The Student Room Group

Law Essay length?

Hi, I am currently experiencing difficulties in extending the length of my essay into a minimum of two pages of a piece of writing pad. My lecturer advised me that this was the minimum length. I was wondering if I could just do my usual one and a half and get good marks? I am doing Contract and Tort law for A-levels. Any advise will be very much appreciated!
Original post by hologramqueen
Hi, I am currently experiencing difficulties in extending the length of my essay into a minimum of two pages of a piece of writing pad. My lecturer advised me that this was the minimum length. I was wondering if I could just do my usual one and a half and get good marks? I am doing Contract and Tort law for A-levels. Any advise will be very much appreciated!

Depends what you mean by a good mark. Its unlikely you are addressing all the issues and covering the topic in enough detail. If you were then the essay would extend itself. If you ned up writing 1.5 page answers in the exam then that is likely to be too short. By essay here I'm thinking of 4 essays per 3 hour exam.

Maybe do the essay submit it and then look at the model answer to id what you failed to address.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what you mean by a good mark. Its unlikely you are addressing all the issues and covering the topic in enough detail. If you were then the essay would extend itself. If you ned up writing 1.5 page answers in the exam then that is likely to be too short. By essay here I'm thinking of 4 essays per 3 hour exam.

Maybe do the essay submit it and then look at the model answer to id what you failed to address.

It is a one and a half hour exam for three essays and for the test pads they proffer specially for the exams, I could go up to two to three pages. It is just the regular papers that I cannot reach two papers on and I was paranoid if it was just because of the size of papers or my incapacity of writing more. Thank you for the input, though!
Original post by hologramqueen
It is a one and a half hour exam for three essays and for the test pads they proffer specially for the exams, I could go up to two to three pages. It is just the regular papers that I cannot reach two papers on and I was paranoid if it was just because of the size of papers or my incapacity of writing more. Thank you for the input, though!

Sides of paper is too subjective because we have different sizes of handwriting.
Number of words is more accurate.
Look at the model answers and see what issues or depth of detail you are missing.
It truly depends on whether you're doing AS or A2 Law. In AS, it's quite rare that you write more than two sides on a particular topic. But in A2, it's quite common as each exam question is 25 marks each.

For A2, I use the IRAC Method for each of my essays. I state the issue and the rule related to it. I, then, move onto the application of the rule to the scenario and conclude. For example;

I - Alice threw a vase at Beth, after she turned her back, the vase missed by inches and flew out an open window.

R - s39 CJA 1988: Assault
AR: To cause the apprehension of immediate unlawful force or violence
MR: Intention to cause the apprehension of immediate unlawful force or violence or recklessness as to whether such fear was caused.

Ireland - silent phone calls could amount to assault.
Constanza - letters could also amount to assault
Smith v Chief Superintendent of Woking Police Station - immediate did not mean instantaneous but imminent.

A - Alice threw vase at Beth when she turned around, with her back to Alice. Beth could not fear unlawful force or violence, if she couldn't see it,

C - Alice wouldn't be criminally liable for an offence of assault against Beth since she could not see the vase before it flew past her and out the window.

This would be one part of the overall essay.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending