The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Business and Management - good or not?

Hi there,
originally I was going to study international business at Loughborough and was set on that. However , upon visiting Glasgow and experiencing the night life, seeing the uni and accommodation I am really keen on going here. However, the closest they do is business management , which is fine but I wasn't sure if its the best option and if its as broad as international business is? I know Loughborough is a great uni but I just prefer the feel of having diverse students from Scotland Ireland etc in Glasgow and how big the town was. My other concern is that the course for business involves studying computer science, or maths alongside it? Or can you study just business because I am no good at any of that! Also , at Loughborough the course is very flexible and you can pretty much pick what you want to study , does the same apply at the business school in Glasgow?
Any comments or help would be incredibly appreciated as I am very confused as to what to do!
Thanks,
Jasmine :smile:)))))
Original post by 10panditj
Hi there,
originally I was going to study international business at Loughborough and was set on that. However , upon visiting Glasgow and experiencing the night life, seeing the uni and accommodation I am really keen on going here. However, the closest they do is business management , which is fine but I wasn't sure if its the best option and if its as broad as international business is? I know Loughborough is a great uni but I just prefer the feel of having diverse students from Scotland Ireland etc in Glasgow and how big the town was. My other concern is that the course for business involves studying computer science, or maths alongside it? Or can you study just business because I am no good at any of that! Also , at Loughborough the course is very flexible and you can pretty much pick what you want to study , does the same apply at the business school in Glasgow?
Any comments or help would be incredibly appreciated as I am very confused as to what to do!
Thanks,

Hi, i am English student who is currently in my first year at the University, my major subject is Economics, but i do Business as one of the optional subjects you have to study within the first year.

You do not have to take computer science nor do you have to take Maths. You do have the option to take those subjects alongside business.
If you major in Business Management then you will have to take two different subject in the first year, you have full choice from social sciences, the arts and humanities as well as the Sciences. This is also because you might change your mind as to what you want to pursue as a part of your main degree.

As for the Business Management course itself, in the first year you will be following the syllabus itself, so their are no separate units within the first year of the course. The separate units will come into effect in later years.

and yes the Uni is very diverse, when i came here i thought i would be swamped by Scots, but i am surprised at the number of English people studying up here as well.

Hope this helps.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jimmyjamjames
Hi, i am English student who is currently in my first year at the University, my major subject is Economics, but i do Business as one of the optional subjects you have to study within the first year.

You do not have to take computer science nor do you have to take Maths. You do have the option to take those subjects alongside business.
If you major in Business Management then you will have to take two different subject in the first year, you have full choice from social sciences, the arts and humanities as well as the Sciences. This is also because you might change your mind as to what you want to pursue as a part of your main degree.

As for the Business Management course itself, in the first year you will be following the syllabus itself, so their are no separate units within the first year of the course. The separate units will come into effect in later years.

and yes the Uni is very diverse, when i came here i thought i would be swamped by Scots, but i am surprised at the number of English people studying up here as well.

Hope this helps.

Thank you this is helpful , ok that's good . Is the course good , would you say it's interesting etc. what topics do you cover mostly? How is it moving from England to Scotland, and what A levels did you get?
Sorry lots of questions
Thanks
Thank you this is helpful , ok that's good . Is the course good , would you say it's interesting etc. what topics do you cover mostly? How is it moving from England to Scotland, and what A levels did you get?
Sorry lots of questions
Thanks

No problem.

In terms of the Business Management course the focus for first semester is around Organisational Behaviour, this breaks down and covers a large amount of aspect of the organisation (i can elaborate further if you would like)

The other subject i take apart from Economics and Business is Politics. Since you have to take two other subject in your first year.

The move up here cost me around £80 for a flight plus 20 for the taxi to my accommodation. Other students are very friendly (as you would expect) and a fairly wide range of demographics here, though unsurprisingly the major demographic are Scots. Lovely sites around with the Universities own museum and Kelvingrove not far away as well.

Its also surprisingly very safe to be honest.

My A levels were ABB.

I can provide more advice if you would like.
Reply 4
Original post by Jimmyjamjames
No problem.

In terms of the Business Management course the focus for first semester is around Organisational Behaviour, this breaks down and covers a large amount of aspect of the organisation (i can elaborate further if you would like)

The other subject i take apart from Economics and Business is Politics. Since you have to take two other subject in your first year.

The move up here cost me around £80 for a flight plus 20 for the taxi to my accommodation. Other students are very friendly (as you would expect) and a fairly wide range of demographics here, though unsurprisingly the major demographic are Scots. Lovely sites around with the Universities own museum and Kelvingrove not far away as well.

Its also surprisingly very safe to be honest.

My A levels were ABB.

I can provide more advice if you would like.

Yes that would be very helpful thank you.
What is organizational behavior about? Why did you decide to come to Glasgow not an English one, because I understand there are universities higher up in the leagues table though Glasgow isn't that high for business. What is the accommodation like and is the business department good in terms of graduate opportunities and support throughout the course?
Thanks again
Yes that would be very helpful thank you.
What is organizational behavior about? Why did you decide to come to Glasgow not an English one, because I understand there are universities higher up in the leagues table though Glasgow isn't that high for business. What is the accommodation like and is the business department good in terms of graduate opportunities and support throughout the course?
Thanks again

The Organisational behaviour topic is split up into 5 parts, these all relate to core textbook. The 5 sections all have sub sections within them. But to cover the sections you have: the Organisational context (which is essentially discusses external factors impact on the business), Individuals in the organisation, groups and teams in the organisation, organisational structures and finally management processes.

This is only in the first semester and we do get a new topic for the second semester.

The subject i take (Economics) i was very surprised to see just how strong the industry connections were from this uni, because you can still get opportunities to go work in the London financial hub. Even the economics society (the Adam Smith Economics Society) in particular impressed me as they provide really good knowledge for helping you potentially getting into the Banking and other financial industries. As well as provide talks from bankers from Goldman Sachs, higher ups from 'the big four' accounting firms, Loyds, HSBC, Morgan Stanley and others as well. Because you can go to work in London financial sector after finishing here.

The Connections you can get here seem very good (at least i find it to be for Economics). But its worth remembering that a Russell Group uni next your name does still pulls a lot of weight with employers.

I dont know the specific graduate opportunities for Business since i am not pursuing it, i assume they have to probably be similar to that for Economics, so big four accounting firms, banks etc.

I pay 115 a week for self catered accommodation and it is surprisingly good. As you essentially have all your bills including internet and gym membership, as well as coverage for any repairs to your room, and a cleaning service, as well as the security (which is fairly good). Plus you also get Endsleigh Insurance on any items in your room, which is included in the accommodation fees. I find it delivers. I can provide details on rooms themselves if you would like

The downsides are that their is a limited amount of washing machines and tumble driers so you have to share those with the whole block. The other problem i find is that the part of the wall in my room has some pealing, and that the microwave we have is fairly old. Buts that's about it.

Student support was good on specific subjects, such as your tutors are fairly friendly and will be willing to help, as well as fairly good lecturers to boot. Most of the other advising services are good as well. The only problem being the SRC advice being fairly lacklustre.

I can provide more assistance if you would like, or if you would like to contact me quicker we could chat via means other than TSR. PM me if you are interested.
Hi there,
Thanks,

The course is a good course... Well structured and offers plenty of variety. Yes, in years 3 and 4 you'll get to choose your subjects - you have to choose a few modules from core subject areas (like strategy and research methods alongside a mandatory HR related one of your choice and a finance related one of your choice for example).

Year 3 and 4 course options are vast and you can really tailor your degree is you wish. I made my degree up of courses like; Art of Influencing, Project Management, Managing Complex Change, a Small Business Consultancy Project and the like... Friends have followed a different route with things like; Managing in the Public Sector, Entrepreneurship and Business Planning, Managing in the Voluntary Sector etc... And more have focused on HRM, Digital Marketing Strategy and the like.

The first two years will be 2 compulsory business modules covering the basics - organizational behaviour, marketing, operations/supply chain management and HResque content...

As mentioned, you'll do this alongside any two courses of your choice from different schools. If you carry one subject on alongside Business, you can swap your degree to that in third year provided you're grades are good - or even do a joint honours.

For example:
Year 1 - Business and Management, Economics and Politics
Year 2 - Business and Management, Economics and Philosophy (in year two you must choose your third option from a level 1/year 1 catalogue so you can't carry all three on)
Years 3 & 4 - Business and Management honours degree, Business and Management with Economics joint honours or Economics honours degree.

It's a good course with some great practical classes like Small Business Consultancy, Marketing Consultancy and Business Start-up for example. And exams can be tough after first year (where the first exam you'll sit will be 75% multiple choice if I remember correctly!) - over 80 students failed to make it in to honours year.

It's a very diverse university (and city), from the people I know, the split between English and Scottish students is about 50/50 with some Europeans in there for good measure.

For anything course content related, feel free to ask away. Apologies for any typos here, writing on my mobile!
Reply 7
Hey there,

like 10panditj I am pretty interested in Glasgow's Business Studies!
I currently have an offer for a joint degree in Business Management and Psychology. Glasgow's reputation for psychology is tremendeous but I am still a little concerned about the Business part.

I was particularly surprised by the posts in this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1972223

I am totally aware that such opinons can be complete bullsh**, but still I would love to hear from a few people who are currently studying Management at Glasgow, because it is quite hard to find personal opinions on the web which are not absolutely over the top in either direction!
Original post by jthiepler
Hey there,

like 10panditj I am pretty interested in Glasgow's Business Studies!
I currently have an offer for a joint degree in Business Management and Psychology. Glasgow's reputation for psychology is tremendeous but I am still a little concerned about the Business part.

I was particularly surprised by the posts in this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1972223

I am totally aware that such opinons can be complete bullsh**, but still I would love to hear from a few people who are currently studying Management at Glasgow, because it is quite hard to find personal opinions on the web which are not absolutely over the top in either direction!

What do you want to know?

Also for psychology, they take around 300 people on every year, about half of which don't progress to honours!
Reply 9
Original post by pmc:producer
What do you want to know?

Also for psychology, they take around 300 people on every year, about half of which don't progress to honours!

What I want to know, let's see...
1. What is the general quality of professors in the course? Are they passionate about their subject?
2. Does the course live up to Glasgow's reputation? (Or is it rather mediocre and only benefits from Glasgow's overall reputation?)
3. Is it useful internationally?

Concerning your comment on Psychology, it is pretty much the same here in Germany since too many people just think "that sounds kinda cool"! But I didn't apply for university to drop out after second year so let's hope I'll be part of the successful 50% :P
Thank you a lot for your thoughts!
What I want to know, let's see...
1. What is the general quality of professors in the course? Are they passionate about their subject?
2. Does the course live up to Glasgow's reputation? (Or is it rather mediocre and only benefits from Glasgow's overall reputation?)

Concerning your comment on Psychology, it is pretty much the same here in Germany since too many people just think "that sounds kinda cool"! But I didn't apply for university to drop out after second year so let's hope I'll be part of the successful 50% :P

Just quickly on the point of psychology - it's not that the students that don't make it are poor, it's that there are a number of really good students vs limited places on the honours course. Essentially, you could be achieving high grades and still not make it.

As to your other points:
1) As with every schools, there are some lecturers who are extremely passionate and some who aren't. For the most part, they are extremely switched on and passionate - perhaps because the university is research intensive and the academics are still involved in research. Martin Beirne is one of the most charismatic, passionate guys I've ever had the pleasure of learning from. Stelios Zyglidopoulos is another great mind - originally taught at Judge Business School at Cambridge University. There are more of course, but these two particularly stand out for me. On the whole, the staff are engaging, passionate and readily available to help you out.

2) I would say the course does live up to the 'Glasgow reputation'. It's challenging, totally customizable and has some really good practical courses with links to industry. Morgan Standley, PwC, KPMG etc are all represented quite a lot throughout the year in terms of on campus recruitment, coming in to do mock interviews and sponsoring careers events.

Don't get me wrong, I get the impression the business school does realize it could and should be doing better - the university are investing in it in terms of courses offered, staff coming in and resources in general.

3) Of course it will fair well internationally. The brand name of the university is well known and respected worldwide and you can tailor your course to be whatever you like it to be. We also have excellent links to partner universities you can spend a year at through Russel Group and Universitas21. UCLA Berkley, McGill, Hong Kong University to name a few.

That said, if you wanted more 'international' content; you could look at Strathclyde. The offer a well regarded international business course and the business school is highly ranked (albeit more postgrad than undergrad).
Original post by pmc:producer
Just quickly on the point of psychology - it's not that the students that don't make it are poor, it's that there are a number of really good students vs limited places on the honours course. Essentially, you could be achieving high grades and still not make it.

As to your other points:
1) As with every schools, there are some lecturers who are extremely passionate and some who aren't. For the most part, they are extremely switched on and passionate - perhaps because the university is research intensive and the academics are still involved in research. Martin Beirne is one of the most charismatic, passionate guys I've ever had the pleasure of learning from. Stelios Zyglidopoulos is another great mind - originally taught at Judge Business School at Cambridge University. There are more of course, but these two particularly stand out for me. On the whole, the staff are engaging, passionate and readily available to help you out.

2) I would say the course does live up to the 'Glasgow reputation'. It's challenging, totally customizable and has some really good practical courses with links to industry. Morgan Standley, PwC, KPMG etc are all represented quite a lot throughout the year in terms of on campus recruitment, coming in to do mock interviews and sponsoring careers events.

Don't get me wrong, I get the impression the business school does realize it could and should be doing better - the university are investing in it in terms of courses offered, staff coming in and resources in general.

3) Of course it will fair well internationally. The brand name of the university is well known and respected worldwide and you can tailor your course to be whatever you like it to be. We also have excellent links to partner universities you can spend a year at through Russel Group and Universitas21. UCLA Berkley, McGill, Hong Kong University to name a few.

That said, if you wanted more 'international' content; you could look at Strathclyde. The offer a well regarded international business course and the business school is highly ranked (albeit more postgrad than undergrad).

Thank you a lot! That's what I call an answer! Seems like my concerns were not realistic at all. Of course no course is perfect but from what you say I think I could be very happy studying in Glasgow.

I've also applied to Strathclyde, but they haven't made their decision yet. But from what I've heard by now, Glasgow would be a damn good choice!

To the topic of psychology, pardon my quick assumptions. I guess the situation here and in Scotland/Glasgow is quite different in the end. Still, nice to know what I might have to deal with! But I'll think about that when I've started studying, I can only give it all I've got and see where it takes me.
Reply 12
Thank you a lot! That's what I call an answer! Seems like my concerns were not realistic at all. Of course no course is perfect but from what you say I think I could be very happy studying in Glasgow.

I've also applied to Strathclyde, but they haven't made their decision yet. But from what I've heard by now, Glasgow would be a damn good choice!

To the topic of psychology, pardon my quick assumptions. I guess the situation here and in Scotland/Glasgow is quite different in the end. Still, nice to know what I might have to deal with! But I'll think about that when I've started studying, I can only give it all I've got and see where it takes me.

If you're applying to the business school in Strathclyde in the hope that you'll get a more recognised degree, solely cause you're studying at a "number one business school" then you need to reconsider where you are spending your time. I applied to Strathclyde university under the business school, and didn't get in, but I'm lucky I dodged that bullet because I realised what I almost missed out on, and how prestigious Glasgow actually is. Strathclyde tend to over-advertise how great they are, offering triple accreditation and strong links with the corporate industry. They've built this image that their business school is second to none. It offers the exact same incentives (triple accreditation and strong corporate connections) as Glasgow does. I was quite shocked when I was knocked back, thinking I lost out and was going to be a weaker contender for graduate jobs, but I honestly think, as said before, Glasgow has realised that the business school needs to improve slightly, and it's certainly redeemed itself. I'm doing economics maths and business management at this university and it's everything you could ask for and more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you all lot for your input, I am now definetly convinced that Glasgow could offer me an excellent degree in both Psychology and Business. Still, I won't be able to make a final decision yet, St Andrews & Edinburgh form my top 3 with Glasgow, so I'll have to wait for their decisions and then see what choice might be the best. But I have no doubts about Glasgow anymore, thanks guys! :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=jthiepler;68448346]What I want to know, let's see...

currently in my 2nd year studying business and management with languages :smile: the professors are very passionate- and hilarious! They're easy to approach which is handy. Yeah I guess it does live up to glasgow's reputation, we always have guest speakers and emails encouraging us to apply for internships or attend a workshop within the department etc. There's always something going on really. However, (this is a good however) first year was very easy- but this is because they have to get everyone up to same level as there are students with A levels, highers and IBs for example. I feel that the examiners were quite lenient, thank god, I felt that in the summer exam I just wrote a load of *******s but I got a B3 which is 70% so that's not too bad! This year the material is more challenging for me as I'm **** at maths. Ofc it'll be useful internationally! You'll be getting a degree from a really good uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending