The Student Room Group

Really don't know what to do in life :(

Hi!

I really don't know what I want to do in life and it's just getting me really down.

I always wanted to be a journalist. I studied Media at college (got a Triple Distinction). I had my own news blog where I did local news reports. That lasted 6 years but some people told me my writing wasn't up to scratch, and if ever I tried getting work experience at the local paper or BBC etc, they weren't interested. I tweeted Alastair Stewart (ITN/ITV News) once and he said I was better at photography - I'd put my photography on the website too.

So I looked into photography, I studied that (and graphic design) at foundation degree. 3 years on, after completing the course, I haven't had any luck. Either no one gets back to me, or they simply say no thanks - but they won't let me know the reason why.

I currently work in retail. My Managers like me and want me to progress to management, but as much as I enjoy it sometimes, people say it's stressful and management isn't where my heart is.

My work, journalism wise, obviously wasn't good enough, and as for photography, it's hard to get into, or people just don't like me or my work.

I really don't know what I can do now? It's getting me a bit low and I will admit, I get upset/teary at times. I don't want to work in retail until I retire. I want to do something less stressful and something where I can think of it as a career rather than a job.

Any suggestions?

This is an example of my writing. I wrote this for a local magazine paper - http://www.bristol247.com/channel/news-comment/daily/education/university-students-hand-in-petition-1447154339

My photography is on my personal website here (just to say, i'm not looking for views or anything. I don't make any money or have ads or anything).

thanks!
Reply 1
Your photography seems reasonable. Your writing also isn't terrible.

You either need to find a way to improve your writing, improve your confidence, or find something else that you would be happy to do long term.

You don't have to get stuck there forever, there's always time to retrain, rediscover other pathways, I was 24 before I worked out what I wanted to do long term, and it took 3 years of that to realise I had passions elsewhere that I want to pursue once I'm financially stable.

You'll work it out, there's always time.
Reply 2
Your writing is a little repetitive;
<person> who said <quote>
<person> told us <quote>
<person> said <quote>
<person> said <quote>
It can come off rather bland, and that there's no soul behind the words that are written. It's as if you're just copying down a press release. While you may not want to show bias (which is appropriate for a non-opinion newspaper format), when covering something like a protest, it can be useful to give the reader an idea of the atmosphere and the mood of the situation the people you're writing about are in; it gives it more of a human element. Maybe writing more opinion pieces/blogs would help you to loosen up more.

Regarding your photography, the problem is that you need more experience photographing people. Landscape shots are all well and good, but most media outlets want you to photograph events and people, not bridges and sunsets (your portfolio also has 0 portrait shots). Perhaps a focus on this in your portfolio would be more appealing to a potential employer? Going through your portfolio goes like "he has some very nice photos of landscapes, some long exposure shots and oh.." as they see the below image. I'd remove this one from your portfolio, honestly.

Same for this one, unless that's you (in which case you should do a retake in a better environment and lighting, at the least).

Original post by Luneth
Your writing is a little repetitive;
<person> who said <quote>
<person> told us <quote>
<person> said <quote>
<person> said <quote>
It can come off rather bland, and that there's no soul behind the words that are written. It's as if you're just copying down a press release. While you may not want to show bias (which is appropriate for a non-opinion newspaper format), when covering something like a protest, it can be useful to give the reader an idea of the atmosphere and the mood of the situation the people you're writing about are in; it gives it more of a human element. Maybe writing more opinion pieces/blogs would help you to loosen up more.

Regarding your photography, the problem is that you need more experience photographing people. Landscape shots are all well and good, but most media outlets want you to photograph events and people, not bridges and sunsets (your portfolio also has 0 portrait shots). Perhaps a focus on this in your portfolio would be more appealing to a potential employer? Going through your portfolio goes like "he has some very nice photos of landscapes, some long exposure shots and oh.." as they see the below image. I'd remove this one from your portfolio, honestly.

Same for this one, unless that's you (in which case you should do a retake in a better environment and lighting, at the least).

That news article was edited by the Editor though!

What about the top photo? The one used in the article. I was praised for that?

That photo isn't me, but was used for a newspaper article. I took many photos, some with studio lighting in a photography studio, but for some reason, they went for that one. That's why it's in my portfolio.

I just love landscape photography. I could do studio photography too though. I have quite a few studio shots from college/Uni so should I upload them instead?
Original post by Tubbz
Your photography seems reasonable. Your writing also isn't terrible.

You either need to find a way to improve your writing, improve your confidence, or find something else that you would be happy to do long term.

You don't have to get stuck there forever, there's always time to retrain, rediscover other pathways, I was 24 before I worked out what I wanted to do long term, and it took 3 years of that to realise I had passions elsewhere that I want to pursue once I'm financially stable.

You'll work it out, there's always time.

I feel like I need to branch out into something entirely different. I just can't think what. I'm 23 at the moment.
Reply 5
Original post by 2scotty
I feel like I need to branch out into something entirely different. I just can't think what. I'm 23 at the moment.

Where do your strengths lie? I'm assuming it's predominantly creative subjects given your current aspirations, but what about some for of design?
Can you make a business with your photography skills?
beam.png
Original post by Tubbz
Where do your strengths lie? I'm assuming it's predominantly creative subjects given your current aspirations, but what about some for of design?

Original post by Mvine001
Can you make a business with your photography skills?
beam.png

I always wanted something creative, but it feels like i've been unable to get anywhere with it.

I've always been a bit of a transport freak. Like suggesting things to the local bus company, and recently I created a petition to save the bus service. People have been telling me I should be working with the bus company or becoming a councillor/MP or something. Would that seem any good?
Original post by 2scotty
I always wanted something creative, but it feels like i've been unable to get anywhere with it.

I've always been a bit of a transport freak. Like suggesting things to the local bus company, and recently I created a petition to save the bus service. People have been telling me I should be working with the bus company or becoming a councillor/MP or something. Would that seem any good?

For your photography, maybe open a business of 'photos for all occasions'.
The bus services wouldn't be that good because they are ads, and what would you be a councillor of?
Reply 9
Original post by 2scotty
That news article was edited by the Editor though!

What about the top photo? The one used in the article. I was praised for that?

That photo isn't me, but was used for a newspaper article. I took many photos, some with studio lighting in a photography studio, but for some reason, they went for that one. That's why it's in my portfolio.

Have you got a scan of the newspaper article? If you really want to put that on your portfolio then the article itself with the clean image next to it would be better, doing the same for the Bristol 24/7 article would be good too (don't know if that was actually published or not, if it's just on the site then take a screenshot and provide a link). It's better to show how your work was used, if you're leaving images like that on your portfolio to show work experience.

I think in general you need to take a more critical approach to your work in order to strive for shots that stand out. It doesn't matter if you're "praised" for it, there's always room for improvement and if you just take "good enough", or think "people that aren't going to say bad things to me say they like my photos" is an accomplishment, then you'll never get to the standard that you want to reach.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:
Original post by Luneth
Have you got a scan of the newspaper article? If you really want to put that on your portfolio then the article itself with the clean image next to it would be better, doing the same for the Bristol 24/7 article would be good too (don't know if that was actually published or not, if it's just on the site then take a screenshot and provide a link). It's better to show how your work was used, if you're leaving images like that on your portfolio to show work experience.

I think in general you need to take a more critical approach to your work in order to strive for shots that stand out. It doesn't matter if you're "praised" for it, there's always room for improvement and if you just take "good enough", or think "people that aren't going to say bad things to me say they like my photos" is an accomplishment, then you'll never get to the standard that you want to reach.

I know there is always room for improvement. I understand that. I just think it's because no one has ever given me suggestions on my website before. Like people say it's good, but have never properly said anything about it.
Original post by 2scotty

if that's something you're interested in, you could join something like the Youth Parliament and see if you would like a career as a politician.
Original post by hodobikar
if that's something you're interested in, you could join something like the Youth Parliament and see if you would like a career as a politician.

Thank you... I'm going to go for it!
Original post by 2scotty
Thank you... I'm going to go for it!

good luck ! :smile:
Your landscapes are good, I liked them!

Your writing is fine.

The trouble is, there is hardly any money in these fields. Paid journalism is a dying career, and even when it wasn't it was tremendously competitive. Photography is a hobby. Only a fraction of a % will ever make money from it.

It looks like perhaps you would like a career in graphic design? There is at least some money in that, although I know next to nothing about the field. Maybe others here can help. The reason you get rejected from jobs is because you are competing against hordes of other people. As you are young, most will be more experienced than you. It sucks, I appreciate. But keep doing what you can for friends, charities etc. to build up a portfolio, and keep applying.

I graduated a long time ago (before economic crisis) with a 1st class STEM degree from Oxbridge. I still had to apply over 100 times to get a (crappy) job. We all go through it.
I liked the photography, your writing was a little too matter of fact and bland but not awful. There are loads of mediocre journalists who are far worse though, just read the guardian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending