The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
Was just wondering how is everyone going to prep for interviews? If I get any (lol), I just wanted to find out if it is really worth purchasing any books? I purchased 3 books for the UKCAT and only really found 1 useful... Can't be bothered splashing out again.

I've got A Short Introduction to Medical Ethics, which is interesting and could help, and it's only about £5 :h:
[QUOTE="Gogregg;68063288"]I've got A Short Introduction to Medical Ethics, which is interesting and could help, and it's only about £5 :h:[/QUOTE
Thanks! Going to invest in that ASAP. Are you a Scottish applicant? Btw how expensive are the books for this year tho? I need so many... :frown: lol
Original post by Nuba123
Was just wondering how is everyone going to prep for interviews? If I get any (lol), I just wanted to find out if it is really worth purchasing any books? I purchased 3 books for the UKCAT and only really found 1 useful... Can't be bothered splashing out again.

I'm gonna learn my personal statement inside out
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emma.sx
I'm gonna learn my personal statement inside out

Haha same! I've not read my PS in like a week - it's strange considering I spent almost every day on it for like 3 weeks. :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Thanks! Going to invest in that ASAP. Are you a Scottish applicant? Btw how expensive are the books for this year tho? I need so many... :frown: lol

Nope, I'm an RUK applicant :h:
Which books?
Original post by Gogregg
Nope, I'm an RUK applicant :h:
Which books?

Ahh okay. :smile:

Well I'm sitting 3 advanced highers this year and so far my total for books has exceeded £50 :/. And on top of that I was going to buy this other interview book but I think I'm just going to leave that and buy the medical ethics one because it's cheaper, lol. I'm not broke (nothing wrong with that) but I don't like asking my parents to buy me like 4 millions book but I guess I need them tbh. XD
Original post by Nuba123
Haha same! I've not read my PS in like a week - it's strange considering I spent almost every day on it for like 3 weeks. :biggrin:

I've put how I can do basic sign language and some medical sign language in my ps, which I can, but by the time it gets to interviews I may have forgotten it, so I'm defo gonna practice that
Original post by Nuba123
Ahh okay. :smile:

Well I'm sitting 3 advanced highers this year and so far my total for books has exceeded £50 :/. And on top of that I was going to buy this other interview book but I think I'm just going to leave that and buy the medical ethics one because it's cheaper, lol. I'm not broke (nothing wrong with that) but I don't like asking my parents to buy me like 4 millions book but I guess I need them tbh. XD

That is a lot :redface:
I think every other applicant in my school has the ISC interview practice book and I've seen it, but while it is very good, most the questions don't seem to be the type that will come up in MMI, and may only be relevant to panel interviews, which there are very few of nowadays?
Besides, you don't want to sound like the authors of the ISC book, you want to sound like yourself, even if it isn't completely polished :wink: Just don't spout nonsense and know your ethics and recent medical news and we should be fine!

I'm the same! I feel dead awkward asking my parents to buy me all these prep books, especially since none of my brothers or sisters had these since they weren't applying for medicine or anything, but they're very understanding of it, but I still feel so awkward!
Original post by emma.sx
I've put how I can do basic sign language and some medical sign language in my ps, which I can, but by the time it gets to interviews I may have forgotten it, so I'm defo gonna practice that

Omg no way! That is so freaking cool! I used to be able to use basic sign language because three of my cousins were deaf but since we moved away (and I don't see them much) all I can remember is the alphabet and how to say "my name is..." XD
Original post by Gogregg
That is a lot :redface:
I think every other applicant in my school has the ISC interview practice book and I've seen it, but while it is very good, most the questions don't seem to be the type that will come up in MMI, and may only be relevant to panel interviews, which there are very few of nowadays?
Besides, you don't want to sound like the authors of the ISC book, you want to sound like yourself, even if it isn't completely polished :wink: Just don't spout nonsense and know your ethics and recent medical news and we should be fine!

I'm the same! I feel dead awkward asking my parents to buy me all these prep books, especially since none of my brothers or sisters had these since they weren't applying for medicine or anything, but they're very understanding of it, but I still feel so awkward!

Haha, I agree I don't want to sound like I'm regurgitating random information. And yeah, I don't really know what would be a reliable and relevant source of recent medical news. If you have any suggestions that would be great...?
I'm glad there's someone out there that can relate! :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Haha, I agree I don't want to sound like I'm regurgitating random information. And yeah, I don't really know what would be a reliable and relevant source of recent medical news. If you have any suggestions that would be great...?
I'm glad there's someone out there that can relate! :biggrin:

The BBC News Health section is always good :h:
Original post by Gogregg
The BBC News Health section is always good :h:

Thanks! I'm sure you've probably mentioned this but what unis are you applying for?
Original post by Nuba123
Thanks! I'm sure you've probably mentioned this but what unis are you applying for?

I'm applying to UEA, Barts and The London, Dundee and Newcastle, yourself? :h:
Original post by Gogregg
I'm applying to UEA, Barts and The London, Dundee and Newcastle, yourself? :h:

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee :smile:
Original post by Nuba123
Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee :smile:

Good options! I actually really liked Aberdeen as well, but as an RUK applicant, I thought it was too risky to apply to 2 Scottish universities :colondollar:
Which one is your favourite?
Original post by Gogregg
Good options! I actually really liked Aberdeen as well, but as an RUK applicant, I thought it was too risky to apply to 2 Scottish universities :colondollar:
Which one is your favourite?

Tbh I really like Dundee but I don't really mind any of them as long as I get to do medicine. Wby? And yeah it is tougher as unis usually have a limit for people from outwith Scotland - I think, I'm not sure though. But I know a lot of RUK applicants are applying for Edinburgh because of their no-interview policy for undergrads but it's just making the competition more fierce at that uni which is why I don't think I'd have a good shot there but I like the uni itself. :smile:
Original post by Nuba123
Tbh I really like Dundee but I don't really mind any of them as long as I get to do medicine. Wby? And yeah it is tougher as unis usually have a limit for people from outwith Scotland - I think, I'm not sure though. But I know a lot of RUK applicants are applying for Edinburgh because of their no-interview policy for undergrads but it's just making the competition more fierce at that uni which is why I don't think I'd have a good shot there but I like the uni itself. :smile:

I feel the same, but I do have preference for UEA and the Barts :colondollar:
I was just wondering, really :h:

I think 25% of medicine applicants at my school, and there are quite a few in my year, especially compared to previous years, are applying to Edinburgh, it is just so competitive there for RUK, though. Don't really know much about Scottish applicants, though, but I assume it's still difficult to get into :colondollar:

It seems like such a nice place, but I could never get in there, and I'm not a fan of their course anyway, but it's an amazing university and an amazing course!
Original post by Gogregg
I feel the same, but I do have preference for UEA and the Barts :colondollar:
I was just wondering, really :h:

I think 25% of medicine applicants at my school, and there are quite a few in my year, especially compared to previous years, are applying to Edinburgh, it is just so competitive there for RUK, though. Don't really know much about Scottish applicants, though, but I assume it's still difficult to get into :colondollar:

It seems like such a nice place, but I could never get in there, and I'm not a fan of their course anyway, but it's an amazing university and an amazing course!

Yeah, that seems pretty cool I don't think the idea of moving country appeals to me - especially if Scotland decide to go independent - again! :biggrin: It's almost certain you'll get an interview for Newcastle I mean your profile is exceptional tbqh. :biggrin:
Only two people at my school are applying for medicine and I happen to be one of them lol. Yeah, hopefully the competition is not as fierce for Scottish applicants but I highly doubt this, it is medicine after all!
I don't think I'm a strong contender for this year, realistically, but I'm motivated enough to re-apply. My academics are strong but UKCAT is...not great. XD
But people with my UKCAT score have gotten into the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh but we shall see. It really is a gamble so I'm not going to cry about it on TSR lol.
Original post by Nuba123
Yeah, that seems pretty cool I don't think the idea of moving country appeals to me - especially if Scotland decide to go independent - again! :biggrin: It's almost certain you'll get an interview for Newcastle I mean your profile is exceptional tbqh. :biggrin:
Only two people at my school are applying for medicine and I happen to be one of them lol. Yeah, hopefully the competition is not as fierce for Scottish applicants but I highly doubt this, it is medicine after all!
I don't think I'm a strong contender for this year, realistically, but I'm motivated enough to re-apply. My academics are strong but UKCAT is...not great. XD
But people with my UKCAT score have gotten into the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh but we shall see. It really is a gamble so I'm not going to cry about it on TSR lol.

Not to mention you don't have to get into extortionate amounts of debt! I do have to wonder what would happen if I was at Dundee and Scotland did vote out, if I would still have job security in Scotland, and whether I could stay there, because Scotland is such a lovely country!

Thanks :colondollar: If I'm honest I am sometimes a bit annoyed about my GCSEs (damn A in English Language! :angry:), but the rest of my profile is pretty good, so hopefully I'll get some interviews, and like you said, almost guaranteed interview at Newcastle, which is one of the reasons I chose it, as a safe choice, but it is a really nice place!
I would be prepared to reapply next year, also, but the whole process is just so exhausting! :lol:

If others have gotten in with your score, I'm sure you will be able to do so also! :biggrin:
Original post by Gogregg
Not to mention you don't have to get into extortionate amounts of debt! I do have to wonder what would happen if I was at Dundee and Scotland did vote out, if I would still have job security in Scotland, and whether I could stay there, because Scotland is such a lovely country!

Thanks :colondollar: If I'm honest I am sometimes a bit annoyed about my GCSEs (damn A in English Language! :angry:), but the rest of my profile is pretty good, so hopefully I'll get some interviews, and like you said, almost guaranteed interview at Newcastle, which is one of the reasons I chose it, as a safe choice, but it is a really nice place!
I would be prepared to reapply next year, also, but the whole process is just so exhausting! :lol:

If others have gotten in with your score, I'm sure you will be able to do so also! :biggrin:

Yeah, that must be so scary - applying for a uni that might not even be in Britain anymore. Tbh I'm totally for independence so I'm glad I'll get to vote this time if the bill is passed. :O :biggrin: Yeah, Scotland is lovely (I might biased lol) in comparison to my experiences in England tbqh. :biggrin: The society is just way more tolerant as a whole which is why I love it and the far-right aren't as popular over here. :biggrin:
Tell me about it! I can't concentrate at school because of this. :frown: How are you finding school - do you find it hard to keep up - because I do! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending