The Student Room Group

If a stranger started a conversation with you in public....

... how would you react? Would you be happy or annoyed? Would you try and end it quickly or allow it to continue?

Let's assume this person is around the same age as you are :smile: #Moooose

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I walk about with my headphones in when I'm alone in public, whether I'm listening to music or not so I'd be a little confused if they started talking to me while I had them in. Not gonna lie, I would try and end it quickly. I don't like being approached randomly by strangers, whether they are my age or not and if they mean well. That's just me :redface:
Reply 2
Pretend to be too focused on my phone (I'm always on it) and ignore them.
Respond "accordingly" and let the conversation die out quickly unless they keep talking to me, yes i'm that kind of awkward
I'm pretty antisocial and I like being left alone, I don't really like small talk etc so I'd be polite but I'd try and get away asap.
Reply 5
Well, recently this 'stranger' (around my age) came up to me and said 'hey, you have very pretty eyes'. He caught me off guard so, I was quiet. He said 'I just complimented you, at least say 'thank you'. I said 'thanks'. He kept asking if I live close by and before he could expect a reply, his bus came. He said 'well, bye, see you around'. I felt so relieved that he went away. :lol: (He was good looking but it was very strange for me).
Honestly, they'd probably wouldn't start the convo if the knew how socially awkward I could get.
Totally depends on my mood and whose with me.
So I could blank out not even realise they are talking to me, freeze, try to end it quickly or actually engage in conversation and swap contact details :biggrin: [always extremes it seems]
I walk really fast, people think I'm on my way to fight someone or stop me to ask if I'm angry all the time.

So I'd have to slow down for them and give em this face :curious: but ask, "alrite mate?" That's what I normally do when strangers stop me.

If I'm busy I rush passed easily with #NoRegerts.
Original post by OvergrownMoose
... how would you react? Would you be happy or annoyed? Would you try and end it quickly or allow it to continue?

I'd be more than happy to talk. You never know, they could potentially have some really interesting things to say.
I would say: "my mommy said I shouldn't speak to strangers"
I'd talk to them, i like talking to people so i guess i wouldn't mind :h:
Reply 11
It's always cool ! I'm it's always sweet when especially elderly people start taking to you, but yeah I love a good conversation :h::colondollar:
I don't talk to strangers in public, I always wear headphones and I'm on my phone lol!
Obviously it totally depends on context and what they said. Generally though, I find it uncomfortable.
Original post by OvergrownMoose

Try and maintain the conversation before it gets creepy :colondollar:
I get on better with people older or younger than me though to be honest XD
Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy
I'd be more than happy to talk. You never know, they could potentially have some really interesting things to say.

same

unless they start small talk **** about the weather etc
I'd be up for it as long as they don't start a weird convo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alkaline.
same

unless they start small talk **** about the weather etc

Pensioners do that lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go with it for a few seconds, smile and back away slowly.
I talk to strangers, usually when i'm just sat waiting at the airport. Generally you can tell if someone just wants to be left alone depending on the way they respond back to you.

I wouldn't mind to be honest but it depends on my mood. xD

Quick Reply

Latest