The Student Room Group

Cambridge Rejects 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nicecuppat
Oh right, I'm sure I've seen ATs on the thread saying 'now we haven't got UMS any more' etc. For someone with only one subject with UMS it would be quite a pity for them to lose out due to a poor module when someone else who didn't shine in a reformed exam effectively gets away with it! I think it's probably been a difficult year of entry with this mixed bag of UMS and admissions tests, it does sound like a few good candidates have slipped through the net.

Perhaps, but one poor module is unlikely to be "fatal" to an otherwise strong application.

The selection process is always difficult :frown:
Original post by jneill
Perhaps, but one poor module is unlikely to be "fatal" to an otherwise strong application.

The selection process is always difficult :frown:

Absolutely, in our case our son was always aware that his application would be borderline, he was late to the idea of medicine so didn't have the years of planning and knowledge that other applicants might have had, plus he'd underperformed at AS. He was one of those 'you don't know unless you try' applicants! That is probably why he already had (surprisingly) a full back-up plan and didn't need the emotional bolstering I had thought I'd need to lend when the email came through. (Especially as we had to tell them that same night that out cat had been run over and killed... 😿)
I think he'll be far more savvy if he reapplies next year and should have a much better chance. A levels first though! 😬
I think for other applicants who can't see a reason why they didn't even get to interview and didn't have obvious weaknesses the feedback will be crucial to understand what to do to improve their application again. I hope they get some answers.
Reply 42
Absolutely, in our case our son was always aware that his application would be borderline, he was late to the idea of medicine so didn't have the years of planning and knowledge that other applicants might have had, plus he'd underperformed at AS. He was one of those 'you don't know unless you try' applicants! That is probably why he already had (surprisingly) a full back-up plan and didn't need the emotional bolstering I had thought I'd need to lend when the email came through. (Especially as we had to tell them that same night that out cat had been run over and killed... 😿)
I think he'll be far more savvy if he reapplies next year and should have a much better chance. A levels first though! 😬
I think for other applicants who can't see a reason why they didn't even get to interview and didn't have obvious weaknesses the feedback will be crucial to understand what to do to improve their application again. I hope they get some answers.

Good luck to your son (and you!) :smile:

Just one thing... I'm sure he knows that medicine is equally valued no matter which university he goes to, and Cambridge's course may not be the "best" option depending on what he wants to do in his medical career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Good luck to your son (and you!) :smile:

Just one thing... I'm sure he knows that medicine is equally valued no matter which university he goes to, and Cambridge's course may not be the "best" option depending on what he wants to do in his medical career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. It will be an interesting couple of years ahead with him and not long after his brother will be looking at universities no doubt! 😱
Holy Cow! Rejected?! Why? You look like a great candidate to me. Oh well, you will be bound to do really well somewhere else. I expect I'll be joining you on here soon if the standards are this astronomical!
Reply 45
Original post by alohaamigo
All you sad lot are just moping around. Its your fault if you didnt get the grades to even get an interview, so maybe you should be studying instead of following threads and wollowing in self pity

What an enlightening first ever post on TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joining the club

I got rejected for English at Wolfson.
Reply 47
+1 follow to queue of rejects
just finished the interview and act like an idiot
most probably will receive rejection in mid Jan
Reply 48
My son was rejected from Cauis for medicine. He's planning on taking a year out to work and bank up some money before reapplying next year with (hopefully good A-level grades behind him). He really liked the course structure at Cambridge but is going to try really hard for his other interviews (has 1 in January & hopefully more to come) so that if he doesn't get the A* fantasia he needs he's got a back-up. Good luck to you all!

TBH it's tough enough getting an offer for medicine anywhere even with the highest grades. I know many who achieved top grades who have been forced on a Gap year because of the sheer competitive nature of medicine. Don't assume A* s will be enough. Most I know would be glad of an offer for medicine anywhere, Cambridge isn't necessary for it. Best of luck to your son.
Original post by Kepler-16b
My friends all have offers, one of my best friends has 4 offers and a cambridge interview. Here I am, no offers and Cambridge rejection :':wink: I thought my predicted (IB 44) was good enough, but I must've messed up my NSAA and must have a pretty weak statement. Totally coping and don't want to cry, nope!

A little late, but what was your subject combination? I'm curious as to why they would deselect an IB applicant when there's no UMS to refer to. Do you think it could have been GCSEs? (I'm not from the UK so I'm not very familiar with your system, just curious)
Reply 50
Original post by Infested
A little late, but what was your subject combination? I'm curious as to why they would deselect an IB applicant when there's no UMS to refer to. Do you think it could have been GCSEs? (I'm not from the UK so I'm not very familiar with your system, just curious)

UMS is only used for A-Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ray_029
UMS is only used for A-Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I meant. There was no UMS for them to look at which I gather is usually the main factor in disqualifying applicants for interview.
Original post by 210555
TBH it's tough enough getting an offer for medicine anywhere even with the highest grades. I know many who achieved top grades who have been forced on a Gap year because of the sheer competitive nature of medicine. Don't assume A* s will be enough. Most I know would be glad of an offer for medicine anywhere, Cambridge isn't necessary for it. Best of luck to your son.

Thank you, it does seem to be incredibly difficult to get a place to study medicine. He wants to build up his work experience more and take biology to open up more university choices, however, if he receives an offer this year who knows how he will feel in the summer? It all feels like a massive gamble but I trust him to make the correct decision!
You guys should be proud to be Cambridge rejects. You got quite far :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by the_malis
You guys should be proud to be Cambridge rejects. You got quite far :smile:

agreed ...
:lies:
I know it's really hard, but things happen for a reason. I was pooled and rejected from Cambridge despite my grades. I still got a First Class honours degree in Law from Durham University and I am now going to do my PGCE at Cambridge. Trust that you all have the potential and keep trying your hardest. Good luck everyone, you will do amazingly wherever you go! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Forecast
Any idea as to why you might have been rejected? That profile looks pretty strong on paper - so much for aiming to interview 'all suitably qualified applicants'.

Original post by thatawesomekid
Not really, but may have been getting 77 ums in S1. I've emailed them for feedback however they have told me I have to wait until Jan 10th. Anyway, definitely aiming to get 4A*s this year so that if I reapply, I'm in a much stronger position than this year

Looking at the Explanation of Results on the BMAT page here:
http://admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/scoring-and-results/
your BMAT scores were fairly average, other than the 6.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tiny hobbit
Looking at the Explanation of Results on the BMAT page here:
http://www.waoc.routegadget.co.uk/rg2/#61
your BMAT scores were fairly average, other than the 6.

bro that website is just maps
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 22chicken
bro that website is just maps

Oops! Apologies, that was the link for the last thing I posted, the orienteering maps of the North Cambridge event in May.

I'll edit my posting.
Reply 59
Original post by tiny hobbit
Oops! Apologies, that was the link for the last thing I posted, the orienteering maps of the North Cambridge event in May.

I'll edit my posting.

Lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending