The Student Room Group

Psychology or Sociology?

Which one should I pick for A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kesha19

Which do you think would be more interesting to you? Also, what are you hoping to do/study after A Levels? :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Which do you think would be more interesting to you? Also, what are you hoping to do/study after A Levels? :smile:

I find both quite interesting but I'm going to drop it after a year as it's my 4th choice. All my other choices are academic and science-related, so I'm choosing either psychology or sociology as they're both essay subjects and a bit more relaxing I guess? I'm hoping to study one of the sciences at Uni.
Original post by kesha19
I find both quite interesting but I'm going to drop it after a year as it's my 4th choice. All my other choices are academic and science-related, so I'm choosing either psychology or sociology as they're both essay subjects and a bit more relaxing I guess? I'm hoping to study one of the sciences at Uni.

I would suggest Psychology then, as it's a bit more relevant than Sociology if you're hoping to study one of the sciences at uni :smile:
Reply 4
what are the other subjects you are planning to do? what are your plans for higher studies?Because subject combinations +future goals depends on this kinda decision.At last you should also think about the subject which you will enjoy doing and you are good at doing at .I hope you consider the points stated above before you take a decision.Good luck with your studies~xx:h:
I would suggest Psychology then, as it's a bit more relevant than Sociology if you're hoping to study one of the sciences at uni :smile:

Thank you! Is psychology harder than sociology or are they both at similar difficulty levels?
Original post by kesha19
Thank you! Is psychology harder than sociology or are they both at similar difficulty levels?

I'm afraid I can't really tell you about the subjects themselves as I didn't do either of them, I just try to give general advice when it comes to A Levels I didn't do. Have you had a look at the specifications for each of them, i.e. the course content, methods of assessment etc? That may give you an indication of how difficult you might find them :smile:
Original post by Baniazz
what are the other subjects you are planning to do? what are your plans for higher studies?Because subject combinations +future goals depends on this kinda decision.At last you should also think about the subject which you will enjoy doing and you are good at doing at .I hope you consider the points stated above before you take a decision.Good luck with your studies~xx:h:

I'm planning to study Physics, Maths and Chemistry for A levels along with either Sociology or Psychology. I'm not sure which one I'd enjoy more or be better at because we didn't have these choices at GCSEs. Which one is more interesting to study?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I have no idea about sociology but i do psychology its pretty intresting.And all you have to do in psychology is mostly byhearting +studying theory stuff
I'm afraid I can't really tell you about the subjects themselves as I didn't do either of them, I just try to give general advice when it comes to A Levels I didn't do. Have you had a look at the specifications for each of them, i.e. the course content, methods of assessment etc? That may give you an indication of how difficult you might find them :smile:

That seems like a good idea, I'll go over the specs for both suubjects and maybe that would give an indication of what's more difficult or more interesting? Thank you so much for your help!:h:
Original post by kesha19
That seems like a good idea, I'll go over the specs for both suubjects and maybe that would give an indication of what's more difficult or more interesting? Thank you so much for your help!:h:

No problem! Good luck with your decision :h:
I took both for AS and plan on dropping Sociology for A level.
Psychology has more scientific content (naturally) and as someone also planning to take a science to uni, I find it is more helpful both in applying and in the content of the course.
Sociology I find a very relaxing lesson to be honest. It's, in my opinion, easier but there is a lot of content and not much of each unit actually comes up in the exam (AQA) so you learn all of it when some bits may not be asked about.
As you can probably guess I prefer Psychology, but opinions aside it is likely to be looked onto better than Sociology by unis and has more useful skills (stats and reasearch methods) than Sociology and both have essays.
Either would be a good mix with the sciences though, so take which one you think you'll enjoy more.
Original post by Baniazz
I have no idea about sociology but i do psychology its pretty intresting.And all you have to do in psychology is mostly byhearting +studying theory stuff

So do you have to memorise all the content? Isn't that a bit tedious?
Psychology :yep:
I'm currently doing both Psychology and Sociology at A2 level. I enjoy both of them but personally I prefer Psychology as I find it more interesting. I've applied to study it at uni :smile: Psychology also seems to fit in better with your other subjects, although I do know someone who did Maths, Chemistry and Sociology at A2.

In Psychology, there are more short answer questions than in Sociology, so that may be an advantage. I do AQA for both subjects and at AS Level, the Psychology long essay questions were worth 12 marks, whereas with Sociology they were worth 20 marks. I hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
like not almost all.there are important theories and stuff.Its your choice are you good at cramming and theory stuff +your expected to write long answers in which they check your creativity.Psychology is a really good subject but its upto you to chose whats right!.:smile:
Reply 16
I studied both Sociology and Psychology at A Level, both were equally as hard but I found Psychology to be a bit harder (personally not a science person). And both are interesting, Sociology has A LOT more content though! :smile:
Original post by kesha19

I would go Psychology, i'd rather go about the mind of people than society and the behaviour of ppl

Also if you gonna do psychology don't become a Freud mk 2
Original post by will'o'wisp
I would go Psychology, i'd rather go about the mind of people than society and the behaviour of ppl

Also if you gonna do psychology don't become a Freud mk 2

Thanks, I'm probably going to pick psychology, it just seems daunting cause apparently there's so many theories to remember.
Original post by Charley.T
I took both for AS and plan on dropping Sociology for A level.
Psychology has more scientific content (naturally) and as someone also planning to take a science to uni, I find it is more helpful both in applying and in the content of the course.
Sociology I find a very relaxing lesson to be honest. It's, in my opinion, easier but there is a lot of content and not much of each unit actually comes up in the exam (AQA) so you learn all of it when some bits may not be asked about.
As you can probably guess I prefer Psychology, but opinions aside it is likely to be looked onto better than Sociology by unis and has more useful skills (stats and reasearch methods) than Sociology and both have essays.
Either would be a good mix with the sciences though, so take which one you think you'll enjoy more.

Well I'm aiming to apply to one of the Russel Group Universities and if they look onto Psychology better then I think I'll choose that, thank you for your help!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest