The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Mmm I dunno.. there's more value in getting a result against Man Utd since it denies them scoring points at the same time.

We beat Hull and Swansea before the break who surely fall into the same category as WBA?

I'd rather beat Man Utd since will give our fans something more to cheer about.

Swansea and Hull have been dire though and we were quite lucky against the former, lets not forget that Burnley result. West Brom will give us a tougher test in terms of breaking down their defence and set pieces, this is a well drilled Pulis side and Spurs found that out yesterday.

Beating United and not beating West Brom doesn't give us a good sign that we have progressed though which is my point. Losing to United but beating West Brom means that we actually have it in us to take more points from the mid table and bottom half sides and we already proved that we can get points from other big sides.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Can't remember the last time I was this nervous for a United game.

I think the issue for me is that the first time since the SAS season, we're actually going in as fairly heavy favourites. I don't like us being favourites because we always seem to bottle it...

Definitely seems to be the most hyped game in ages.
Karius is expected to start tomorrow according to Pearce.
We haven't lost at home for 15 straight games.

Just throwing it out there...
This is just too long now. Still another 14 hours. It's probably going to be a drab game now.

Mmm I dunno.. there's more value in getting a result against Man Utd since it denies them scoring points at the same time.

We beat Hull and Swansea before the break who surely fall into the same category as WBA?

I'd rather beat Man Utd since will give our fans something more to cheer about.

What do people think will be the line-up? Klopp didn't rule out Wijnaldum or Lallana for Monday.

Other options would be Sturridge/Ings/Origi in the front 3 (and Coutinho drops back) or we could leave the front 3 and bring in Can and say Lucas into the midfield?

Good to have options but annoying to lose 2 midfield starters at the same time.

Wonder if Mourinho will go with players like Mata/Herrera or go much more physical with Fellani and go?

If your going to list all the options then there's one that you're forgetting. Put Milner in midfield and the one who mustn't be named :yikes: into left back. :aetsch:
Secretly hoping Moreno can do a Dossena and turn in to super sub killer winger. :please:
Original post by RVNmax
This is just too long now. Still another 14 hours. It's probably going to be a drab game now.

If your going to list all the options then there's one that you're forgetting. Put Milner in midfield and the one who mustn't be named :yikes: into left back. :aetsch:
Secretly hoping Moreno can do a Dossena and turn in to super sub killer winger. :please:

Cant' see Klopp moving Milner from LB.

Ugh going to be a long 12 hours..
As a BBC pundit was saying, this is a bigger game for United than it is for us.

Even if we lose today, 16 points from 8 games is a very good position to be in, considering the fixtures we've had. Obviously you always want a win at Anfield but I guess it depends on how United turn up. They have Chelsea after us and you would imagine a loss in either of those fixtures would significantly worsen their situation.

Worst case scenario, we stay joint 4th. Best case scenario; we jump to joint 1st.
Original post by Lúcio
As a BBC pundit was saying, this is a bigger game for United than it is for us.

Even if we lose today, 16 points from 8 games is a very good position to be in, considering the fixtures we've had. Obviously you always want a win at Anfield but I guess it depends on how United turn up. They have Chelsea after us and you would imagine a loss in either of those fixtures would significantly worsen their situation.

Worst case scenario, we stay joint 4th. Best case scenario; we jump to joint 1st.

If we win by 3 goals, I think we jump to first based on goal difference and then goals scored? :awesome:

You'd have to think Mourinho will come not to lose - he lost to Man City which will have been a blow. Losing to two big rivals so early in the season is something Mourinho won't want.
Not sure why so many articles saying Liverpool are emphasised as favourites. When was the last time the away side were bookies favourites in a competitive game like this between these two sides? Would be a good piece of trivia that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
Not sure why so many articles saying Liverpool are emphasised as favourites. When was the last time the away side were bookies favourites in a competitive game like this between these two sides? Would be a good piece of trivia that.

Yea it's a weird one.. Throw in the fact that if Man Utd did win, they'd be level on points with us.

I guess it's just our perceived form of being free flowing/looking good to watch vs. Man Utd grinding out results while not being particularly fluent.
United need a win more than we do considering they are playing Chelsea next so you would think they would be under more pressure than us, but with all this media hype it seems that our own players may be under more pressure themselves to get the win.
Original post by Gob Bluth

We're never favourites going to Anfield. On paper our record there is good (3 wins and a draw in the last 5 league games) but there's only the Juanfield game that we deserved to win, we were completely outplayed in the other two.

I'm fearful that Mourinho will get his tactics wrong again (like City) and we'll get battered. Not confident at all.
Rumours going on that Moreno may start at LB with Milner moving into midfield to cover for injuries, please let this be untrue....
Original post by samir12
Rumours going on that Moreno may start at LB with Milner moving into midfield to cover for injuries, please let this be untrue....

Damn.. surely Sturridge and Can come in with Coutinho dropping into the midfield?
Original post by samir12

Penalty for United incoming...
Damn.. surely Sturridge and Can come in with Coutinho dropping into the midfield?

I would honestly rather us bring in somebody untested like Stewart or Grujic than have Moreno at LB...
Original post by Lúcio
I would honestly rather us bring in somebody untested like Stewart or Grujic than have Moreno at LB...

Always Lucas to step into the midfield too if needed.

I like some attributes of Moreno but bringing him into a high profile game isn't the one to do it in..
Always Lucas to step into the midfield too if needed.

I like some attributes of Moreno but bringing him into a high profile game isn't the one to do it in..

He's just a liability and United would exploit it. He's good getting forward but he's way too eager - against a mid-tabled team who will park the bus, it's not too bad but against a high-quality side like United, he'd be caught out too many times.

Lucas, Grujic and Stewart are all solid options to bring in to the midfield. It would allow Henderson to compensate for Lallana's absence by surging forward, leaving Can and (presumably) Lucas as more defensive protectors.

It wouldn't be worth having Coutinho drop down - I don't think we should touch our front 4 at all.
Original post by Lúcio
He's just a liability and United would exploit it. He's good getting forward but he's way too eager - against a mid-tabled team who will park the bus, it's not too bad but against a high-quality side like United, he'd be caught out too many times.

Lucas, Grujic and Stewart are all solid options to bring in to the midfield. It would allow Henderson to compensate for Lallana's absence by surging forward, leaving Can and (presumably) Lucas as more defensive protectors.

It wouldn't be worth having Coutinho drop down - I don't think we should touch our front 4 at all.

You don't rate Sturridge?
You don't rate Sturridge?

I meant Sturridge being part of a front 4 in a 4-2-3-1, although I'm not sure Klopp would want to change formation considering our success with 4-3-3...

Latest