The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of being right-wing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Except that is completely wrong and we have deregulation and tax cuts for the rich to thank for two of the worst financial crashes in history. Trickle down economics doesn't work, period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if you read my comment you would see a rejection of the notion of trickle down economics, and I never said that deregulation and lower corporate taxes didn't have side-effects.
The benefit is that right wingers are less likely to suffer from a cancer called politicial correctness, and also that they got to enjoy 2016. As a liberal, I am jealous of these benefits but not much else. :colonhash:
Original post by Multitalented me
I'm more left-wing but my dad is more right-wing as he said it's more efficient and fairer for society. I don't totally understand what are the positives of a right-wing orientated system as I'm a strong supporter of equality and feel being on the left is the way to go personally.

On a fundamental level being 'right wing' is beneficial because such people believe in less tax and spend (so people keep more of their incomes). In addition such people believe in the merits of price signals and the ability of competition to deliver low prices and drive consumption.

It's worth saying that capitalists don't desire inequality per say but rather that we consider an acceptable symptom of wealth creation and are more concerned with the absolute increase in wealth and incomes rather than the relative. For example we believe that inflation is 2% and wage growth for the lowest quartile of workers is 5% then it is perfectly acceptable that the CEO awards himself a 15% pay increase because all workers have still seen their real incomes grow even though relative inequality has increased.

*Clearly we have a problem right now in that house prices are rising too fast (caused by government intervention in the credit market) and real wages are not rising fast enough (caused by both Labour and the Tories completely ignoring the issue - even Corbyn has not proposed a solution for those not on minimum wage).
Original post by Swanbow
And if you read my comment you would see a rejection of the notion of trickle down economics, and I never said that deregulation and lower corporate taxes didn't have side-effects.

As a pragmatic capitalist i think it's important to seperate people and business.

I think that trickle down economics absolutely works for business in the sense that if you reduce taxes or cut business costs then you do create more businesses, more employment and therefore spread the benefit to the workers.

Where i agree with you is that trickle down economics for people is complete horse crap. Lowering the tax rate on Lord Sugar will not create another job outside of HMRC. That being said, the ONS have calculated the optimum tax rate to be around 48% (currently 47%) so i don't think there's an argument to raise taxation, i just don't see one to reduce it either.
Original post by cbreef
The Scandinavians have a pretty good system too.

While i'll give you credit for Sweden and Denmark i'd point out that Finland is not economically exceptional and that Norway is rich because it's oil production per capita is comparable to the UAE although i am envious of their approach to the sovereign wealth fund and maintaining a significant fiscal surplus.
Original post by Aladdinsaaane
The benefit is that right wingers are less likely to suffer from a cancer called politicial correctness, and also that they got to enjoy 2016. As a liberal, I am jealous of these benefits but not much else. :colonhash:

Where I'm standing right wingers are the most PC of all because they get upset at being called out for what they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
While i'll give you credit for Sweden and Denmark i'd point out that Finland is not economically exceptional and that Norway is rich because it's oil production per capita is comparable to the UAE although i am envious of their approach to the sovereign wealth fund and maintaining a significant fiscal surplus.

They all have a lot of good going for them. Finland has the best education system in Europe and was once ranked 1st in the entire world. Norway's wealth fund is genius. Recessions have a negligible effect on them most of the time. And then Denmark apparently has the happiest people in the world so... :biggrin:

*Another thing that doesn't matter really is that Finland isn't considered part of Scandinavia by some but it really depends on who you ask.*
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem with the political left is that its full of what are just plain old clear contradictions.

They're in favour of feminism and the empowerment of women but daren't say a word against Islam.

They're supposedly in favour of working-class protectionism (tube drivers striking & preventing people outside TFL applying for their jobs etc.) but all of a sudden transform into hard-right Thatcherite free-marketeers as soon as people vote against the EU to protect themselves against competition for jobs.

They're against grammar schools and private schools but invariably send their own kids to both.

They're quick to slate homophobia but defend Castro and Guevara to the hilt.

They argue that men and women aren't different in the slightest and that its sexist to think so - but that transgender people are who they identify as regardless of their chromosones, and therefore you can literally be born with the wrong-gendered brain (i.e, there's such a thing as a male brain and a female brain).

...and it doesn't take a genius to see these things! That's the point! The common man can see this **** clearly and understand that there isn't a shred of consistency to left-wing ideology. So ultimately, they shrug their shoulders and vote for the righties, and its happening all over the world.
Where I'm standing right wingers are the most PC of all because they get upset at being called out for what they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least they don't suffer from a terrorist fetish!
Original post by Matthew7
The problem with the political left is that its full of what are just plain old clear contradictions.

They're in favour of feminism and the empowerment of women but daren't say a word against Islam.

They're supposedly in favour of working-class protectionism (tube drivers striking & preventing people outside TFL applying for their jobs etc.) but all of a sudden transform into hard-right Thatcherite free-marketeers as soon as people vote against the EU to protect themselves against competition for jobs.

They're against grammar schools and private schools but invariably send their own kids to both.

They're quick to slate homophobia but defend Castro and Guevara to the hilt.

They argue that men and women aren't different in the slightest and that its sexist to think so - but that transgender people are who they identify as regardless of their chromosones, and therefore you can literally be born with the wrong-gendered brain (i.e, there's such a thing as a male brain and a female brain).

...and it doesn't take a genius to see these things! That's the point! The common man can see this **** clearly and understand that there isn't a shred of consistency to left-wing ideology. So ultimately, they shrug their shoulders and vote for the righties, and its happening all over the world.

The problem with the political right is that it's full of what are just plain old clear contradictions.

They're in favour of free speech and empowerment of white men but find Black Lives Matters abhorrent.

They're supposedly in favour of working class protectionism but want to keep wages low and deregulate which leads to people staying in poverty while the rich get richer.

They're against the role of government in providing healthcare as a right but invariably have used the NHS.

They're quick to slate fundamentalist Islam but defend fundamentalist Christianity to the hilt.

They argue that economic migrants are simultaneously lazy benefit scroungers but are also taking all of the jobs of native workers. They argue that the actions of Islamic extremists reflect on every single Muslim, but do not apply this when a Planned Parenthood clinic is shot up in the name of God, or when a Norwegian gunman massacres schoolchildren in the name of Christianity.

They argue that political correctness is a terrible thing, but will not allow you to call them a racist or a nationalist because it is offensive.

...and it doesn't take a genius to see these things! That's the point! The common man can see this **** clearly and understand there isn't a shred of consistency to right-wing ideology. So ultimately, the working classes of the West are lead to vote for con men and charlatans who will shaft them twice as hard as the neoliberals but who will tell them it's someone else's fault.

Because it always is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aladdinsaaane
At least they don't suffer from a terrorist fetish!

I don't know which progressives you know but my fetishes don't include suicide belts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem with the political right is that it's full of what are just plain old clear contradictions.

They're in favour of free speech and empowerment of white men but find Black Lives Matters abhorrent.

No-one objects to Black Lives Matter's free speech. They object to the violence and looting.

They're supposedly in favour of working class protectionism but want to keep wages low and deregulate which leads to people staying in poverty while the rich get richer.

Er, but wait...the right aren't in favour of working-class protectionism are they? There is no contradiction there. Not that I agree with them. I'm with old-school Labour on this one.

They're against the role of government in providing healthcare as a right but invariably have used the NHS.

Almost everyone Tory or Labour is in favour of the existence of the NHS in some capacity.

They're quick to slate fundamentalist Islam but defend fundamentalist Christianity to the hilt.

Please provide an example of anyone who isn't a Christian nutter who slates fundamentalist Islam whilst defending fundamentalist Christianity. Most people on the right that I know are of the Christopher Hitchens school of 'all-religion-is-bad'. You may agree or disagree, but there's no contradiction there.

They argue that economic migrants are simultaneously lazy benefit scroungers but are also taking all of the jobs of native workers.

This is a fair point, but its offset by those on the left who argue that economic migrants are 'willing to do the jobs the natives won't do' and then supposedly have no effect on wage depression.

They argue that the actions of Islamic extremists reflect on every single Muslim, but do not apply this when a Planned Parenthood clinic is shot up in the name of God, or when a Norwegian gunman massacres schoolchildren in the name of Christianity.

Again, please provide a mainstream example of this.

They argue that political correctness is a terrible thing, but will not allow you to call them a racist or a nationalist because it is offensive.

Well it depends whether the charge of racism or nationalism is true. If I call you a rapist and a paedophile, you're not objecting to my free speech when you defend yourself, you're defending yourself against a baseless smear and accusation!

...and it doesn't take a genius to see these things! That's the point! The common man can see this **** clearly and understand there isn't a shred of consistency to right-wing ideology. So ultimately, the working classes of the West are lead to vote for con men and charlatans who will shaft them twice as hard as the neoliberals but who will tell them it's someone else's fault.

A drowning man will clutch at the blade of a sword I'm afraid.

If left-wing parties are going to regain power in the West, they need to come up with a coherent set of principles that don't flip and flop based on the identity of those they apply to.
No-one objects to Black Lives Matter's free speech. They object to the violence and looting.

Er, but wait...the right aren't in favour of working-class protectionism are they? There is no contradiction there. Not that I agree with them. I'm with old-school Labour on this one.

Almost everyone Tory or Labour is in favour of the existence of the NHS in some capacity.

Please provide an example of anyone who isn't a Christian nutter who slates fundamentalist Islam whilst defending fundamentalist Christianity. Most people on the right that I know are of the Christopher Hitchens school of 'all-religion-is-bad'. You may agree or disagree, but there's no contradiction there.

This is a fair point, but its offset by those on the left who argue that economic migrants are 'willing to do the jobs the natives won't do' and then supposedly have no effect on wage depression.

Again, please provide a mainstream example of this.

Well it depends whether the charge of racism or nationalism is true. If I call you a rapist and a paedophile, you're not objecting to my free speech when you defend yourself, you're defending yourself against a baseless smear and accusation!

A drowning man will clutch at the blade of a sword I'm afraid.

If left-wing parties are going to regain power in the West, they need to come up with a coherent set of principles that don't flip and flop based on the identity of those they apply to.

+1
Original post by the bear
left wing = everyone is a victim

right wing = you make your own luck

left wing = protest to save the world and everything in it

right wing = complain to further there own agenda

notice everyone how right wing people complain, its always about the finer details and never about the bigger point

and that's how they controle and ruin the world for everyone

that is post truth politics for you and that is the psychological form of abuse called gasslighting

lie lie lie
Original post by ohyeah12

right wing = complain to further there own agenda

notice everyone how right wing people complain, its always about the finer details and never about the bigger point

and that's how they controle and ruin the world for everyone

that is post truth politics for you and that is the psychological form of abuse called gasslighting

lie lie lie

Spot the commie is such an easy game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I genuinely am a neutral. People might not believe me, but I honestly decided not to vote in the last general election.

Anyway, please listen and let me help you, because I'd like to see the political left get its house in order and form some kind of a coherent opposition.

THIS:

...is your problem.

A Labour government is in no position to save the world and everything in it.

Actually, an attempt to do so is exactly what works *against* the interest of the British working class, as it invariably leads to increased competition for jobs, healthcare, school places, council houses and public services through mass immigration and jobs being outsourced - which is why they're now all voting Tory and UKIP.

A proper Labour party that wants to win an election should be arguing for protectionism, higher minimum wages and rent caps as well as things like higher taxes on the rich and extra funding for the NHS.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Spot the commie is such an easy game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spot the buffoon is even easier when they are bright orange and wear a ferret on their head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I genuinely am a neutral. People might not believe me, but I honestly decided not to vote in the last general election.

Anyway, please listen and let me help you, because I'd like to see the political left get its house in order and form some kind of a coherent opposition.

THIS:

...is your problem.

A Labour government is in no position to save the world and everything in it.

Actually, an attempt to do so is exactly what works *against* the interest of the British working class, as it invariably leads to increased competition for jobs, healthcare, school places, council houses and public services through mass immigration and jobs being outsourced - which is why they're now all voting Tory and UKIP.

A proper Labour party that wants to win an election should be arguing for protectionism, higher minimum wages and rent caps as well as things like higher taxes on the rich and extra funding for the NHS.

im not right or left wing either im an indipendant

but i can tel you my problems as an independent

i find it very difficult to make decisions because the right doesnt seem to want to argue, it just seems to choose tactics over debate every time

i understand the benefits of being right and left wing and the drawbacks of both but extreem left people seem to be anoying because there just dumb but extreem right people are evil, so im not a liberal or a concervative but when it comes to extreems i think both are bad but evil is worse
im not right or left wing either im an indipendant

but i can tel you my problems as an independent

i find it very difficult to make decisions because the right doesnt seem to want to argue, it just seems to choose tactics over debate every time

i understand the benefits of being right and left wing and the drawbacks of both but extreem left people seem to be anoying because there just dumb but extreem right people are evil, so im not a liberal or a concervative but when it comes to extreems i think both are bad but evil is worse

Sure. I mean, very, very few people are supporters of the far-right.

Quite a few people are keen on relatively centre-to-centre right positions of the Conservatives though. They just aren't seen as these massively evil people outside the echo chambers of Facebook, Twitter and the Guardian.
Sure. I mean, very, very few people are supporters of the far-right.

Quite a few people are keen on relatively centre-to-centre right positions of the Conservatives though. They just aren't seen as these massively evil people outside the echo chambers of Facebook, Twitter and the Guardian.

Pensioners and the wealthy have much to gain from Tory policy, not sure about many others. Where do you get this idea they are centrist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending