The Student Room Group

Are my a level choices okay?!

hi guys!!
i'm considering studying law at uni's like ucl, kings college london, lse, durham or cambridge in the future.
just wanted to check what people thought of these a level choices?
ENGLISH LITERATURE
RELIGIOUS STUDIES
GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS
I am aware that this list only consists of one facilitating subject and I'm worried that could hold me back but at the same time, I don't think it matters as my subject choices are relevant to Law and include essay writing.
Has anyone studied this combination or a similar comination of a level options and gained entry to Uni's such as the ones I listed above ?!
Also, does anyone think I would be in a better position to replace Gov and Pol with Classic Civillisations?
On Cambridge's website, they have Gov and Pol as a subject in limited suitability but Classic Civillisations in generally suitable a level choices.
PLEASE HELP!! i'm worrying loads haha
Original post by childishgambin0
hi guys!!
i'm considering studying law at uni's like ucl, kings college london, lse, durham or cambridge in the future.
ENGLISH LITERATURE
RELIGIOUS STUDIES
GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS
I am aware that this list only consists of one facilitating subject and I'm worried that could hold me back but at the same time, I don't think it matters as my subject choices are relevant to Law and include essay writing.
Has anyone studied this combination or a similar comination of a level options and gained entry to Uni's such as the ones I listed above ?!
Also, does anyone think I would be in a better position to replace Gov and Pol with Classic Civillisations?
On Cambridge's website, they have Gov and Pol as a subject in limited suitability but Classic Civillisations in generally suitable a level choices.

I know a lot of Law courses like History but I know a guy in my year who did Sociology, Law and English Language A levels and still got invited to interview for Cambridge. For a university like Cambridge, so many more factors are taken into consideration than just which A levels you've chosen. I'd recommend maybe going to Open Days or emailing admissions and ask what they think.
Original post by FrenchNerd2
I know a lot of Law courses like History but I know a guy in my year who did Sociology, Law and English Language A levels and still got invited to interview for Cambridge. For a university like Cambridge, so many more factors are taken into consideration than just which A levels you've chosen. I'd recommend maybe going to Open Days or emailing admissions and ask what they think.

dammn, think i shot myself in the foot by not taking history at gcse level. thank you so much though, i'll send some emails and hope for the best!

Better yet, here's what Trinity College have to say (though advice may differ between colleges)
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/
BUMP
hi guys!!
ENGLISH LITERATURE
RELIGIOUS STUDIES
GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS
dammn, think i shot myself in the foot by not taking history at gcse level. thank you so much though, i'll send some emails and hope for the best!

You can do History Alevel without doing it at GCSE level. As long as you don't mind writing essays and are interested in learning about History, then you will be completely fine. You will not have missed any work from GCSE to A Level as you most probably cover a complete different area of History than what was taught during Year 10/11. The only transferable skills from GCSE to A Level I can think of are timed essay writing and the ability to learn facts/dates, but you get that from GCSE English Literature, Science, etc which you have done anyway.

Good Luck!
Original post by happycatty
You can do History Alevel without doing it at GCSE level. As long as you don't mind writing essays and are interested in learning about History, then you will be completely fine. You will not have missed any work from GCSE to A Level as you most probably cover a complete different area of History than what was taught during Year 10/11. The only transferable skills from GCSE to A Level I can think of are timed essay writing and the ability to learn facts/dates, but you get that from GCSE English Literature, Science, etc which you have done anyway.

Good Luck!

That's true - like a lot of colleges near to where I live don't expect you to have a GCSE in History to do it at A level. But bear in mind some colleges do expect this if you do want to do so so make sure to ask when you go to sixth form open days
Original post by happycatty

Good Luck!

thank u for the help !! however a lot of sixth forms that I'm considering or even my own school still expect a history GCSE qualification in order to progress to AS/A2 :frown: this is why I need to find out whether english lit/rs/politics can get me into the best unis or whether i need classic civillisations as a replacement to history ...
I could also try taking philosophy as opposed to RS if it looks better but i guess RS consists of philosophy and ethics so ??
That's true - like a lot of colleges near to where I live don't expect you to have a GCSE in History to do it at A level. But bear in mind some colleges do expect this if you do want to do so so make sure to ask when you go to sixth form open days

yeah this is basically the issue like all open days I've been too, or even my own school, require history at GCSE :frown:
thank u for the help !! however a lot of sixth forms that I'm considering or even my own school still expect a history GCSE qualification in order to progress to AS/A2 :frown: this is why I need to find out whether english lit/rs/politics can get me into the best unis or whether i need classic civillisations as a replacement to history ...
I could also try taking philosophy as opposed to RS if it looks better but i guess RS consists of philosophy and ethics so ??

Most RS courses at A level from what I've looked at pre-A level decisions are Philosophy and Ethics with a tiny bit about religion - personally I'd say if Philosophy and Ethics is more respected by your choice unis than RS then take P&E. I'd say if you'd prefer doing History to Classics then I'd speak to heads of departments and see if they'd let you do it if you get a decent grade in English. At my college for French they expect you to get a B but they've let a girl in who got a C after an interview so it's always worth the ask - the worst that can happen is that they say no and you rethink your options.
Most RS courses at A level from what I've looked at pre-A level decisions are Philosophy and Ethics with a tiny bit about religion - personally I'd say if Philosophy and Ethics is more respected by your choice unis than RS then take P&E. I'd say if you'd prefer doing History to Classics then I'd speak to heads of departments and see if they'd let you do it if you get a decent grade in English. At my college for French they expect you to get a B but they've let a girl in who got a C after an interview so it's always worth the ask - the worst that can happen is that they say no and you rethink your options.

It's so difficult because I don't know how much of importance facilitating subjects hold to the top universities. But I'll think about it.
I'm certain I'd prefer classics to history but i'm worried its not as respected:frown:(
It's so difficult because I don't know how much of importance facilitating subjects hold to the top universities. But I'll think about it.
I'm certain I'd prefer classics to history but i'm worried its not as respected:frown:(

The Russel groups prefer you to have at least two (though some subjects they only let you do as a 4th subject) - and Classical Civilisation is considered as a facilitating subject if that helps (as is Religious Studies/Philosophy & Ethics). However, if you can justify your A level choice on your personal statement they will still consider you no matter what subjects you do. But if you did English Literature, RS and Classics you'd be sorted.
The Russel groups prefer you to have at least two (though some subjects they only let you do as a 4th subject) - and Classical Civilisation is considered as a facilitating subject if that helps (as is Religious Studies/Philosophy & Ethics). However, if you can justify your A level choice on your personal statement they will still consider you no matter what subjects you do. But if you did English Literature, RS and Classics you'd be sorted.

woah since when was it a faciliating subject? I totally missed that
woah since when was it a faciliating subject? I totally missed that

and I had no idea rs/p&e was facilitating either? read that it wasn't :frown:
and I had no idea rs/p&e was facilitating either? read that it wasn't :frown:

I'm going by the Trinity College Cambridge website - other sources may differ. I guess it's because of the transferable skills you'll gain from it, like debate (which is invaluable for Law)
I'm going by the Trinity College Cambridge website - other sources may differ. I guess it's because of the transferable skills you'll gain from it, like debate (which is invaluable for Law)

going by the cambridge site, my choices should be okay! i'm just worried about the general russell group facilitating subjects and how important they are for unis like durham or the london ones I mentioned
going by the cambridge site, my choices should be okay! i'm just worried about the general russell group facilitating subjects and how important they are for unis like durham or the london ones I mentioned

Usually if it's good enough for Cambridge, it's good enough everywhere - but try checking other websites/emailing the admissions services to see what they say
Usually if it's good enough for Cambridge, it's good enough everywhere - but try checking other websites/emailing the admissions services to see what they say

yeah I'll send emails and see what I get in response ! thanks for the hellppp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending