The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

URGENT - gap year, applying to uni 2017

Hi, I went to uni this year but left after the first term and now I am on a gap year. I am applying to uni next year for Human biology at Birmingham but I want to know do I have to state on my personal statement or on the reference that I left university and now on gap year? Do I HAVE to state what I intend to do on my gap year because I am not even sure and I haven't even arranged anything because I just left university in December.
Please could anyone offer any suggestions to what I could do ASAP
Original post by Petal12345
Hi, I went to uni this year but left after the first term and now I am on a gap year. I am applying to uni next year for Human biology at Birmingham but I want to know do I have to state on my personal statement or on the reference that I left university and now on gap year? Do I HAVE to state what I intend to do on my gap year because I am not even sure and I haven't even arranged anything because I just left university in December.
Please could anyone offer any suggestions to what I could do ASAP

You need to list your attendance at your previous university in your EDUCATION section (and list any modules completed/passed as qualifications).

You don't need to mention it in your PS or reference but you might want to briefly address your reasons for leaving and why you're confident that your new choice of course/university will not result in those reasons recurring.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You need to list your attendance at your previous university in your EDUCATION section (and list any modules completed/passed as qualifications).

You don't need to mention it in your PS or reference but you might want to briefly address your reasons for leaving and why you're confident that your new choice of course/university will not result in those reasons recurring.

Hi, I was only there for a term at Warwick so from start of October to middle of November and only did one exam (multiple choice q's) so I did not really completer the full modules. So are you saying I have to state I stayed there for a month and a half?

Is it ok if the personal statement can express only my interest in Human Bio( which is what I want to study) whereas the reference can say that I left Warwick studying Biological science and now I am going to apply for Human Biology?
Hi, I was only there for a term at Warwick so from start of October to middle of November and only did one exam (multiple choice q's) so I did not really completer the full modules. So are you saying I have to state I stayed there for a month and a half?

Is it ok if the personal statement can express only my interest in Human Bio( which is what I want to study) whereas the reference can say that I left Warwick studying Biological science and now I am going to apply for Human Biology?

Yes you enter ALL places of education that you've attended after the age of 11 in the education section. Even if you only attended for a week it would need to be added.

If you didn't complete any modules then don't attach any qualifications to your attendance (UCAS will add an automated warning but that can be ignored if you attended without receiving any quals).

Your PS should be entirely about why you want to study the course you're applying for. Discussion of your previous study and reasons for leaving is best in your reference if your referee agrees to that (but neither need to explain that you're applying for human bio - that's obvious from the choices you add to your application).
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Yes you enter ALL places of education that you've attended after the age of 11 in the education section. Even if you only attended for a week it would need to be added.

If you didn't complete any modules then don't attach any qualifications to your attendance (UCAS will add an automated warning but that can be ignored if you attended without receiving any quals).

Your PS should be entirely about why you want to study the course you're applying for. Discussion of your previous study and reasons for leaving is best in your reference if your referee agrees to that (but neither need to explain that you're applying for human bio - that's obvious from the choices you add to your application).

Okay thanks. Is there any information on the ucas that states I have to place warwick as one of the institutions I studied at even though I was there for a little while? thanks
Okay thanks. Is there any information on the ucas that states I have to place warwick as one of the institutions I studied at even though I was there for a little while? thanks

The UCAS application asks you to list all places of education including universities.
See section 6 here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
You must enter all your qualifications from secondary education onwards whether you have the result (even any that were ungraded) or you’re still awaiting exams and results.

For course results you're still waiting for, these are the exam results we're able to process and forward on to unis and colleges. If any of your pending qualifications aren't on here, you still need to add them to your application, but also remember you’ll need to send the results on to your chosen universities and colleges when you get them.

If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.

Birmingham require you to declare all previous places of study and can withdraw your offer/place/enrolment if they uncover that you withheld that information from your application.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/university/legal/admission-students.pdf
6.30 Applicants are required to declare all previous periods of study regardless of whether a qualification was awarded;
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
The UCAS application asks you to list all places of education including universities.
See section 6 here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

Birmingham require you to declare all previous places of study and can withdraw your offer/place/enrolment if they uncover that you withheld that information from your application.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/university/legal/admission-students.pdf
6.30 Applicants are required to declare all previous periods of study regardless of whether a qualification was awarded;

Ok thank you very much . When I go on my ucas education part I can't seem to find warwick university, do I have to press add new school/college/centre? It says this instead...

School/college/centre name Centre NumberUniversity of Warwick International Foundation Pro, International Office, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 8UW

?
Ok thank you very much . When I go on my ucas education part I can't seem to find warwick university, do I have to press add new school/college/centre? It says this instead...

School/college/centre name Centre NumberUniversity of Warwick International Foundation Pro, International Office, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 8UW

?

Click the "My school / centre is not listed here" link and enter the university name into the School/college/centre name manually
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Click the "My school / centre is not listed here" link and enter the university name into the School/college/centre name manually

Thank you. What about the exam centre number? Can I leave this blank?

Thanks so much
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you. What about the exam centre number?

Thanks so much

You don't have any qualifications to list - there's no need for an exam centre number (and even if you did have modules to list exam centre numbers are for UK level 3 qualifications covered by UCAS links with exam boards only).
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
You don't have any qualifications to list - there's no need for an exam centre number (and even if you did have modules to list exam centre numbers are for UK level 3 qualifications covered by UCAS links with exam boards only).

Ok, it says this like you said
' Centre number has not been entered. If the search facility does not have a centre number you can leave it blank. The warning message will remain'

So ill just leave it then yes?
Ok, it says this like you said
' Centre number has not been entered. If the search facility does not have a centre number you can leave it blank. The warning message will remain'

So ill just leave it then yes?

yep - it's fine to leave it blank for a university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending