The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goofyygoober
So we will not know the results until January?? :frown:
Do you know why we have to wait so long?

Why the rush? Surely the important thing is whether you get an interview?

They'll be busy enough marking them, deciding upon the candidates to interview, interviewing them, and, then, who to make offers to. They (Oxford) explicitly say that the results will only be available after that.

From here:
January 2017: You may ask for feedback from the college you applied to, including what MAT score you achieved.
(edited 7 years ago)
So we will not know the results until January?? :frown:
Do you know why we have to wait so long?

yea sadly :frown:

not sure, I guess so they can get interviews and offers out the way before they have to worry about fishing out peoples results for them :dontknow:
Original post by ホク水ね
Don't you have better things to be doing than looking at the MAT paper or are you bored in Cambridge over there? :wink:

I think he was looking for some more challenging work for once :wink:
Original post by RogerOxon
Why the rush? Surely the important thing is whether you get an interview?

They'll be busy enough marking them, deciding upon the candidates to interview, interviewing them, and, then, who to make offers to. They (Oxford) explicitly say that the results will only be available after that.

From here:
January 2017: You may ask for feedback from the college you applied to, including what MAT score you achieved.

I think I got around 60 give or take 2 marks. I'm on a gap though, hopefully it's enough to have a chance for Imperial Maths. Even for MAT 2014 I think the median was about 60 for successful applicants at Imperial...
hi @OxfordMathsDept i noticed the statistics on the Oxford MAT website for average for all, average for shortlisted candidates and average for successful candidates are for straight Maths applicants. Do these values vary much for the joint courses or not really?
Original post by DylanJ42
hi @OxfordMathsDept i noticed the statistics on the Oxford MAT website for average for all, average for shortlisted candidates and average for successful candidates are for straight Maths applicants. Do these values vary much for the joint courses or not really?

I had the same thought about applying for Computer Science as well
I think i got about 50. Is this good enough considering I got only 2A*s at GCSE and A*AAa at A level so i dont even meet their requirements i guess
Original post by Carman3
I think i got about 50. Is this good enough considering I got only 2A*s at GCSE and A*AAa at A level so i dont even meet their requirements i guess

Your AS grades may push them towards giving you an interview, but cambridge care way more than oxford about as grades. In all years so far, the average interviewed applicant has higher than 50.
How does Oxford weighing between the proportion of A* in GCSE and the MAT score to give out interviews?
Original post by Mathematician99
Your AS grades may push them towards giving you an interview, but cambridge care way more than oxford about as grades. In all years so far, the average interviewed applicant has higher than 50.

If I already got A*A*A* at A2 but a lower MAT score could I get an interview?
Original post by ホク水ね

Anybody asking a question like this is going to get the same answer.

Obviously, it depends on your MAT score. What do you mean "lower"? Relative to what? You A2 grades are going to be weighted much less than your MAT score so I wouldn't put too much focus on that - if you get around/above 55 that should be enough to get you shortlisted (judging from previous year statistics).
Original post by ホク水ね

Probably, but you should really ask an admissions tutor about that - if you already have your 3 A*s. But remember, oxford only ask for A*A*A. Oxford place a lot of emphasis on the MAT, on the other hand. If you haven't done your A2s then obviously mat is way more important lol
Original post by Insecure
Anybody asking a question like this is going to get the same answer.

Obviously, it depends on your MAT score. What do you mean "lower"? Relative to what? You A2 grades are going to be weighted much less than your MAT score so I wouldn't put too much focus on that - if you get around/above 55 that should be enough to get you shortlisted (judging from previous year statistics).

Considering AS and A2 are very different I was unsure if the answer would be the same, so it was worth an ask.

Spoiler

Original post by ホク水ね
Don't you have better things to be doing than looking at the MAT paper or are you bored in Cambridge over there? :wink:

Overworked, would like to look at something i can actually do other the group theory lol
Original post by Mathematician99

Ive done a levels and got A*AAa will they still care about as?
Hi, does anyone know when and how can we find out our MAT result?

Durham Maths Department website
For students taking the Oxford MAT, we will be able to use those scores in place of the TMUA if you give us permission - we will request this at the end of November after you have your results
Original post by DavidBick
What were your UMS grades?

I wasn't aware imperial looked at UMS grades. On my UCAS I put down my 6 best maths modules which were UMS values of the following:

100/100 (C1)
97/100 (C2)
100/100 (S1)
93/100 (FP1)
100/100 (M1)
82/100 (M2)

Provided I get between 65 and 70 out of 100 for MAT, do you think that should be enough for me to get an offer from them?
Original post by Superdjman1
I wasn't aware imperial looked at UMS grades. On my UCAS I put down my 6 best maths modules which were UMS values of the following:

100/100 (C1)
97/100 (C2)
100/100 (S1)
93/100 (FP1)
100/100 (M1)
82/100 (M2)

Provided I get between 65 and 70 out of 100 for MAT, do you think that should be enough for me to get an offer from them?

6 best?! how many modules did you sit last yr?!
Original post by gunjanbhatt
6 best?! how many modules did you sit last yr?!

I also did D1 and C3.
Got 87 in C3.
I don't talk about D1...

Latest

Trending

Trending