The Student Room Group

I want to start learning a new language

I want to start learning a new language . For business .Which one would you suggest and why?:biggrin:

Chinese or Japanese?
Reply 1
there is some truth to these rankings as they are used in the professional world http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty as you can see both Chinese (mandarin) and Japanese are in the same category where it's estimated a whopping 2200 hours to learn them. Howvere japanese has an asterisk which indicates it is that little bit more trickier than the other languages. I would suggest Chinese for business as shown it is generally easier (by a bit) and China is a staple in world business
It helps to know that Japanese has three writing styles one of which includes Chinese characters . Idk if that helps with your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
oK thanks, I will try chinese as it's easier and it's important in business.
Mandarin
Chinese is used a lot in business and not only this but its a very tough language that many wish they knew how to speak so learn it!
Mandarin! Then you can learn japanese after because I heard itd be easier
I think that's up to you to decide. Picking a language that you enjoy may motivate you to learn the language and it may be easier and fun.

But for business, I would choose Chinese, there are many types of Chinese. Mandarin and Cantonese are examples. Mandarin is the most useful and there are more speakers than any other Chinese. Chinese is a beautiful language. I'm glad I know it. :smile:

After you learn Chinese, it will be simple to learn Japanese as the kanji is taken from Chinese characters. However, there is some kanjis where it is not the same as Chinese so be careful. ^^

Chinese can help learning other languages easier. Once you know it, Korean can also be easy.

I hope this helped!

Original post by Johnpolo
I want to start learning a new language . For business .Which one would you suggest and why?:biggrin:

Chinese or Japanese?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
oK thanks, I will try chinese as it's easier and it's important in business.

Also it helps if you're invested in the culture. Are you more into japanese or chinese culture? If neither then just start researching into history and culture of china, see if you find anything you find interesting! Definitely helps when learning a language.
I studied Japanese for 2 years at university and it's not as hard as a lot of people think! Advantage is that not that many people can speak it, it's a very unique skill to have. There are two main languages in China, Mandarin and Cantonese. I think Mandarin is the more common one, and the advantage of learning that one is that there will be a much more people that also speak this!

Having a language is so beneficial, a lot of job applications now are looking for candidates that can speak a second language. It will give you such an upper hand over other candidates.

http://advice.milkround.com/how-languages-can-make-your-cv-stand-out-from-the-crowd
Reply 9
Oh, and to add, personally, when it comes to learning new languages, I have always favored the Russian language.
Reply 10
I had my first exam in chinese on Monday . I got 64%. Its not as hard as people think numbers dates etc are easy.
btw I think the teacher likes me, she's much younger than me.

I like a girl who sits opposite to me, She's checking on me all the time and she's cute. I have to get her phonenumber asap but I dont know how.

ni hao ma?
wo hen hao, ni ne?
.:biggrin:

<br>
学习 汉语
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I had my first exam in chinese on Monday . I got 64%. Its not as hard as people think numbers dates etc are easy.
btw I think the teacher likes me, she's much younger than me.

I like a girl who sits opposite to me, She's checking on me all the time and she's cute. I have to get her phonenumber asap.

ni hao ma?
wo hen hao, ni ne?
.:biggrin:

<br>
学习 汉语

are you legit taking classes lol
Reply 12
umm neither - Spanish!

Well ok, if you have to do one for business, then obviously Chinese. Where else will big business be in the next 20 years!

But seriously, if you're not hinged on which particular language you want then if you're purely talking business then it's gotta be between Spanish and Chinese as the two most spoken languages in the world and some huge developing economies.
Chinese!
I've been learning chinese and it's amazing - it's definitely not 'the world's hardest language'. I think that the hard stuff comes right at the start rather than later (like it does in european languages - conjugations anyone?) with tones and characters. But once you've got your head past that, the grammar is practically non-existent and it feels amazing when you look at a page of writing with no letters on it and you understand what it means. European languages just don't do that.
I've been learning Japanese for 3 years and honestly unless you have plans to go and immediately live there it's really not worth the time. Learn Chinese.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending