The Student Room Group

Law firms accept mitigating circumstances or is it not worth trying?

I'm studying Social Policy at University of Nottingham. I achieved AAA and a BTEC DISTINCTION at AS level, and was expected to achieve A*AA - but due to severe mitigating circumstances, I ended up achieving grades BBC overall at A2.

always wanted to do law, but due to my grades I went for non law at Nottingham instead, thinking I would do the GDL.

Now I am wondering, are firms going to be acceptive? I am now in my final year of my degree, and unsure if applying for the GDL will lead to employment in law - or maybe I should resit a few modules in my a-levels?

By the way, I'm expected to achieve a 2:1, but aiming for a 1st in my degree.

Any advice would be very appreciated!!
Reply 1
You're going to be a lawyer.

They should take it into consideration:

Equality Act 2010 Chapter 39 Employees and Applicants

"A duty to make reasonable adjustments applies to an employer."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Drunq
You're going to be a lawyer.

They should take it into consideration:

Equality Act 2010 Chapter 39 Employees and Applicants

This has nothing to do with mitigating circumstances relating to academic performance.
Reply 3
Original post by _Fergo
This has nothing to do with mitigating circumstances relating to academic performance.

But they shouldn't discriminate against that fact. At the end of the day, they'll still probably wouldn't accept you and give some BS reason.

Before you asked this question I was actually thinking about this. however this should have been discussed with the exam board you were with, so they usually bump up your grade because of that.

So I don't think they'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However each employer is different, best to check with them.
Reply 4
Original post by Drunq
But they shouldn't discriminate against that fact. At the end of the day, they'll still probably wouldn't accept you and give some BS reason.

Before you asked this question I was actually thinking about this. however this should have been discussed with the exam board you were with, so they usually bump up your grade because of that.

So I don't think they'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However each employer is different, best to check with them.

They can definitely discriminate on the basis of academic performance. The Equality Act, for obvious reasons, is generally meant to protect against discrimination on factors which are outside a person's control.

Which question? Didn't ask any myself. Boards only award higher grades on very, very serious circumstances (as an example, death of a family member may be grounds to consider an increase of 5% maximum).

Nonetheless, and addressing the OP too, firms are usually very willing to hear about extenuating circumstances, and provide an appropriate box to clearly explain any. More often than not, however, this has to be backed with evidence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Fergo
They can definitely discriminate on the basis of academic performance. The Equality Act, for obvious reasons, is generally meant to protect against discrimination on factors which are outside a person's control.

Which question? Didn't ask any myself. Boards only award higher grades on very, very serious circumstances (as an example, death of a family member may be grounds to consider an increase of 5% maximum).

Nonetheless, and addressing the OP too, firms are usually very willing to hear about extenuating circumstances, and provide an appropriate box to clearly explain any. More often than not, however, this has to be backed with evidence.

Thanks for your response, yeah I don't think we had a system of grades being bumped up apart from remarks. It does make me consider whether I should just resit one/two modules, make it ABB. I'm graduating this academic year, and I just don't know if that's not worth while. Meanwhile, I am still applying to study the GDL.
Original post by Drunq

Its not a protected characteristic ofc they can use it as a selective criteria.
Original post by aspiringlawyer02
Thanks for your response, yeah I don't think we had a system of grades being bumped up apart from remarks. It does make me consider whether I should just resit one/two modules, make it ABB. I'm graduating this academic year, and I just don't know if that's not worth while. Meanwhile, I am still applying to study the GDL.

Have you posted this elsehwere? i recall answering this question last night.
Did you say what the mitigating circs were?

You can try contacting HR and take their guidance. Some might be willing to listen especually if you get a first.

The time for mitigating circumstances is soon after you have sat the exams.

I wouldnt apply to do GDL until I had managed to get someone to pay for it, but your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending