! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too!
Hi, just wondering what people think my chances are for getting an interview at Manchester or Liverpool for medicine...
GCSEs= 4A*, 10A, 1B
As-levels = 4As
Predicted A-levels = A*A*A
UKCAT average = 617 and band 1 (so not great)
Personal statement is good, lots of work experience and voluntary, doing gold DofE etc.
References are really good
Original post by emma.sx
Hi, just wondering what people think my chances are for getting an interview at Manchester or Liverpool for medicine...
GCSEs= 4A*, 10A, 1B
As-levels = 4As
Predicted A-levels = A*A*A
UKCAT average = 617 and band 1 (so not great)
Personal statement is good, lots of work experience and voluntary, doing gold DofE etc.
References are really good

Manchester seems fairly risky as their cut-off last year for the UKCAT was 665. Liverpool seems more safer than Manchester as their cut-off last year was 625. Liverpool use UKCAT cut off in addition to the personal statement
Your grades are very good, and if you feel you PS is strong you could apply to PS heavy unis such as bristol (70% PS, 20% academic, 10% UKCAT)
You could also take the BMAT
Thanks I've been looking for last years ukcat cut offs and couldn't find them, so that's really helpful! :smile: The other two unis I've applied to are Lancaster and Leeds so I've signed up for BMAT which is in a few weeks, I'm hoping that goes well!
Original post by zmlk
hey, i'm trying to decide between dundee and aberdeen for my fourth option. how do you feel about the quality of teaching and the structure of the course at aberdeen?

my stats are 7A* 4A at gcse, predicted A*A*A, UKCAT 683 band 1. atm i'm considering just applying to dundee because it's a lot closer and easier to get to, but if i have higher chances at aberdeen/aberdeen's course is better etc i might apply there instead. thanks in advance!

Hi! You're stats are crazy good! I think you'd def get an interview at aberdeen (but it depends on the cycle) but those stats would also give you a huge chance at getting an offer at dundee! I just checked the ukcat 2017 use of ukcat scores (http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Using%20my%202016%20UKCAT%20Result.pdf) and seems dundee dont have a cut off a bit like aberdeen and don't seem to rank GCSE scores (from what I can see in a quick look). I would say you had a good chance a both tbh! Apply to where you would regret not applying to if that makes sense! If you pick 3 safe unis and a risky one with those stats you should be good for an interview at most!
Using the nottingham website, I worked out that my score would be 37/46. is this high enough? competitive? low?
Help
Using the nottingham website, I worked out that my score would be 37/46. is this high enough? competitive? low?

Help
Hey guys,
I'm trying to decide my 4th option and I'd love some advice!
My chosen 3 are Oxford, UCL and Bristol
Stats:
GCSE - 10 A*'s and 1A, AS - 5 A's and A level (bio, chem, maths predicted 3 A*)
UKCAT - 633 average, band 3
I think with my UKCAT score, options are Birmingham, Cardiff, Keele, Nottingham, Leicester...
Which do you think I could have the best chance at? Are they any unis which I've missed and can also consider?
Thanks!
Hey, i forgot to declare my FSMQ and general studies exam on my ucas form and my teacher didnt check it and just sent it off. It went a day ago. What can i do?
Original post by chrisdale98
Hey, i forgot to declare my FSMQ and general studies exam on my ucas form and my teacher didnt check it and just sent it off. It went a day ago. What can i do?

Get in touch with your teacher I think you can make changes up to 7 days after you've sent you application. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending