The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cosplayqueen
Was this a reply to my question? If so, did you apply for straight Classics of Class Civ?

Yeah it was! I applied for straight Classics - you?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Hi guys!! Languages applicant here!! Have any other language applicants had offers yet?! :smile:

Course: French and Arabic
Other unis applied to: Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh, Warrick
A level subjects: French, Maths, Philosophy (Drama to AS)
A level predictions: A*AA
GCSE / AS grades: GCSE: 7A*s, 3As. AS: AABC (retaking AS phil)
Other information: Still waiting on St Andrew's!! Have offers from Warrick (ABB) and Exeter (AAB). Also depending on my A2 grades (if I get what I'm predicted) I'll take a gap yah and reapply to Oxbridge wahoo.

I've got a modern languages offer. How did you get ABB from Warwick for two languages? Nice going.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kalahari99
Yeah it was! I applied for straight Classics - you?

Same! Are you a British student/EU/Scotland ect.?
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Hi guys!! Languages applicant here!! Have any other language applicants had offers yet?! :smile:

Course: French and Arabic
Other unis applied to: Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh, Warrick
A level subjects: French, Maths, Philosophy (Drama to AS)
A level predictions: A*AA
GCSE / AS grades: GCSE: 7A*s, 3As. AS: AABC (retaking AS phil)
Other information: Still waiting on St Andrew's!! Have offers from Warrick (ABB) and Exeter (AAB). Also depending on my A2 grades (if I get what I'm predicted) I'll take a gap yah and reapply to Oxbridge wahoo.

Heyy I'm applying for Arabic, Russian and French!!! Is St. Andrews your first choice?
Original post by cosplayqueen
Same! Are you a British student/EU/Scotland ect.?

I'm applying from the UK, so wasn't really expecting to hear until after the UCAS deadline! Where else have you applied?
Original post by Kalahari99
I'm applying from the UK, so wasn't really expecting to hear until after the UCAS deadline! Where else have you applied?

Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Royal Holloway (got an offer), New York !
Course: Economics and Spanish
A levels: maths economics and spanish; predicted AAA
Offers from: Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick and Exeter
Waiting fro St. Andrews since 18th october
home/EU fees applicant
Anyone for sustainable development?
Original post by qwertizi
Course: Economics and Spanish
A levels: maths economics and spanish; predicted AAA
Offers from: Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick and Exeter
Waiting fro St. Andrews since 18th october
home/EU fees applicant

Congrats for all your offers! What is your first choice? :smile:
Course: Economics and International Relations
Other unis applied to:
Oxford - PPE - Rejected (though happily so, too weak for that kinda stress:tongue:)
Exeter - Econ & Politics - A*AA Offer
KCL - Political Economy - AAA Offer
NCH - Economics with Politics & IR - Unconditional
Durham - Combined Hons., Econ, Politics & IR - waiting
A level subjects: Economics, History, Maths
A level predictions: A*A*A
AS's not carried forward: ICT - A (instead of a GCSE), Physics - B
Other information: St. Andrews is definitely my first choice (I made that fatal mistake in falling in love with a university) but I also really love NCH (and they just got a puppy 'available for walks and cuddles'!) so very happy with that offer :smile: Quite worried because my previous exam results are weaker than was expected. Oh well! All we can do is wait.

P.S I live in England but got classed as Home/EU (I think because my mum's Irish) - does anyone know if this affects chances of acceptance? I heard there was a quota of RUK:h:ome/EU:International so don't want to be worse off just for the sake of cheaper fees tbh
Original post by Sarahorr1_
Other unis applied to:
Oxford - PPE - Rejected (though happily so, too weak for that kinda stress:tongue:)
Other information: St. Andrews is definitely my first choice (I made that fatal mistake in falling in love with a university) but I also really love NCH (and they just got a puppy 'available for walks and cuddles'!) so very happy with that offer :smile: Quite worried because my previous exam results are weaker than was expected. Oh well! All we can do is wait.

P.S I live in England but got classed as Home/EU (I think because my mum's Irish) - does anyone know if this affects chances of acceptance? I heard there was a quota of RUK:h:ome/EU:International so don't want to be worse off just for the sake of cheaper fees tbh

To my knowledge the fee status does make a significant impact on the offer rates.

This is what is stated on Edinburgh's website concerning home/ EU students:

"The Scottish Government places strict limits on the number of ‘Scotland and EU’ students that Scottish universities can admit. This means that Scottish universities are limited in the number of offers they can make to Scotland and EU applicants."

I've examined the admission rates for my course (History of Art) which definitely shows a huge difference between fee status groups. For 2016 the offer rate for EU/home was around 20% while it was at about 70-80% for RUK and international. It does seem to vary a little from course to course though.

This paragraph on RUK and internationals also from the Edinburgh website explains the discrepancy.

"There are no Scottish Government limits placed on the number of ‘Rest of UK’ students (students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland), and ‘Overseas (non-EU)’ students that Scottish universities can admit. This means that Scottish universities can make as many offers to rest of UK and overseas (non-EU) applicants as they have available places for."

Hope I could be of help :smile: I'm EU/home so my prospects are looking quite grimm 😅
Original post by GermanIRhopeful
Congrats for all your offers! What is your first choice? :smile:

Thank you !! St. Andrews is my first choice if I get it but I have a feeling I will get rejected as its v competitive for home/EU paying students :frown: And warwick second choice AAB.

What about you?
Reply 472
Original post by Sarahorr1_
Other unis applied to:

You got classified as Home/EU for having an Irish mother wow?! My mother is also Irish but I didn't bother arguing that I'm 'accompanying' her in England as I've lived here my entire life. But I've been classed as Home/EU for having lived in the EU anyway so doesn't really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone else's Track Application down at the moment?
Original post by qwertizi
Thank you !! St. Andrews is my first choice if I get it but I have a feeling I will get rejected as its v competitive for home/EU paying students :frown: And warwick second choice AAB.

What about you?

I'm an EU applicant (Germany) so I known the feeling. I'm so nervous although I know that it'll probably take them until February/ March to reply ... St Andrews is definitely my first choice, I just fell in love with this (rather) small, traditional university and the idea of living there close to the sea.
Other unis I applied to are Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. I only chose Scottish unis because of the fees tbh. Applied for International Relations :smile: So far, I have no offers & the wait is killing me. All the unis wrote me that they will wait with offers/ rejections till after the UCAS deadline or even longer. So I'm just stressig out for no real reason lol
Original post by GermanIRhopeful
I'm an EU applicant (Germany) so I known the feeling. I'm so nervous although I know that it'll probably take them until February/ March to reply ... St Andrews is definitely my first choice, I just fell in love with this (rather) small, traditional university and the idea of living there close to the sea.
Other unis I applied to are Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. I only chose Scottish unis because of the fees tbh. Applied for International Relations :smile: So far, I have no offers & the wait is killing me. All the unis wrote me that they will wait with offers/ rejections till after the UCAS deadline or even longer. So I'm just stressig out for no real reason lol

Omg yes I know the stress... Im so scared I've been waiting all this time to get rejected, at least were all in it together. No fees is a huge advantage I mean not drowning in debt for most of your life would be nice :yep: I wanted to apply to edinburgh too but they dint do my course.
Original post by tmwilliams
To my knowledge the fee status does make a significant impact on the offer rates.

This is what is stated on Edinburgh's website concerning home/ EU students:

"The Scottish Government places strict limits on the number of ‘Scotland and EU’ students that Scottish universities can admit. This means that Scottish universities are limited in the number of offers they can make to Scotland and EU applicants."

I've examined the admission rates for my course (History of Art) which definitely shows a huge difference between fee status groups. For 2016 the offer rate for EU/home was around 20% while it was at about 70-80% for RUK and international. It does seem to vary a little from course to course though.

This paragraph on RUK and internationals also from the Edinburgh website explains the discrepancy.

"There are no Scottish Government limits placed on the number of ‘Rest of UK’ students (students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland), and ‘Overseas (non-EU)’ students that Scottish universities can admit. This means that Scottish universities can make as many offers to rest of UK and overseas (non-EU) applicants as they have available places for."

Hope I could be of help :smile: I'm EU/home so my prospects are looking quite grimm 😅

Hi - i am really interested in these figures - can you indicate where you got these sstatistics from?
I would be happy to pay fees if that gets me a place - can I opt to be RUK instead of Home/EU?
Thanks
Original post by goodadvice12
Hi - i am really interested in these figures - can you indicate where you got these sstatistics from?
I would be happy to pay fees if that gets me a place - can I opt to be RUK instead of Home/EU?
Thanks

This is the relevant link:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

You'll also find PDFs detailing the admission rates for specific courses. Bear in mind this is for the University of Edinburgh but I'd imagine that the situation isn't much different at St A's. I'm obviously no expert in these affairs so I can't really tell you if it'd be possible to change ones fee status. This would technically interest me as well since I'm also an EU/home student.
Personally I think it would be quite unlikely to 'opt' out of one's assigned fee status, since that would basically mean you could buy your way in...

But I emphasize again that this is just how I've understood it and anyone feel free to correct me 😅
Original post by tmwilliams
This is the relevant link:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

You'll also find PDFs detailing the admission rates for specific courses. Bear in mind this is for the University of Edinburgh but I'd imagine that the situation isn't much different at St A's. I'm obviously no expert in these affairs so I can't really tell you if it'd be possible to change ones fee status. This would technically interest me as well since I'm also an EU/home student.
Personally I think it would be quite unlikely to 'opt' out of one's assigned fee status, since that would basically mean you could buy your way in...

But I emphasize again that this is just how I've understood it and anyone feel free to correct me 😅

Actually I'm pretty sure St. Andrews' policy for every course is 1/3 European+Scottish students, 1/3 RUK, 1/3 internationals. I don't remember on which part of the site I read it though, I'll try and have a look
Original post by Dave1998
Actually I'm pretty sure St. Andrews' policy for every course is 1/3 European+Scottish students, 1/3 RUK, 1/3 internationals. I don't remember on which part of the site I read it though, I'll try and have a look

You have no idea how happy I would be if that's true 😁 Like I said, the information I found was just about Edinburgh 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending