The Student Room Group

Do you think people have really high standards when it comes to finding a partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CleverSquirrel
Like, most people these days expect to find a guy/girl of their dreams and so have certain expectations from them?
and so have such high standards, but are completely oblivious to those around them?

like the person of their dreams could be stood right in front of them but because of their expectations and high standards- they neglect them and look for a hot/good looking number 10 or something? they dont look at compatibitly :rolleyes:

i think if people opened their eyes and dont have very high standards, and just followed their heart then maybe they wont complain about being lonely and not finding anyone?

What do you think? :hmmm:

Spoiler

I would say my standards are realistic since I've met several people who fit them, unfortunately I couldn't date them because i'm a broke mother****er
aw thats true i guess- its pretty much like trial and error :lol:

do you think so?

i guess you're right, as you get older you start looking at compatibility too, so you're saying that with experiance and maturity, standards arn't really a thing?

why is it that people in the younger gen have high standards?

What I meant with people will readily drop there standards is that, any precisely defined, measurable, standards can be broken.

For example, if you want someone who goes to university and is over 6 feet tall. That might be someone's ideal partner but most people would readily drop those requirements if the right person came along.

I would never attempt to express my standards because I think it is impossible. I can say which traits I find desirable or undesirable but for almost any negative can be outweighed by other features.

Standards are a totally abstract idea. They can't be measured in the real word so it is difficult to say anything about them. I just imagine it as if everybody can be placed on a scale of desirability and your standards are how far down the scale you are willing to accept.

I don't think they go down with age necessarily. I just think people have a more a more realistic idea of the type of partner that would go for them. You have a better idea of what you're good and bad points are as you get older and you have more experience of dating. You know from experience the types of people who will go for you and where you rank on the desirability spectrum.

I said that over confident people are brought back down to reality a bit with age but I also think it can go the other way.

You can get people who lack confidence in their younger years and are willing to go for anyone who shows them a bit of attention. Its possible for them to grown in confidence as they get older. They realise that they are more attractive than they previously thought. May be they have had a few bad relationships by dating the wrong people and they have learnt that they don't have to put up with those partners.

Younger people have time to over estimate the standard of partner they can command they will learn from experience where they stand on the spectrum. Once the body clock starts ticking though, its time to start settling for whatever is on offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just want a big butt :sad:
Both :yep:

look at tinder for example- you judge someone on how they look and see if they fit you're requirements? who cares if they have a crappy personality?

I used tinder for a week and rejected so many people it ran out of girls within a 100-ish mile radius. It's not a good tool for finding people, really.
It's definitely somewhat true but its hard to say how deserved it is or whether its a recent thing.

Between 2007-2011 i was in great condition and met tonnes of women online however as i piled on the pounds (hit 6'4 and instead of growing up, i grew out) the women dried up a lot. Once i restore my former glory i'll be able to tell you all whether it's just certain features i.e. they like skinny men or whether the internet and hordes of desperate men have created monsters with Disney syndrome.
Yeah, reasons why we're all single lmao
It's cupcakes87 :rofl:

And idk, I had high standards and met someone who ticked every box so I'm happy :biggrin:
Reply 48
hmmm i see what you mean- i guess you're right to an extent, expectation wise however i dont think people change imo

ahh i see, well there has to be a certain degree of physical attraction i think? like there has to be something about them that makes you think 'aw he/she is cute' ect....after that its the personality that makes them more attarctive :yep:

I don't know girls irl who think like that tbh, nice to know there are girls who do though :

Insecurities lifted
Most women have pretty low standards, so long as you're not hideous and you're reasonably outgoing it's easy to get girls.
Like, most people these days expect to find a guy/girl of their dreams and so have certain expectations from them?
and so have such high standards, but are completely oblivious to those around them?

like the person of their dreams could be stood right in front of them but because of their expectations and high standards- they neglect them and look for a hot/good looking number 10 or something? they dont look at compatibitly :rolleyes:

i think if people opened their eyes and dont have very high standards, and just followed their heart then maybe they wont complain about being lonely and not finding anyone?

What do you think? :hmmm:

Spoiler

absolutely. The amount of people I have heard saying how they cant find someone right for them, while simultaneously sabotaging relationships because it isnt the fairytale they want it to be.

As others have said, tv and movies are a bloody bane for that. It convinces people that they must have a homogenous experience compared to all other people when it should be personally special!
I've observed that female standards seem to be pretty crazy these days.

Men actually have more reasonable standards. All of that 'men only want models with big tits' stuff is complete BS.
Original post by Sternumator
What I meant with people will readily drop there standards is that, any precisely defined, measurable, standards can be broken.

For example, if you want someone who goes to university and is over 6 feet tall. That might be someone's ideal partner but most people would readily drop those requirements if the right person came along.

I would never attempt to express my standards because I think it is impossible. I can say which traits I find desirable or undesirable but for almost any negative can be outweighed by other features.

Standards are a totally abstract idea. They can't be measured in the real word so it is difficult to say anything about them. I just imagine it as if everybody can be placed on a scale of desirability and your standards are how far down the scale you are willing to accept.

I don't think they go down with age necessarily. I just think people have a more a more realistic idea of the type of partner that would go for them. You have a better idea of what you're good and bad points are as you get older and you have more experience of dating. You know from experience the types of people who will go for you and where you rank on the desirability spectrum.

I said that over confident people are brought back down to reality a bit with age but I also think it can go the other way.

You can get people who lack confidence in their younger years and are willing to go for anyone who shows them a bit of attention. Its possible for them to grown in confidence as they get older. They realise that they are more attractive than they previously thought. May be they have had a few bad relationships by dating the wrong people and they have learnt that they don't have to put up with those partners.

Younger people have time to over estimate the standard of partner they can command they will learn from experience where they stand on the spectrum. Once the body clock starts ticking though, its time to start settling for whatever is on offer.

ahh okay i see what you mean,i guess it just depends on the person and how they think tbh. Being realsitic is what people have to be reminded of? that they can't necessarily get what they want in terms of an ideal partner..

but i get what you're saying and agree with you too :yep
:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I used tinder for a week and rejected so many people it ran out of girls within a 100-ish mile radius. It's not a good tool for finding people, really.

oh dear!! i dont think i'll ever get tinder- i honestly dont see the point :rofl:

Original post by Rakas21
It's definitely somewhat true but its hard to say how deserved it is or whether its a recent thing.

Between 2007-2011 i was in great condition and met tonnes of women online however as i piled on the pounds (hit 6'4 and instead of growing up, i grew out) the women dried up a lot. Once i restore my former glory i'll be able to tell you all whether it's just certain features i.e. they like skinny men or whether the internet and hordes of desperate men have created monsters with Disney syndrome.

hmm i see, i guess over time the thinking and likes and dislikes change, however your last point made me laugh :lol:

Original post by cupcakes87
It's cupcakes87 :rofl:

And idk, I had high standards and met someone who ticked every box so I'm happy :biggrin:

hehehe ooops :giggle:
oohh lucky you gal :biggrin:

Original post by SonoLuma
absolutely. The amount of people I have heard saying how they cant find someone right for them, while simultaneously sabotaging relationships because it isnt the fairytale they want it to be.

As others have said, tv and movies are a bloody bane for that. It convinces people that they must have a homogenous experience compared to all other people when it should be personally special!

see? its true! ive seen this happen and it annoys me too!

Original post by stefano865
I've observed that female standards seem to be pretty crazy these days.

Men actually have more reasonable standards. All of that 'men only want models with big tits' stuff is complete BS.

Being a fellow female, i agree. some of my friends have crazily high standards and it irritates me- what happened to wanting the simplier things in life?

do you think so?
Original post by l'etranger
Most women have pretty low standards, so long as you're not hideous and you're reasonably outgoing it's easy to get girls.

Most? where did you get that from lmao
Original post by Kravence
Most? where did you get that from lmao

Because it's true, literally just talk to a few. There are jobless, PS4 playing roadmen with decent girls FFS and we have a generation of nice middle class men who don't think they can compete.
Because it's true, literally just talk to a few. There are jobless, PS4 playing roadmen with decent girls FFS and we have a generation of nice middle class men who don't think they can compete.

Fair point, I wasn't considering them since those girls usually have nothing going for them which is why they're with wastes of space lol
Fair point, I wasn't considering them since those girls usually have nothing going for them which is why they're with wastes of space lol

Apart from being hot and good in bed.
Apart from being hot and good in bed.

I guess that's something if you're after a short term relationship

looks and long term don't go together
I guess that's something if you're after a short term relationship

looks and long term don't go together

Of course they do and even if they don't it's not a real issue, I'll only get married when I'm 30.
I know what I want and if I can't have what I want then I'll just stay single

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending