The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mystery.
I didn't realise how many english people applied to scottish unis..

St Andrews is a great university, and, as an introvert, perfectly sized and located away from everywhere. Plus the Scottish system of flexible degrees is attractive.
Also, as an English "northener" (clearly southern to the scots) I feel a greater cultural and political affinity to the Scottish than the south.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Mystery.
I didn't realise how many english people applied to scottish unis..

TSR is a hub for English high achievers TBH. :tongue:
But ignoring that, population differences, Brexit and prestige are other motivations for applying to Scottish unis.
I also think it may be to do with our world renowned cuisine, haggis is the best. :wink:
Reply 82
Hi, thought I may aswell join in as I've used this forum alot, albeit I haven't posted. I'm quite drawn to how compact St Andrews is and really enjoyed my visit to the open day. (I wore a Cambridge University jumper I had bought when I spent time there on a residential however, without thinking, which raised eyebrows sorry St Andrews!) Furthermore my college appears on the contextual applications list, thankfully! They do hair and beauty here..

Course Applying: Ancient History, History
AS/A2 subjects: Economics (AS), English Language A2, History A2, Gov. Pol A2
GCSE grades: Very average, had a medical condition at the time which made it hard to do and missed some of the GCSE exams.
AS grades: AABC (C in economics, never dropped that faster! 97% in Politics and 90% in History, Politics being modular too is a godsend!)
A2 Predicted: A*A*A
Extra Ciric: School debating society, local secretary of a political party + youth secretary, Villiers Park Educational trust residential, European Mock Council, French night classes, D of E ofc, involvement in Fabian Society think tank, huge amount of historical literature read
Other: English (North), looking forward to joining the University Officer Training Corps!
Other unis considering/applying to: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen (Slightly worried on this however, as my margin for error is AAA - ABB!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Course Applying: Computer Science
AS/A2 subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (AS)
GCSE grades: 4A*s, 6As 1C (we don't talk about the C)
AS predicted: AABC
AS grades: AAAA
A2 predicted: A*A*A*A
Supra-curriculars: uh like i did an ep i guess um
Other unis considering/applying to: Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, York (kind of regret these choices tbh but oh well too late)

I really hope I get an offer because I'm clearly getting rejected from Cambridge and Imperial (**** interviews) and I don't really want to go to York or Edinburgh, fingers crossed!

Can anyone comment on what my chances are? I've heard it's very competitive.
(edited 7 years ago)
When anyone gets an offer can they say so in here so the rest of us know to be looking out for them?
Reply 85
Have any international students heard back yet?:smile:
Original post by tinnedsardines
Course Applying: Computer Science
AS/A2 subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (AS)
GCSE grades: 4A*s, 6As 1C (we don't talk about the C)
AS predicted: AABC
AS grades: AAAA
A2 predicted: A*A*A*A
Supra-curriculars: uh like i did an ep i guess um
Other unis considering/applying to: Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, York (kind of regret these choices tbh but oh well too late)

I really hope I get an offer because I'm clearly getting rejected from Cambridge and Imperial (**** interviews) and I don't really want to go to York or Edinburgh, fingers crossed!

Can anyone comment on what my chances are? I've heard it's very competitive.

Hi I'm doing compsci at St andrews. Obviously I'm not an admission person and don't know for sure what will happen with you, but your grades are definitely good. However, I think it also depends on how good you personal statement is. I know of people with good grades that got rejected, and the only reason I can think of is their personal statement.

EDIT: no one needs to know your predicted AS grades after you get the actual grades :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys! A bit late but here I am
I'm applying from Italy so the grades thing is completely different:
Course Applying: Arabic, Russian and Spanish (Ma)
Predicted grades: Here we take all of our subject to what corresponds to (I think) your A levels and then at finals we get a score that goes from 1 to 100 (60 is minimum for passing). I was predicted 100/100
Other: I went to a sort of "languages high school" and I've studied French, Spanish and oc English. I'm really looking forward to moving to Scotland, meeting new people and (of course) studying two new languages (I'm a languages nerd hahah)
Other unis applying to: Edinburgh (Russian studies and Spanish), Glasgow (French and Russian - I've got an offer!!!), UCL (Spanish and Russian or French and Russian), Southampton (Spanish, French and Russian)

Anyone from Italy/International here?
Original post by Dave1998
Hi guys! A bit late but here I am
I'm applying from Italy so the grades thing is completely different:
Course Applying: Arabic, Russian and Spanish (Ma)
Predicted grades: Here we take all of our subject to what corresponds to (I think) your A levels and then at finals we get a score that goes from 1 to 100 (60 is minimum for passing). I was predicted 100/100
Other: I went to a sort of "languages high school" and I've studied French, Spanish and oc English. I'm really looking forward to moving to Scotland, meeting new people and (of course) studying two new languages (I'm a languages nerd hahah)
Other unis applying to: Edinburgh (Russian studies and Spanish), Glasgow (French and Russian - I've got an offer!!!), UCL (Spanish and Russian or French and Russian), Southampton (Spanish, French and Russian)

Anyone from Italy/International here?

I'm also quite late here! I'm from the EU and did the IB.

Course Applying: Management
Predicted grades: I completed school last year and got 44 points.
Other: Don't have many extracurriculars, but had a leadership role in a charity for 4 years, did MUN, had summer work experience at a bank, was part of the yearbook committee etc
Other unis applying to: Edinburgh, KCL and Bath
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CBergendahl
I'm also quite late here! I'm international (from the EU) and did the IB.

Course Applying: Management
Predicted grades: I completed school last year and got 44 points.
Other: Don't have many extracurriculars, but had a leadership role in a charity for 4 years, did MUN, had summer work experience at a bank, was part of the yearbook committee etc
Other unis applying to: Edinburgh, KCL and Bath

Congrats for your IB!!!! And goodluck for your application too :smile:
Original post by Dave1998
Congrats for your IB!!!! And goodluck for your application too :smile:

Thank you so much! I wish you the best of luck on completing school and hope you get your offer :smile:
Reply 91
Another Scottish applicant here:h:
Course Applying: Biology
Advanced Higher subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Maths (and music which I did a year early and managed to get an A)
Higher grades: AAAAAA (again I got an extra higher from music:colondollar:)
Advanced Higher predicted: AAA
Extra-curriculars: A bunch of music & drama
Supra-curriculars: I'm not sure what counts but I've done some wider reading, watched some lectures, took part in RSC's young analyst competition final and got golds at the ukmt junior & intermediate maths challenges if that means anything
Other unis applied to: Edinburgh, Oxford, UCL and Imperial :heart:
Reply 92
I'm also an IB applicant hahaah :smile:

HL subjects: Biology, Chemistry, English
SL subjects: Maths, History, French
IB predicted: 42
Supra-curriculars: some wider reading, work experience in lab, work experience in equestrian centre, taster lectures, took part in the Big Science Competition 2 years in a row
Other unis considering/applying to: Oxford, Durham, RVC, Bristol
(edited 7 years ago)
Lots of IB people? lool :P
Original post by leonaa1
I'm also an IB applicant hahaah :smile:

HL subjects: Biology, Chemistry, English
SL subjects: Maths, History, French
IB predicted: 42
Supra-curriculars: some wider reading, work experience in lab, work experience in equestrian centre, taster lectures, took part in the Big Science Competition 2 years in a row
Other unis considering/applying to: Oxford, Durham, RVC, Bristol

Congrats on your predicted!! That's great :biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by CBergendahl
Congrats on your predicted!! That's great :biggrin:

awh thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 96
Course Applying: Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry
GCSEs: 7A* 2A 1B
AS Grades: A (maths, all rest are linear)
A2 Predicted: A*A*AA (Chemistry, Maths, Biology + English Literature) + A* in EPQ
Extra-curriculars: Grade 7 LAMDA, D of E, horse riding competitions, rock climbing competitions
Supra-curriculars: wider reading, work experience in drug development company, summer school at Uni of Birmingham, online uni courses, ISMTF, UKMT, Cambridge Chemistry Challenge
Other unis applied to: Cambridge, Imperial, Durham and Warwick

Any other chemistry with medicinal chemistry applicants? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Course Applying: Maths
AS/A2 subjects: Advanced Higher Maths and Mechanics, A level Physics
GCSE grades: Old, but I got 8 As. I've also got 3 old A levels. Predicted grades: Advanced Highers - A1, A1, Physics - A*
Supra-curricular: I work full time (at the moment). I also run at a fairly high level.
Other unis considering/applying to: Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick.

I'd really like to go to St Andrews. I've applied to Cambridge but I'm not overly confident of an offer. St Andrews/Durham are my top choices. I'll be a mature student, 33 when I start. Previously studied 2 years of classics at Oxford!
Reply 98
Thought I would keep this going:

GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (+1A* predicted for Russian this year)
AS Grades: AAAA
Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A*
A-level Choices: Spanish, German, Politics, History (dropped at AS)
Course: IR & German
Extra Curricular: MUN awards, Lib Dem member + volunteered for local elections, Britain Stronger In Europe member + volunteered for EU referendum, Cambridge conference on cyber-security, columnist for schools' current affairs magazine, editor of schools politics magazine, run politics society, prefect, winner of "linguist of the year" competition, exchange to Nuremberg over summer, talk at washington post about economics of presidential election, talk at UCL about american foreign policy, extended reading, track cycling club, "magic circle" law firm work experience, form rep for school council, extra Russian GCSE during A2 year...
Other Universities Applying To: UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, KCL
Original post by rolaah
Thought I would keep this going:

GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* (+1A* predicted for Russian this year)
AS Grades: AAAA
Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A*
A-level Choices: Spanish, German, Politics, History (dropped at AS)
Course: IR & German
Extra Curricular: MUN awards, Lib Dem member + volunteered for local elections, Britain Stronger In Europe member + volunteered for EU referendum, Cambridge conference on cyber-security, columnist for schools' current affairs magazine, editor of schools politics magazine, run politics society, prefect, winner of "linguist of the year" competition, exchange to Nuremberg over summer, talk at washington post about economics of presidential election, talk at UCL about american foreign policy, extended reading, track cycling club, "magic circle" law firm work experience, form rep for school council, extra Russian GCSE during A2 year...
Other Universities Applying To: UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, KCL

Perfect grades and an abundance of extra-curriculars, impressive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending