The Student Room Group

3 A Levels or 4 A Levels?

This is most likely an often asked question, but does the University of Cambridge prefer 3 or 4 A Levels?

I know there are many other factors, but seeing as AS Levels are being reformed, would I be at a disadvantage if I applied with only 3 A2s when presumably many other candidates will be applying with 4 next year?
Hi there. I don't think it really matters tbh. If the university specifically says you need 4 subjects then yes it does matter. But if they say they only want 3 then doing a 4th subject does not give you any advantage. All they need is 3 grades (A*AA or whatever they ask). I think that is hard enough to get so I would not add extra pressure by doing an extra A-level :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by mj1dan2014
Hi there. I don't think it really matters tbh. If the university specifically says you need 4 subjects then yes it does matter. But if they say they only want 3 then doing a 4th subject does not give you any advantage. All they need is 3 grades (A*AA or whatever they ask). I think that is hard enough to get so I would not add extra pressure by doing an extra A-level :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by asleep
This is most likely an often asked question, but does the University of Cambridge prefer 3 or 4 A Levels?

I know there are many other factors, but seeing as AS Levels are being reformed, would I be at a disadvantage if I applied with only 3 A2s when presumably many other candidates will be applying with 4 next year?

Quality not quantity for Cambridge (and anywhere for that matter) :smile:

Having "only" 3 is absolutely fine, and increasingly common due to the A-level reforms.

What course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asleep

Yes, it's been asked about 10,000 times - a search will reveal just how many.

The standard offer is 3 A levels. You are at no advantage doing 4.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill

Having "only" 3 is absolutely fine, and increasingly common due to the A-level reforms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And remember A*AA (arts) or A*A*A (sciences) is better at Cambridge than AAAA. Good luck with everything.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I am considering applying for the English course. I am taking English Lit, French, Geo and Bio for A Level and currently the workload is manageable, but I am finding French the hardest, however a modern language is the only subject which some of the colleges have stated is useful for the English course so I am not sure if that would be the logical option to drop.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, it's been asked about 10,000 times - a search will reveal just how many.

The standard offer is 3 A levels. You are at no advantage doing 4.

thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 210555
And remember A*AA (arts) or A*A*A (sciences) is better at Cambridge than AAAA. Good luck with everything.

you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending