The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
Again, so cool. :biggrin:

Ha thanks :tongue:
Original post by Nuba123
Woah, you've got me thinking should I withdraw my 5th option. I feel like I'm using it to feel better about myself and it also make me feel secure even though that doesn't make sense since I don't plan on doing it. ?

OH jeez

Id keep your 5th choice, it just keeps your options a bit more open. I've applied for anatomical sciences at manchester as my 5th, as what I'd learn in a year of that course would be incredibly helpful if I was to then do medicine :smile:
Original post by emma.sx
Though if you really didn't want to take a gap year you could always do the first year of your 5th choice and reapply to medicine, nothing says you have to do the full course :smile:

I don't think it would look good if I just dropped out - it would show I'm not committed. If I drop out of something else what's to say I wouldn't drop out of medicine.
Original post by Nuba123
I don't think it would look good if I just dropped out - it would show I'm not committed. If I drop out of something else what's to say I wouldn't drop out of medicine.

True, though at some unis there are ways of not necessarily dropping out, but transferring, you still have to apply, but you'd apply to medicine at the same uni your 5th choice is at (if that makes sense) :smile:
Does anyone know if you get a periodic table in the BMAT?
Original post by emma.sx
True, though at some unis there are ways of not necessarily dropping out, but transferring, you still have to apply, but you'd apply to medicine at the same uni your 5th choice is at (if that makes sense) :smile:

Ahhh okay I see. :smile:
Original post by emma.sx
Though if you really didn't want to take a gap year you could always do the first year of your 5th choice and reapply to medicine, nothing says you have to do the full course :smile:

Actually that is not true, some medical schools will not accept an application if you are currently enrolled in another degree, they would either want you to withdraw from your degree or complete it before applying again.

Also another degree for fun is not a mature decision to make, so much can be gained from a gap year (both financially and personally). I would completely advise against starting another course instead of taking a gap year, it will mean more debt and could cause serious issues with student finance funding (student finance will fund a certain number of years based on your degree course, so if you enroll in a 3 year programme and then move to medicine after year 1 you may find you wont be fully funded, or you may not be able to fund intercalation etc.)...

I would exclude this completely as an option. If you want to do medicine and have the grades just take a gap year, admissions tutors will favour you more this way.
Original post by Nuba123
Woah, you've got me thinking should I withdraw my 5th option. I feel like I'm using it to feel better about myself and it also make me feel secure even though that doesn't make sense since I don't plan on doing it. ?

OH jeez

Its your choice, but if you are 100% not going to chose it why even have it there? I regret having a 5th option, but it may be useful to you? its your choice what you do with your application.

Original post by emma.sx
Id keep your 5th choice, it just keeps your options a bit more open. I've applied for anatomical sciences at manchester as my 5th, as what I'd learn in a year of that course would be incredibly helpful if I was to then do medicine :smile:

Please Please Please do not do a year of a course and expect to move onto medicine, you will end up stuck in a course you dont like because of the difficulty of transferring or you will end up having to pay a fortune for grad entry med (which is so much more competative), if you have the grades first time around do not mess about, take a gap year, do something fun and productive and then reapply.
Original post by emma.sx
Does anyone know if you get a periodic table in the BMAT?

No periodic table but they tell you what you need to know in the question. I.e it will say atomic mass : o-16 c-12.
In terms of interview courses, I'm struggling to choose between isc and medicportal - anyone got any advice?
Reply 1470
Original post by KaiKabz007
In terms of interview courses, I'm struggling to choose between isc and medicportal - anyone got any advice?

Based on what ive heard from the year above and most other people on TSR on other threads:
ISC= good in terms of numbers, but quite predictable in that they just go through their own book, but pick out the most obvious questions and go into detail (i.e. would not help for oxbridge)
Medic portal= ridiculously expensive for the service they provide. Things like medinterviews.com are genuinely proven with the organiser posting testimonials on instagram and tagging the attendees, so u can actually ask them their honest opinion.
Theres also another one recommended called futuredoctors
And then UCAS sent an email about PassMedical which is v v v limited on places so i guess if you want tailor made advice, that may be good
When can choices stop being changed
Original post by nu7
When can choices stop being changed

After 7 days on track, another 7 over the phone.
Have you got any info on the fasttrackmedical course - they boast a 98% success rate, and mmi stations specific to each med school. Sounds too good to be true, mine are all MMI so it's very convincing.
Reply 1474
will getting band 3 be a disadvantage.
I have got good GCSEs and good AS results.
My average ukcat was 640. mid 600s

I did apply to king's. do you think I won't get an interview
Reply 1475
bristol, southampton, ucl were my other choices
Reply 1476
we will find out the cut off ukcat scores soon right? ukcat will send our scores to our universities from 21st oct onwards. and we should know a cut off by the second week of nov
Reply 1477
Biomedical sciences as a back-up doesn't need a separate personal statement.
cos it is strongly linked to medicine and most medicine applicants put biomed as a backup, so unis know
Reply 1478
Original post by KaiKabz007
Have you got any info on the fasttrackmedical course - they boast a 98% success rate, and mmi stations specific to each med school. Sounds too good to be true, mine are all MMI so it's very convincing.

Never heard of it tbh.
The medinterviews.com also do an MMI course.
If your gut instinct is to try the fasttrack one then go for it. Everyone says they have a 90%+ chance, so ignore that, but if youre swayed, then youre never gna know unless u try, and who knows, it might be the best one out there for this year and youd be benefiting hugely
Original post by yukicookie
After 7 days on track, another 7 over the phone.

If you change a uni choice to another, can you change the uni you changed to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending