The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

2A*s (one was in short course RS, the other was english lit) 6As and 4Bs (inc. core and additional science - further was an A) at GCSE. What are my chances?
Thanks
Original post by MiracleLeaf
2A*s (one was in short course RS, the other was english lit) 6As and 4Bs (inc. core and additional science - further was an A) at GCSE. What are my chances?
Thanks

Avoid the GCSE heavy uni's such as Cardiff, QUB and Birmingham, work hard in your AS levels and get a good UKCAT score and you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks

Basically what the above person said.
Do not undermine your UKCAT in any way. Start preparing early and practise practise practise.
Thanks

First of all you already got an answer for this earlier, and this isn't really the place to be asking this. There are plenty of other suitable threads instead of the current applicants thread?

But you will have to be careful as to where you apply with B's in the sciences. Don't apply to any GCSE heavy universities such as Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, etc. and it would likely be best to avoid anywhere that scores/ranks your GCSEs (apart from perhaps SGUL) such as Leicester or Nottingham.

Look through all the university websites and see what they value, what they look for in their admissions process and apply to your strengths. Other than that, it's way too early to say whether or not you have a good chance of getting in since your GCSEs can be such a minor part of your application.
Not sure who's doing the new OCR linear Bio & Chem next year, but i've started a thread so feel free to contribute :smile:

BIO:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68151362&t=4378288#post68151362

CHEM:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68150936&t=4378262#post68150936
Hey guys, i was wondering at MMI do u still get traditional questions thrown in there too as if it was a panel interview? Like about your greatest strengths, knowledge of nhs etc?
Original post by chrisdale98
Hey guys, i was wondering at MMI do u still get traditional questions thrown in there too as if it was a panel interview? Like about your greatest strengths, knowledge of nhs etc?

It's possible. I think at MMIs interviews there might still be stations where you are more traditional questions. Of course no on knows what questions for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1547
so excited to hear from all of my uni choices :smile: which sounds a little strange but I am just going to be patient :smile:
How many weeks prior to the interview date will the universities inform us?
Reply 1548
The backup choices should be telling us their decisions from november onwards. some people already got offers for their backups but I guess it depends on the university
Reply 1549
Would be so happy if I receive an interview from any one of my universities because I love them all. It's all about acing the interview - fingers crossed
Original post by 11...
so excited to hear from all of my uni choices :smile: which sounds a little strange but I am just going to be patient :smile:
How many weeks prior to the interview date will the universities inform us?

Varies so much, I don't think anyone can really say for certain :smile:
Original post by 11...
Would be so happy if I receive an interview from any one of my universities because I love them all. It's all about acing the interview - fingers crossed

legit exactly how I feel
Original post by emma.sx
Varies so much, I don't think anyone can really say for certain :smile:

Original post by 11...

Ikr, and They generally will let you know a few weeks to a month in advance of your interview, so hull-york for example start interviewing on the 7th of December and they said they would start sending invites from late November. My other choices all pretty much interview in February so not expecting to hear back from the others til jan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have any universities sent interview invites yet for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I can do this
Have any universities sent interview invites yet for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't have our UKCAT scores yet.

The earliest interview invites will be sent out is November, but that will be very few and far between.
Expect interview invites to start coming around December/January for the majority of people who will get an interview.
Original post by Gogregg
They don't have our UKCAT scores yet.

The earliest interview invites will be sent out is November, but that will be very few and far between.
Expect interview invites to start coming around December/January for the majority of people who will get an interview.

Bristol has some interview dates at the end of November (they have published all the dates on the website) so assuming they will send out some interviews as soon as they get UKCAT results which is scary :redface: Do you know anything about when Birmingham start sending interview invites? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
Original post by isabella1999
Bristol has some interview dates at the end of November (they have published all the dates on the website) so assuming they will send out some interviews as soon as they get UKCAT results which is scary :redface: Do you know anything about when Birmingham start sending interview invites? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

They interview from November to March, so I assume they will start sending some invites out once they get the UKCAT scores in November and then continue to send out invites up until early march I assume.
Original post by isabella1999

Do you think Bristol have already started looking at and scoring the PS, then? That's a bit scary! :eek:

It's weird how we could start hearing back next month, but also as late as march...
Original post by Gogregg
Do you think Bristol have already started looking at and scoring the PS, then? That's a bit scary! :eek:

It's weird how we could start hearing back next month, but also as late as march...

That is scary, but I hate how medicines takes so long, so many people at my school have offers already it's crazy. March! Don't think I can wait that long!
Original post by Gogregg

They have started scoring them. I got an email from them:
"Thank you for your application to study at the University of Bristol. We have begun assessing your application, and are now awaiting your UK Clinical Aptitude test (UKCAT) results before we can progress further with our assessment. You do not need to send us these yourself, as we should receive your UKCAT results directly from their team in the coming weeks."I applied for Gateway to Medicine though, so I'm not sure if applicants to A100 will receive this email too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending