The Student Room Group

Placement abroad going terribly

Hi everyone I am just writing this thread as I really need some advice. I am currently on a placement in Europe for my course and it is going terribly. I enjoy living in the country and have made some good friends in my 6 weeks here, but my boss is absolutely impossible to work with. I am criticized for everything single little thing that is wrong, she has called me stupid and said she was surprised I went to university. I admit I have made some mistakes but they were not major ones and had no impact on the company.

However I fully expected to make some mistakes before starting my placement after all this is the first time in my life I have worked an office job and truly had a proper full time job. She has also said i should be ashamed of myself and that I ask too many questions and that they are stupid questions. We both agreed that there is no way this would work out for 9 months so have agreed to make it a 3 month internship and stop it at Xmas. That was not a decision I took lightly but there is honestly NO way this would work out for 9 months.

So my question to anyone reading this is do you know anyone or even been in a similar situation yourself and have some advice for me. My plan now is to find a 6 month internship back in the UK or try and get two separate 3 month internships maybe.
Original post by aldell1995
Hi everyone I am just writing this thread as I really need some advice. I am currently on a placement in Europe for my course and it is going terribly. I enjoy living in the country and have made some good friends in my 6 weeks here, but my boss is absolutely impossible to work with. I am criticized for everything single little thing that is wrong, she has called me stupid and said she was surprised I went to university. I admit I have made some mistakes but they were not major ones and had no impact on the company.

However I fully expected to make some mistakes before starting my placement after all this is the first time in my life I have worked an office job and truly had a proper full time job. She has also said i should be ashamed of myself and that I ask too many questions and that they are stupid questions. We both agreed that there is no way this would work out for 9 months so have agreed to make it a 3 month internship and stop it at Xmas. That was not a decision I took lightly but there is honestly NO way this would work out for 9 months.

So my question to anyone reading this is do you know anyone or even been in a similar situation yourself and have some advice for me. My plan now is to find a 6 month internship back in the UK or try and get two separate 3 month internships maybe.

Firstly, sorry you're experiencing this - it sounds like your manager has an unbelievably poor leadership style. One key lesson learned is that there are people out there like this, in positions they arguably shouldn't be in. That said, it's how you respond to it that defines you (without sounding like a Hallmark card!).

Secondly, can we get some more context of the situation? Why the urgency or need for internships? What is your current situation? Are you doing a university sandwich course that requires a year in industry? Have you took a gap year to complete a year in industry? Have you completed your degree and now seeking a job?

Calling you stupid and telling you she's surprised you went to university is bullying in the workplace. There's no grey area here, these are personal insults and it would take someone wholly unprofessional to have these outbursts. Before you do leave, I would encourage you to take these comments above her head to her own boss via a formal grievance procedure. If anything, to ensure nobody has to go in to this workplace and endure what you have again. That is about the soundest advice I can think of. You have nothing to lose, she's already influenced you to cut the placement short, she's personally insulting you and you're discouraged from asking questions (ergo learning).

Bring this behaviour to the attention of her seniors. Demonstrate where you have excelled in the role and how this relationship simply won't work (by your manager's admission, despite your attempts) and ask if it's possible to be placed elsewhere under a different line manager rather than end the placement short.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending