The Student Room Group

Does anyone actually get into a relationship easily?

Does anyone actually get into a relationship by just looking at a stranger across a room or is that just in the movies? I'm not sure if it's because I'm ugly or it's just the way it is for everyone in England, but nobody ever looks at me in public. How do most people get into relationships?
Reply 1
It’s pretty easy if you’re very attractive, the lucky few tend to have a queue of people waiting in hope of them becoming single again. For everyone else it is pretty had work with a lot of effort to market yourself
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
It’s pretty easy if you’re very attractive, the lucky few tend to have a queue of people waiting in hope of them becoming single again. For everyone else it is pretty had work with a lot of effort to market yourself

It seems like nobody ever makes eye contact in England though, especially London?

It's so strange that there's around 8 billion people on the planet and yet it is such hard work to find a partner.
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek

What would you say are the best ways I should try to find a girlfriend? I've not had any success in the past and it's making me feel really down about myself.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It seems like nobody ever makes eye contact in England though, especially London?

It's so strange that there's around 8 billion people on the planet and yet it is such hard work to find a partner.

The problem is that we live in weird times where making eye contact for a prolonged period of time could be seen as rude, aggressive or creepy. The big debate is how long is ok for good eye contact.

Also Londoners differ, there are some who would briefly make eye contact and smile while others would simply blank you.

Also, females probably don't want to send the wrong signal hence avoid eye contact. I went to Yorkshire and there were loads of people smiling and making good eye contact.

Does anyone actually get into a relationship by just looking at a stranger across a room or is that just in the movies? I'm not sure if it's because I'm ugly or it's just the way it is for everyone in England, but nobody ever looks at me in public. How do most people get into relationships?

If you are female, you should be able to secure a lad. Just go out to bars and smile/be polite. A good spot is Wetherspoons or All Bar One. Good luck
Kind of. I can find people to date easily, but it's because I'm confident enough to just ask someone on a date rather than playing subtle.
Reply 6

Not helped by everyone wanting to date models
Reply 7
What would you say are the best ways I should try to find a girlfriend? I've not had any success in the past and it's making me feel really down about myself.

Learning from set backs, learning from more successful friends, playing to strengths and doing what you can on any weaknesses, practice flirting widely. But more than anything, keeping a bit of self confidence and having lots of tenacity and patience. With this something good comes along
Reply 8
Some people do.
It depends on their habits, ambitions, appearance, dealbreakers, social circle and confidence.
Not just looks or income level.

Some of the very horrid felon scumbags have very active dating lives.
Despite the fact that they have very unpleasant habits, highly dysfunctional lifestyles, no accomodation or history of employment and no desire to ever earn an honest living.
Reply 9
Does anyone actually get into a relationship by just looking at a stranger across a room or is that just in the movies?

Kind of yes to the first.

I literally bumped into a guy at work when he realised I was behind him and unexpectedly pushed a door back open to let me through. We had our first 2 dates four days later and he's now my long-term boyfriend.
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia

I literally bumped into a guy at work when he realised I was behind him and unexpectedly pushed a door back open to let me through. We had our first 2 dates four days later and he's now my long-term boyfriend.

How did this happen? For me, when I hold a door open for someone, at the most I get a "thank you" and even that isn't guaranteed.
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia

What did the conversation go like?

I feel you :hugs:I wonder the same too... How do people just start... dating? Like I have a crush on someone but how do I know they like me back (or notices me) at all? How do you know there's a mutual attraction and not just you fantasising about nothing?
Reply 13
How did this happen? For me, when I hold a door open for someone, at the most I get a "thank you" and even that isn't guaranteed.

What did the conversation go like?

We thought we recognised each other, so we talked about where we'd worked and eventually sussed out he'd visited somewhere I'd been based several years before; weird thing is we don't actually remember seeing each other and never had any direct interaction then, so I don't know why we made such a strong impression on each other. First date was a 12 mile run, second was a very long dinner and it went from there.

We had just our jobs in common (military), no shared hobbies, quite different characters, so I don't know why it works, but it does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending