The Student Room Group

stuck for a level choices

I have to write my personal statement soon and I have to say what a level subjects i want to do. Right now, I am considering history and psychology (the school i am applying to is very good in those departments). I want to know if psychology is a good subject to do at a level and i also want to know what other a levels i should do!? science and maths aren't my strongest subjects, so i don't know if economics would fit in with the subjects i want to do? please help
thank you!
Reply 1
I was pretty weak in science/maths and I took economics and it has been fine so I wouldn't worry about economics if you are.
How about a language?
Reply 2
Original post by ions
I was pretty weak in science/maths and I took economics and it has been fine so I wouldn't worry about economics if you are.
How about a language?

ok thank you very much for the reply. I currently take french igcse and I'm not bad at it but my sister took french AS and said it was a BIG step up and i don't think I'm as passionate about french to do it for a level. How did u find economics? I'm worried it will be hard and not fit in with my other subjects
Reply 3
Original post by cameroooncr
ok thank you very much for the reply. I currently take french igcse and I'm not bad at it but my sister took french AS and said it was a BIG step up and i don't think I'm as passionate about french to do it for a level. How did u find economics? I'm worried it will be hard and not fit in with my other subjects

The step in languages is huuuge, stupidly so, but you do get used to it. I would say you probably have to be quite passionate about it though so it may be wise to not do it for A level.
I took economics unexpectedly because of a timetable clash so I literally had to pick it on my first day of year 12. I hated it at first but I really like it now and am applying to joint honours economics at uni :smile: I like it because I like analysing things and working them through logically but my maths is not good enough to do maths A level. It's not hard though, or at least I don't find it hard. It took me a while to understand some of the concepts but once they clicked, there's a very set exam structure so you can't go too wrong! Econ definitely didn't fit with my other subjects, history, spanish and english language, but that's actually why I liked it. It's refreshing to have a more analytical subject. Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me anything else :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ions
The step in languages is huuuge, stupidly so, but you do get used to it. I would say you probably have to be quite passionate about it though so it may be wise to not do it for A level.
I took economics unexpectedly because of a timetable clash so I literally had to pick it on my first day of year 12. I hated it at first but I really like it now and am applying to joint honours economics at uni :smile: I like it because I like analysing things and working them through logically but my maths is not good enough to do maths A level. It's not hard though, or at least I don't find it hard. It took me a while to understand some of the concepts but once they clicked, there's a very set exam structure so you can't go too wrong! Econ definitely didn't fit with my other subjects, history, spanish and english language, but that's actually why I liked it. It's refreshing to have a more analytical subject. Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me anything else :smile:

Thank you very much! this helped a lot!
Reply 5
Original post by cameroooncr
Thank you very much! this helped a lot!

No problem! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest