The Student Room Group

4-5 Months Enough to revise??

I am doing 10 GCSE's and I worried I might not have enough time. I want majority of my grades to be A- A*.... is it achievable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mepanda
I am doing 10 GCSE's and I worried I might not have enough time. I want majority of my grades to be A- A*.... is it achievable?

I'm also worried about the time we have left but we can do it. :biggrin:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4261768&p=69011642&page=92#post69011642
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4261768&p=69011642&page=92#post69011642

I'm worried about english the most since we have to learn all the quotes! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Mepanda

I did 11 GCSEs last year and I was really happy with my grades, I started proper revision in Easter !! What I would say is don't start so early that by the time it gets to the exam you've forgotten it or feel too overwhelmed, but also don't leave it so late that you can't learn it all .Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Mepanda
I'm worried about english the most since we have to learn all the quotes! :frown:

Same, if you click on that link to the Year 11 thread, there's a handful moaning about those new specifications.
Reply 5
Original post by skye99
I did 11 GCSEs last year and I was really happy with my grades, I started proper revision in Easter !! What I would say is don't start so early that by the time it gets to the exam you've forgotten it or feel too overwhelmed, but also don't leave it so late that you can't learn it all .Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for your response, I hope I end up doing well as well :smile:
Reply 6
Plenty of time. But don't slack, start a little now so you end up having a stress free revision and easter.
Original post by Mepanda

Of course it's achievable. I did 11, started revising properly in March. I came out with 5A*, 4As and a B. Its not about how much revision you do, it's about how effective your revision is. In hindsight, I would have started revising early for science/maths. Science has a lot of content and does require a lot more time. But everything else will be fine, just don't panic and don't overwork yourself.
Reply 8
Same, if you click on that link to the Year 11 thread, there's a handful moaning about those new specifications.

I will have a look :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by rosie.mn
Of course it's achievable. I did 11, started revising properly in March. I came out with 5A*, 4As and a B. Its not about how much revision you do, it's about how effective your revision is. In hindsight, I would have started revising early for science/maths. Science has a lot of content and does require a lot more time. But everything else will be fine, just don't panic and don't overwork yourself.

Thank you, I am worried about not meeting my expectations since my mocks were not the best :frown:
Original post by Mepanda
Thank you, I am worried about not meeting my expectations since my mocks were not the best :frown:

The most important thing isn't revising a tonne but looking at your mocks and deciding where you went wrong and revising weak areas a bit more and practising exam technique. By the way, I'm an AS English literature student (I also had closed book exams for GCSE) so I've been remembering quotes for a while now. The main thing is just to remember 5 quotes from each main character and a few quotes for each theme. It's not about how many quotes it's about how well you can analyse them. By the time you get to the exam you'll have soaked up the majority of quotes just by studying the texts.
Reply 11
Original post by rosie.mn
The most important thing isn't revising a tonne but looking at your mocks and deciding where you went wrong and revising weak areas a bit more and practising exam technique. By the way, I'm an AS English literature student (I also had closed book exams for GCSE) so I've been remembering quotes for a while now. The main thing is just to remember 5 quotes from each main character and a few quotes for each theme. It's not about how many quotes it's about how well you can analyse them. By the time you get to the exam you'll have soaked up the majority of quotes just by studying the texts.

Thanks for the tips :smile:. Also what exactly do you mean proper revision :P for instance what did you do before that
Reply 12
Original post by Mepanda

More than enough :smile:

When I was revising for my GCSEs I used to be like ''Oh my gosh there's only *insert number here* months left'' but once you actually start working you realise how much you can get done and time suddenly isn't a big stress anymore :smile:

Good luck with your exams! They'll be over before you know it.
Original post by Mepanda
Thanks for the tips :smile:. Also what exactly do you mean proper revision :P for instance what did you do before that

To revise weak areas and focus on important things. Don't revise anything because you like it! Revise what you find hard.
Original post by Mepanda

ffs enough of these threads already...

Yes if you start revising and stop asking stupid. Even if its a no still try your best ffs.
Reply 15
Literally crammed everything into a few weeks and got all C's and above.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I went from Bs and Cs and an E in history.
Crammed in 2 weeks and came out with 10As 1A* and a B . (B in french)
Got an A* in History unit 1. In Which i got a E in the mocks in February.
That method does not work at AS or A2 however..
Which i learnt after AS.
Not doing that again!
Original post by Mepanda

If you're doing GCSE, I made some flashcards for some subjects which may be of use to you - I've linked them all in this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122 on my most recent post :smile:
I think it is, providing you manage your time well.
Work hard from now and just start with your weaker areas. And so many past papers don't forget

Quick Reply

Latest