The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nu7
Forgot to write an "and" in my personal statement between two words, my application was sent off on Thursday, called UCAS and they told me to contact the universities with my edited version (with the and), do you think me contacting them before the deadline will give me a chance of them replacing the incorrect personal statement? :frown:

Its definitely best to try and contact them. You dont want to have to tell them later on because anything should be provided before the deadline.

Best of luck
Original post by Nevergiveup123
Hello everyone,

I need help to decide whther i should apply to these unis or whther i should hav any safe choices

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
A level predictions - A*A*A*
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

Your stats are amazing! I think you'll definately get offers from manchester and Liverpool and with a score like that on the ukcat, you'll likely ace at least the first section of the BMAT :smile:
Original post by Kantth1
Hi there,

Im gunna be honest and say you couldve guaranteed interview at other unis however if you like your choices then definitely apply because your application looks really good for any university.

The risk is that if you screw up the bmat your stuck with two unis where your not totally guaranteed interview due to the subjectiveness of both your personal statement (for liverpool) and the NAI form (for manchester).

But then again its your decision and i hope you the very best. 😎👍🏿

Thank you this was very helpful. I understand where your coming from but i really like these two unis and that is the reason i have applied to them. I know their risky but theres no point in applying to unis i dont even want to study at.
Original post by emma.sx
Your stats are amazing! I think you'll definately get offers from manchester and Liverpool and with a score like that on the ukcat, you'll likely ace at least the first section of the BMAT :smile:

I hope so 😊
Hello everyone,

I need help to decide whther i should apply to these unis or whther i should hav any safe choices

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

With that UKCAT definitely Newcastle, and with those GCSEs definitely Cardiff.
Hello everyone,

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

I would have gone with Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton as they rank Ukcat. I would have gone with oxford rather than Cambridge with your GCSEs unless your AS ums is above 95, and definitely Cardiff with those GCSEs! I'm not sure about UCL though, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello guys,
These are my stats:
GCSE stats:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

Ukcat
VR - 520
QR - 740
AR - 610
SJT - Band 2
Average - 624
AS - Internal exams
A2 predicted grades - AAA
I have chosen
Newcastle Partners
Exeter
Plymouth
Aberdeen
Would I get any offers this year, please be honest. Should I swap Exeter with Sheffield a because there is no point in applying with 3A predictions as people apply with 3A* predictions? Should I change any other choices, please tell me?Thanks in advance guys.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
His profile seems too good to be true, given the weak logic he's used when choosing those universities.

I gotta agree with you there - EVERYTHING about his stats are outstanding which I have never before seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boss987
Hello guys,
These are my stats:
GCSE stats:
Maths: A*
Further Maths AQA: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

Ukcat
VR - 520
QR - 740
AR - 610
SJT - Band 2
Average - 624
AS - Internal exams
A2 predicted grades - AAA
I have chosen
Newcastle Partners
Exeter
Plymouth
Aberdeen
Would I get any offers this year, please be honest. Should I swap Exeter with Sheffield a because there is no point in applying with 3A predictions as people apply with 3A* predictions? Should I change any other choices, please tell me?Thanks in advance guys.

I think Exeter seems a bit of a risk seeing as they use a tier system where the more A* predictions the better and as you say a lot of people will be applying with A*A*A*/A*A*A, however anything could happen so fingers crossed. Plymouth and Aberdeen both seem like fair choices. Best of luck with your application!
Original post by elish2chambers
I think Exeter seems a bit of a risk seeing as they use a tier system where the more A* predictions the better and as you say a lot of people will be applying with A*A*A*/A*A*A, however anything could happen so fingers crossed. Plymouth and Aberdeen both seem like fair choices. Best of luck with your application!

Hi I was wondering whether you knew how exter use the ukcat? I have 3A* predictions and also predicted a* in the epq. However I got 620 band 1 ukcat. Do they only apply the ukcat to yhe lower tiers or will they apply It to tier 1 if it is oversubscribed? Thanks
Hello everyone,

Stats
GCSE - 14A*
As level - AAAAA
Ukcat - 817

Choices
Cambridge
UCL
Manchester
Liverpool

Out of interest what band did you get for situational judgement?
Original post by tangled23
Hi I was wondering whether you knew how exter use the ukcat? I have 3A* predictions and also predicted a* in the epq. However I got 620 band 1 ukcat. Do they only apply the ukcat to yhe lower tiers or will they apply It to tier 1 if it is oversubscribed? Thanks

I believe they only look at UKCAT if tier 1 (3A* predictions or A*A*A achieved) is oversubscribed, however I am not 100% sure on this as I'm not applying here so I haven't looked in too much detail at their admissions policy, but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to offer more concrete advice.
With everyone applications in now, best of luck guys!!:smile: Now the waiting game begins
Original post by HopelessMedic
With everyone applications in now, best of luck guys!!:smile: Now the waiting game begins

You too!! and good luck to everyone else :smile:
Original post by Kantth1
You too!! and good luck to everyone else :smile:

Good luck everyone!
Original post by mj14097
Hi, I would like some advice please

I am on a second gap year A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths (on my gap year I done A2 further maths and got an A*, i know this does not count).
723 UKCAT7A*s and 4 A's GCSE
Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital, Care Home, I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Last year I got rejected with 685 Band 3 from Kings(interview) Queen Mary(interview) SGUL(interview) Notts(no interview)

Is it worth while to reapply to kings. i'm planning to apply to Leicester and Manchester. Not sure about the 4th, Glasgow, keele, uea, exeter?

Hmm I don't think you should apply to foundation courses as your grades are good enough. So you should Deffo apply for 5 year courses. Deffo recommend Leicester. Although most unis don't take retakes unless extinguishing circumstances. It's the retake but that's the problem. Good luck- I'll message you if I hear anything about unis that take retakes. Try to apply to kings though-
Original post by Sulee
In a following reply, he said 'their' instead of 'they're'. No one with 14A*s and 5As at AS makes that mistake, regardless of how casual they're being. I know I'm being pedantic and sound bitter, but they are clearly lying. No one gets 5As then drops two A levels, knowing they'd be perfectly capable of doing 4 and achieving 4A*s, if not all 5.

That makes so much more sense than someone with a UkCAT of 817 (817!) not applying to at least one UKCAT heavy uni where they are quaranteed an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linaaa1123
most unis don't take retakes

Bristol now does.
Original post by linaaa1123
Hmm I don't think you should apply to foundation courses as your grades are good enough. So you should Deffo apply for 5 year courses. Deffo recommend Leicester. Although most unis don't take retakes unless extinguishing circumstances. It's the retake but that's the problem. Good luck- I'll message you if I hear anything about unis that take retakes. Try to apply to kings though-

Thank you for the advice! Just to clarify I haven't done any retakes.
Was just wondering how is everyone going to prep for interviews? If I get any (lol), I just wanted to find out if it is really worth purchasing any books? I purchased 3 books for the UKCAT and only really found 1 useful... Can't be bothered splashing out again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending