The Student Room Group

USA to be expelled from the British Commonwealth?

Poll

Should the USA be expelled from the Commonwealth?

Should the USA be expelled from the British Commonwealth if Trump goes ahead with his plan to deport 3 million immigrants and build a wall around Mexico?

I think the US should be expelled from the commonwealth and a petition for that be passed before parliament.

If May refuses then she should resign. Then the US be required to pay back any funds they have gained from our commonwealth and face trade sanctions if they don't.

Scroll to see replies

WTF are you talking about? The US isn't a member of the Commonwealth. And it's not the BRITISH Commonwealth, it's just the Commonwealth.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Should the USA be expelled from the British Commonwealth if Trump goes ahead with his plan to deport 3 million immigrants and build a wall around Mexico?

I think the US should be expelled from the commonwealth and a petition for that be passed before parliament.

If May refuses then she should resign. Then the US be required to pay back any funds they have gained from our commonwealth and face trade sanctions if they don't.

Another triumph for the well-informed posting pattern of Ambitious1999.

There's no such thing as the British Commonwealth, it's just the Commonwealth and the US isn't in it.

Do you spend all day dreaming up this drivel? No wonder people call you a troll.

The USA is not a member of the Commonwealth and so cannot be expelled.

commonwealth.PNG
Original post by markova21
WTF are you talking about? The US isn't a member of the Commonwealth. And it's not the BRITISH Commonwealth, it's just the Commonwealth.

It is a member of the commonwealth because it was discovered and governed by Britain, just like Canada, Australia, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc. All these countries are in the commonwealth and so is the USA. (Why else does the flag of Hawaii have a Union Jack in it when its a US state? )

Mexico for example is part of the Spanish commonwealth
Tahiti is part of the French commonwealth

Anyway. The USA has a responsibility not to bring the commonwealth into disrepute that could affect the reputation of Britain and our queen by effectively having a rogue state within its commonwealth.
There is no "British commonwealth" - it's the the commonwealth.

The USA has never been a member. There are many country that used to be British ruled and are not members for example the republic of Ireland.
(edited 7 years ago)
It is a member of the commonwealth because it was discovered and governed by Britain, just like Canada, Australia, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc. All these countries are in the commonwealth and so is the USA. (Why else does the flag of Hawaii have a Union Jack in it when its a US state? )

Mexico for example is part of the Spanish commonwealth
Tahiti is part of the French commonwealth

Anyway. The USA has a responsibility not to bring the commonwealth into disrepute that could affect the reputation of Britain and our queen by effectively having a rogue state within its commonwealth.

It is not. Go and look it up. Every thread you start is the same trolling nonsense.
I have just posted you a list of the mebers of the Commonwelath and NO USA.
Reply 8
British Empire =/= The Commonwealth of Nations

USA left the Empire in 1776. And was never in the Commonwealth (which was only established in 1949).

/endthread
Original post by 999tigger
It is not. Go and look it up. Every thread you start is the same trolling nonsense.
I have just posted you a list of the mebers of the Commonwelath and NO USA.

Here is the proof

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_(U.S._state)

Ok 4 states are in the commonwealth and they can be expelled.

I once read History at GCSE.
(edited 7 years ago)

:rofl:
Reply 11
They entered illegally and have been allowed to for decades unopposed.

Didn't Reagan give a load of illegals amnesty and who did they vote for after?

Is being sent back to Mexico such a horrible thing? Is Mexico really such a *****y country? Why don't they clean up their *****y drug infested country before bringing them over the border and destroying other communities.
Reply 12
Here is the proof

"The name "Commonwealth of Virginia" dates back to its independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain."

So it's part of the name of Virginia but that doesn't mean Virginia is a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. They are different commonwealths. And as your article says Virginia (and the other 3 states) left the Empire in 1776.
Original post by jneill
"The name "Commonwealth of Virginia" dates back to its independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain."

So it's part of the name of Virginia but that doesn't mean Virginia is a part of the Commonwealth of Nations. They are different commonwealths. And as your article says Virginia (and the other 3 states) left the Empire in 1776.

Why do the mods let the OP get away with this consistent trolling? Its every thread.
Reply 14
Here is the proof

Your own citation disproves your point:

"The term "Commonwealth" does not describe or provide for any specific political status or legal relationship when used by a state.[7] Those that do use it are equal to those that do not. A traditional English term for a political community founded for the common good, it is used symbolically to emphasize that these states have a "government based on the common consent of the people"[8] as opposed to one legitimated through their earlier colonial status that was derived from the British crown. It refers to the common "weal", or welfare, of the public[9] and is derived from a loose translation of the Latin term res publica (cf.the 17th-century Commonwealth of England)."
(edited 7 years ago)
Here is the proof

That is the US commonwealth. I presume your last point about GCSE history is just confirmation you are trolling.
I think Ambitiuuuos99999 has outdone himself with this thread.

Find another hobby.
Original post by Magnum97
They entered illegally and have been allowed to for decades unopposed.

Didn't Reagan give a load of illegals amnesty and who did they vote for after?

Is being sent back to Mexico such a horrible thing? Is Mexico really such a *****y country? Why don't they clean up their *****y drug infested country before bringing them over the border and destroying other communities.

:colonhash: ?
Stop feeding this shark jumping Troll.
He's not even any good or subtle
And with that I'm out.
Blah blah blah. Makes as much sense as this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending