The Student Room Group

What would you do? University failing to provide sufficient resources etc.

So, years ago I went to uni and had to intermit, I went back, to the same university and to continue where I left off. I had some exemptions, although not many.

1st year semester 1, a lecturer ignored my summary of reasonable adjustments by failing to provide me with the materials prior to the lecture/seminar and stated in an email that I was 'spoilt' for having them and was 'being spoon fed'. every time i mentioned it constituted as disability discrimination, he tried to justify why the lecture materials where not provided, again, discrimination.

1 year semester 2 - one lecturer was not aware of my summary of reasonable adjustments and another compared us all to dying cancer patients, 2 days after me losing someone.

2nd year semester 1 - doing an accounting degree, you would think a lecturer would have basic mathematic skills to be able to do calculations right? nope wrong, he can't figure out how to do averages, he's teaching everyone how to do the calculations wrong, he goes back and forth through lecture materials almost as tho he doesn't even know it. He's giving us work to do which is riddled with errors.

Fact is I've had enough now, I've complained, a lot, i thought year 2 would be better, it seems worse. My concerns are falling on deaf ears, but I'm not the only one complaining, lots of students are, so they put this one lecturer under supervision, which by the way, 10 mins out of a 2 hour lecture is apparently sufficient enough.

Since starting university, I've self harmed, had a breakdown, panic attacks and now medicated for anxiety and depression, when a new semester starts, mid way through my dosage is being increased.

My options for me now are, to withdraw and just face the fact my dream of getting a degree isn't going to become reality and to look at options for compensation.

I guess I'm just writing this to see what other people think, am I being unreasonable? I've taken it up with module leaders, course leader, heads of departments, students union, getting no where.

What would you do if you was in my position?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sazza1285
So, years ago I went to uni and had to intermit, I went back, to the same university and to continue where I left off. I had some exemptions, although not many.

1st year semester 1, a lecturer ignored my summary of reasonable adjustments by failing to provide me with the materials prior to the lecture/seminar and stated in an email that I was 'spoilt' for having them and was 'being spoon fed'. every time i mentioned it constituted as disability discrimination, he tried to justify why the lecture materials where not provided, again, discrimination.

1 year semester 2 - one lecturer was not aware of my summary of reasonable adjustments and another compared us all to dying cancer patients, 2 days after me losing someone.

2nd year semester 1 - doing an accounting degree, you would think a lecturer would have basic mathematic skills to be able to do calculations right? nope wrong, he can't figure out how to do averages, he's teaching everyone how to do the calculations wrong, he goes back and forth through lecture materials almost as tho he doesn't even know it. He's giving us work to do which is riddled with errors.

Fact is I've had enough now, I've complained, a lot, i thought year 2 would be better, it seems worse. My concerns are falling on deaf ears, but I'm not the only one complaining, lots of students are, so they put this one lecturer under supervision, which by the way, 10 mins out of a 2 hour lecture is apparently sufficient enough.

Since starting university, I've self harmed, had a breakdown, panic attacks and now medicated for anxiety and depression, when a new semester starts, mid way through my dosage is being increased.

My options for me now are, to withdraw and just face the fact my dream of getting a degree isn't going to become reality and to look at options for compensation.

I guess I'm just writing this to see what other people think, am I being unreasonable? I've taken it up with module leaders, course leader, heads of departments, students union, getting no where.

Which university are you at?
Reply 2
Is what university I'm at relevant? But let's just statistically it's one that gets a high number of complaints, so I've found out today!

I'm not sure what's going on at your uni, but I don't think you should drop out. That would mean losing all the work you have done so far. I think you could consider transferring onto a 2nd or 3rd year of a similar course at another university, and try to complete the degree. OK the disruption may affect your final grades, but at least you'd have something to show for your time at uni with a degree to show to future employers. Instead of nothing, if you just drop out.
Is what university I'm at relevant? But let's just statistically it's one that gets a high number of complaints, so I've found out today!

I am guessing Anglia Ruskin,

Well its good prudence check that this is not one I have on my list to apply to. If it was it would not cause me to outright rule them out but would raise a concern alert.
Reply 5
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I'm not sure what's going on at your uni, but I don't think you should drop out. That would mean losing all the work you have done so far. I think you could consider transferring onto a 2nd or 3rd year of a similar course at another university, and try to complete the degree. OK the disruption may affect your final grades, but at least you'd have something to show for your time at uni with a degree to show to future employers. Instead of nothing, if you just drop out.

I'm a mature student anyways, I'm also working full time currently in a good job that pays well whilst doing my studies. So it's not going to have a knock on effect on my ability to get a job. It's a family run business, so it was a degree to get under my belt as a 'to fall back on', but I can get qualified in the area by other means than to have a degree.

Trust me, this hasn't been a decision that I've taken lightly, I finished my first year with 82% so I'm on route for a first, but, this is having such a negative impact on my health, on my state of mind.
Reply 6
Original post by Luke7456
I am guessing Anglia Ruskin,

Well its good prudence check that this is not one I have on my list to apply to. If it was it would not cause me to outright rule them out but would raise a concern alert.

What would you be looking to study? Obviously different faculties are different, but things just seem to be spread rather thinly between Chelmsford and Cambridge and the lack of communication is apparent.
What would you be looking to study? Obviously different faculties are different, but things just seem to be spread rather thinly between Chelmsford and Cambridge and the lack of communication is apparent.

i would be looking to study Maths. I guess if you said Cambridge I would just put it down to a unique bad experience. However when people mention bad stuff or not satisfied about a university I like to know. Because it might be an issue if I go to the same university.

A single post would not influence the decision however If I regularly found complaints about a university I would be alarmed. I guess you have to take it with a pinch of salt because I could google almost any university and find unhappy students. You just get a feel for it based on how many people say negative or positive things and what sort of things they are saying etc.
Have you gone through the formal University complaints process rather than just departmental? If nothing else it will log the issue with the senior people at the uni. In my experience poor departments often only respond to top down directives and will fob students off with excuses if you just try and deal with issues within the department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending