The Student Room Group

Medicine Work Experience

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking for work experience so that I can apply for Medicine in entry 2018... I was just wondering if volunteering at an SEN after school club or something similar would look good, or nah????

What kind of work experience are you guys currently looking at/ doing??
:smile:
Original post by maryamrizvi2000
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking for work experience so that I can apply for Medicine in entry 2018... I was just wondering if volunteering at an SEN after school club or something similar would look good, or nah????

What kind of work experience are you guys currently looking at/ doing??
:smile:

Have a read through this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine , it's quite helpful regarding anything Medicine related.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Have a read through this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine , it's quite helpful regarding anything Medicine related.

oh wow thank you so much
Yeah after school club is good but you will need healthcare work experience too..so volunteer at a hospital or clinic because some universities are picky about that I will be applying for 2018 medicine and I'm doing voluntary work in a hospital :smile:
Original post by BritneySmith
Yeah after school club is good but you will need healthcare work experience too..so volunteer at a hospital or clinic because some universities are picky about that I will be applying for 2018 medicine and I'm doing voluntary work in a hospital :smile:

oh that's brilliant. Which hospital are you volunteering at? Also, are you doing more admin type work or shadowing someone, etc etc...
Original post by maryamrizvi2000
oh that's brilliant. Which hospital are you volunteering at? Also, are you doing more admin type work or shadowing someone, etc etc...

Great Ormond Street hospital and abit of shadowing and befriender to patients start looking on hospital websites and contact them as well do it soon because they may not be able to provide you a reference for the uni before 6 months although each uni is different St George's want to see it at the interview if it's one of your choices
Yes definitely get work experience with special needs children as part of your application.

Medical schools tend to look for your to have work experience in 3 specific types of people:
1. Diseased (in a hospital, GP surgery, a hospice, day centre for people with illnesses)
2. Disabled (special needs children would come under this, basically anyone with a physical or mental disability, could be a care home)
3. Disadvantaged (homeless shelters, schools in low income areas, young carers, elderly people)

The work experience I have is as follows: 1 week on an Oncology ward, 2 weeks at a special needs secondary school, 1 week at a primary school, 5 months of volunteering once a week at a hospice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending