The Student Room Group

Struggling with Year 13 :(

Hi all,

Is anyone else feeling the stress of sixth form?

I'm in year 13 and I have no idea what I want to do tbh after sixth form. I'm struggling with some health problems, but I'm just feeling as if sixth form is making me feel depressed. Am I the only one?

I study art based subjects, and i've gone from doing lots of work to nothing, I'm struggling concentrating and having the motivation and I just feel like giving up, I know there's not too long left but I just feel as if my work is not good enough. My self esteem is really low, I don't have friends to talk to either tbh.

My teachers are aware that I'm down and stressed, and sometimes I just like to not talk to anyone because I'm just feeling like crap so I just sit there. I don't know what to do anymore.

x
Im an a2 student as well but studying maths, chemistry and biology

Don't give up. I know you've probably heard this a million and one times that its turned into a cliché. What I say is its not impossible its im possible. Im known to my mates to have silly analogies that help to motivate people so hopefully I can motivate you. The analogy is that you've nearly finished the race, youre first and you've got the last 100m to go and youre competing in 10000m race and my question to you would be, do you want to drop out at this moment by saying you cant do it or are you going to go for it? Im sure that the answer is youre not going to give up.

In studying context, look at the grades that you've got. They may be amazing, crap or ok but I want you to look at the progression, have you ever improved - of course you have even if it is just the once.

Give it your best shot and good luck :smile:
Original post by student0111
Hi all,

Is anyone else feeling the stress of sixth form?

I'm in year 13 and I have no idea what I want to do tbh after sixth form. I'm struggling with some health problems, but I'm just feeling as if sixth form is making me feel depressed. Am I the only one?

I study art based subjects, and i've gone from doing lots of work to nothing, I'm struggling concentrating and having the motivation and I just feel like giving up, I know there's not too long left but I just feel as if my work is not good enough. My self esteem is really low, I don't have friends to talk to either tbh.

My teachers are aware that I'm down and stressed, and sometimes I just like to not talk to anyone because I'm just feeling like crap so I just sit there. I don't know what to do anymore.

x

I think a lot of arts students feel this at some point or another. It's hard, and everything gets a bit much. Something you could try to do is set yourself a target for the end of the week. Get an amount of work done, and reward yourself with something. I study graphics, English, IT, and an art epq, so I get what you mean about motivation. Setting goals is a really great thing to do, so I recommend you do that. If you need any arty advice etc feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks, that's why it's bothering me so much, i've gone from being so motivated and doing well, to just slowly feeling more and more down and isolated and drained. I just feel like nothing I ever do is good enough. I think it's just because so much has happened through sixthform, moving sixthforms, losing friends, and just being stressed.

Good luck with your subjects too :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I think a lot of arts students feel this at some point or another. It's hard, and everything gets a bit much. Something you could try to do is set yourself a target for the end of the week. Get an amount of work done, and reward yourself with something. I study graphics, English, IT, and an art epq, so I get what you mean about motivation. Setting goals is a really great thing to do, so I recommend you do that. If you need any arty advice etc feel free to PM me :smile:

Thank you so much. I'm such a perfectionist, I am though on myself a lot, I got a report few months back and got As, but for about 6 weeks I just can't put myself to do anything, which isn't like me at all. I just feel really down and like nothing I'm doing is going anywhere and comparing myself to everyone else. Think it's just other problems that get involved too like, what i'm doing after sixth form, ucas, teachers, people and my health and emotions.
Original post by student0111
Thank you so much. I'm such a perfectionist, I am though on myself a lot, I got a report few months back and got As, but for about 6 weeks I just can't put myself to do anything, which isn't like me at all. I just feel really down and like nothing I'm doing is going anywhere and comparing myself to everyone else. Think it's just other problems that get involved too like, what i'm doing after sixth form, ucas, teachers, people and my health and emotions.

Try not to compare yourself to other people. You've got to remember that there's nobody out there like you. Can you find someone to have a proper talk with? One of your subject teachers? They could point you in the right direction
Reply 6
Original post by CarysJSLewis
Try not to compare yourself to other people. You've got to remember that there's nobody out there like you. Can you find someone to have a proper talk with? One of your subject teachers? They could point you in the right direction

I'm pretty close with both my 2/3 of my teachers, and I've spoken to 1 in depth a few times before Christmas and they've helped so much. But I just feel like nothings improving and I don't want to keep bothering people. I;ve been like this for a while but it's only gotten worse from around Oct I'd say and Dec/Jan it's just at it's worst. They know I'm not feeling myself.

I just feel like everyone else is getting on with things, I don't understand why it's affecting me so much.
Do not give up, hang on... you are almost there... I'm also an A2 student and I'm basically doing physics, geography, chemistry and math and I can tell you things are not easy. Just work hard, minimize the time you waste, and sacrifice some of your sleep time as well.. my exams are in 2 days and believe you me, I haven't relaxed even a bit.. Study from different websites, the more knowledge you have, the better..Cheers:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mesuteyezil
Do not give up, hang on... you are almost there... I'm also an A2 student and I'm basically doing physics, geography, chemistry and math and I can tell you things are not easy. Just work hard, minimize the time you waste, and sacrifice some of your sleep time as well.. my exams are in 2 days and believe you me, I haven't relaxed even a bit.. Study from different websites, the more knowledge you have, the better..Cheers:smile:

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest