The Student Room Group

Unsure what to do after uni

RIP
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tomtjl
Hey guys,

So this May I will be finishing university with an MSci (integrated Master's) and I have literally no idea what to do afterwards. I'll be graduating in Neuroscience and I don't really think I want to continue in the field as you need a PhD to work in anyway in neuroscience and, from my experience working in the lab, doing a PhD sounds absolutely terrible and depressing :biggrin:.

So now I have no idea what to do. Further education is pretty much off the table (couldn't afford to do a Master's or post-grad Medicine) which leaves the only real option of getting a job. My issue here is that I've no idea what to do! I should (hopefully) be graduating with a first, so the options are very wide open (loads of grad schemes don't require specific degrees, plus I'll have a Master's).

Another issue is that I've studied in London for the past 4 years, but my home town is in Greater Manchester, so I also have to decide where I want to live. I don't really feel like I fit into either of the 2 places where I've lived, I like coming home but only because all of my friends from pre-uni are here, if I lived here permanently then they wouldn't be here. On the other hand, I never really fit in to London due to my very, very Northern demeanor :tongue:.

I don't really think anybody is going to solve these issues, but looking for general advice or for someone to think about it from a different angle and notice something I've missed.

Thanks!

I will try this one in the job section.
Original post by tomtjl
Hey guys,

So this May I will be finishing university with an MSci (integrated Master's) and I have literally no idea what to do afterwards. I'll be graduating in Neuroscience and I don't really think I want to continue in the field as you need a PhD to work in anyway in neuroscience and, from my experience working in the lab, doing a PhD sounds absolutely terrible and depressing :biggrin:.

So now I have no idea what to do. Further education is pretty much off the table (couldn't afford to do a Master's or post-grad Medicine) which leaves the only real option of getting a job. My issue here is that I've no idea what to do! I should (hopefully) be graduating with a first, so the options are very wide open (loads of grad schemes don't require specific degrees, plus I'll have a Master's).

Another issue is that I've studied in London for the past 4 years, but my home town is in Greater Manchester, so I also have to decide where I want to live. I don't really feel like I fit into either of the 2 places where I've lived, I like coming home but only because all of my friends from pre-uni are here, if I lived here permanently then they wouldn't be here. On the other hand, I never really fit in to London due to my very, very Northern demeanor :tongue:.

I don't really think anybody is going to solve these issues, but looking for general advice or for someone to think about it from a different angle and notice something I've missed.

Thanks!

Hi!

I'm in a similar position to you, graduating this summer with a BA in Chemistry but not really keen to go down the Chemistry Masters then PhD route that's required for any interesting jobs in Chemistry :'(

Have you done any internships? If so, think about what you enjoyed (or didn't) in these - might give you an idea of what kind of jobs to look at :smile: Also think about any volunteering or societies you are involved in at uni and see if there's anything there that could link to a career path.

Personally I wouldn't worry at all about the location side of things - your first job is more about the training/ personal development opportunities and indeed you'll get a lot more value for money outside of large cities (particularly London, you'll be lucky to have any money left over after rent...).

You say further education is off the table partly because of costs - have you considered going abroad? I'm hoping to go back to China next year (did a year abroad there) for my masters, there are loads of scholarships available, masters programs in English, and the government will practically pay you to go there... If that's a bit too far away, there are also loads of free/ very cheap masters programs across Europe :smile: Mind you, it's only really worth doing another masters if it's going to help you move into a particular job/ career sector - e.g. if you do one in something like Marketing or the like... So you're still left with the first problem of figuring out which career you'd be interested in :/
Bear in mind that a lot of graduate jobs are looking for previous work experience rather than particular degree grades - so if you haven't done any internships before it might be a good idea to take a bit of a gap year getting some internships/ work experience under your belt and trying out a few different possible careers to help you figure out what you'd enjoy :smile:
Hi,

If you'd like to chat about these things in greater depth, I'm a trainee career coach and I'd love to be able to assist.

Let me know if you're interested :smile:

Scott
Hey,

Have you checked out the job vacancies on Milkround? You can filter your job search by location, so you could add London and Manchester and see if jobs come up in either of these areas! You can also filter by job type and job sector, so you won't have to scroll through a lot of irrelevant roles to you. You can see them all here:

http://www.milkround.com/jobs/

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending