The Student Room Group

What can I do to improve chances of getting into a good uni?

I'm in year 12 and I'm hoping to study something like Maths or Physics at a good uni, possibly Cambridge. What can I do now to make sure I'm ready when I do apply to universities in year 13?

I'm in the process of applying for a Nuffield Research placement, but I was wondering if it'd make more sense spending those three weeks doing three separate placements or courses from other unis or organisations?

I found this website, for example http://in2scienceuk.org/students/
And a work experience placement from Imperial: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/administration/outreach/eventssummary/event_4-12-2015-13-31-11

So are there any other placements or courses you would recommend or anything else I can do to prepare myself for next year?
Original post by Roses147
I'm in year 12 and I'm hoping to study something like Maths or Physics at a good uni, possibly Cambridge. What can I do now to make sure I'm ready when I do apply to universities in year 13?

I'm in the process of applying for a Nuffield Research placement, but I was wondering if it'd make more sense spending those three weeks doing three separate placements or courses from other unis or organisations?

I found this website, for example http://in2scienceuk.org/students/
And a work experience placement from Imperial: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/administration/outreach/eventssummary/event_4-12-2015-13-31-11

So are there any other placements or courses you would recommend or anything else I can do to prepare myself for next year?

Hiya,

Here are a few things that I did last year which you might find enjoyable:

EDT- Headstart courses for science, maths and engineering.

University taster lectures/masterclasses (Cambridge do them) or talks for the general public e.g. Royal Society of Physics.

Sutton trust summer schools/ Uniq summer schools at Oxford (free)

Future learn online courses run by universities.

Even if you just do a couple of things and can talk about them in your personal statement it will be really useful. :smile:
You could do an EPQ! If your college offers one. It gives you a chance to write a project based on an area you find interesting and gives you something to talk about in your PS/interview. Some Russell Group Universities also give reduced offers to those who get an A* at EPQ.
Reply 3
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

Here are a few things that I did last year which you might find enjoyable:

EDT- Headstart courses for science, maths and engineering.

University taster lectures/masterclasses (Cambridge do them) or talks for the general public e.g. Royal Society of Physics.

Sutton trust summer schools/ Uniq summer schools at Oxford (free)

Future learn online courses run by universities.

Even if you just do a couple of things and can talk about them in your personal statement it will be really useful. :smile:

Hi, thank you for replying!

With the EDT Headstart courses, do you have to pay for the residential yourself or is everything provided for you?

Also, do you have any tips when applying for the Uniq summer schools or other similar things?
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn
You could do an EPQ! If your college offers one. It gives you a chance to write a project based on an area you find interesting and gives you something to talk about in your PS/interview. Some Russell Group Universities also give reduced offers to those who get an A* at EPQ.

Unfortunately my college doesn't offer one, but thank you for the suggestion!
Original post by Roses147
Hi, thank you for replying!

With the EDT Headstart courses, do you have to pay for the residential yourself or is everything provided for you?

Also, do you have any tips when applying for the Uniq summer schools or other similar things?

Hiya,

Unfortunately you have to pay for Headstart courses and they're really good but quite expensive (£300- £400 😓).

For Uniq, as part of your application you have to submit a personal statement as well as your academic data. Some of it is down to a bit of luck but most of it is trying to show passion for the subject and academic credibility through examples of things you've done and the skills that you've gained from doing these things. A simpler version of a university personal statement- it may help you to look at some examples. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest