The Student Room Group

Transfering Unis in my Second Year but How Will This Affect My Course?

Hey, I understand the title is a bit confusing but my situation is confusing me a bit.

I'm currently in uni of Lincoln studying photography and film but I had a rough start to my second year and haven't done well in most of my coursework. After much discussion with my tutors I decided that it would be best if I transfer unis, as Lincoln isn't right for me.

I have almost finished my UCAS application and the unis I have applied to have stated they do take on second years if the course is similar enough, which it is.

However, here's where I'm confused. I cannot leave Lincoln, even if I want to, because if I do then I officially lose student finance and I can't pay for my current accommodation.

So I'm staying... But still doing poorly in my coursework because of personal issues. I hope to start and redo my second year again somewhere else, on a similar course (photography/film.) But how will this affect my actual course degree? Will this year count at all? Or because I'm planning to start a new uni with just my first year results will it be like it never happened?

I hope this makes sense. Basically I'm worried because I can't drop out and I'm behind on the work that this year will somehow affect my overall degree, even though I'm planning to redo my second year somewhere else...

Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by afoxcalledandrew
Hey, I understand the title is a bit confusing but my situation is confusing me a bit.

I'm currently in uni of Lincoln studying photography and film but I had a rough start to my second year and haven't done well in most of my coursework. After much discussion with my tutors I decided that it would be best if I transfer unis, as Lincoln isn't right for me.

I have almost finished my UCAS application and the unis I have applied to have stated they do take on second years if the course is similar enough, which it is.

However, here's where I'm confused. I cannot leave Lincoln, even if I want to, because if I do then I officially lose student finance and I can't pay for my current accommodation.

So I'm staying... But still doing poorly in my coursework because of personal issues. I hope to start and redo my second year again somewhere else, on a similar course (photography/film.) But how will this affect my actual course degree? Will this year count at all? Or because I'm planning to start a new uni with just my first year results will it be like it never happened?

I hope this makes sense. Basically I'm worried because I can't drop out and I'm behind on the work that this year will somehow affect my overall degree, even though I'm planning to redo my second year somewhere else...

Thank you in advance!

You would need to ask the unis you're applying to. They may not accept a transfer with a failed second year, even if they do usually accept transfers. If they do accept you then policies will vary as to how they deal with it
Original post by Juno
You would need to ask the unis you're applying to. They may not accept a transfer with a failed second year, even if they do usually accept transfers. If they do accept you then policies will vary as to how they deal with it

Thank you for replying! :smile:

Ah I see. I did want to drop out of Lincoln, but I simply can't because of the financial worry. I'm hoping they'll just look at my first year.. But thank you!
Original post by afoxcalledandrew
Thank you for replying! :smile:

Ah I see. I did want to drop out of Lincoln, but I simply can't because of the financial worry. I'm hoping they'll just look at my first year.. But thank you!

If your tutors are supportive of the move then they will have explained the situation in your reference.

Try to make the most of your time during the rest of the year. Learn what you can - starting in second year isn't easy so the more prepared you are the better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending