The Student Room Group

Would Chemical Engineering be right for me?

Hi all :smile:

Recently I have had a complete change of heart towards university subjects. I was originally going for a VetMed course but now I have developed a strong interest in Chemical Engineering.

However, I have an issue in the fact that i have not taken Maths or physics at A Level (got all A's and A*'s at GCSE though) and am currently taking Chemistry, biology and geography. I'm predicted A's in them.

I know i could take a foundation year before my course, but I am just wondering if the jump up to the foundation year would be too much / if one year would be long enough to develop my maths and physics skills enough from a basic GCSE level? I do have a strong work ethic and enjoy chemistry a lot, but the areas the chemical engineering covers seem far more interesting than the basic chemistry degree.

Also, would taking the foundation year (and passing) give me direct access to the chemical engineering course, or would i still have to go through the process of interviews for both the degree and foundation course? and would student finance cover the cost of the tuition for the foundation, as well as the degree?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Calycat

Recently I have had a complete change of heart towards university subjects. I was originally going for a VetMed course but now I have developed a strong interest in Chemical Engineering.

However, I have an issue in the fact that i have not taken Maths or physics at A Level (got all A's and A*'s at GCSE though) and am currently taking Chemistry, biology and geography. I'm predicted A's in them.

I know i could take a foundation year before my course, but I am just wondering if the jump up to the foundation year would be too much / if one year would be long enough to develop my maths and physics skills enough from a basic GCSE level? I do have a strong work ethic and enjoy chemistry a lot, but the areas the chemical engineering covers seem far more interesting than the basic chemistry degree.

Also, would taking the foundation year (and passing) give me direct access to the chemical engineering course, or would i still have to go through the process of interviews for both the degree and foundation course? and would student finance cover the cost of the tuition for the foundation, as well as the degree?

Hi, I have applied for chemical engineering this year (no foundation year though). As far as I can gather it should cover basically what we did in A level maths (which is a step up from GCSE- but some people manage it in a year anyway so I wouldn't say it would be too bad) The lack of physics wouldn't be that bad though as it isn't a requirement for joining 1st year entry normally anyway, so is generally covered in 1st year I think. (Note I am just going off what Sheffield University said, Newcastle University is similar too, they do mechanics and foundation maths)
I have always assumed that if you applied to a course with a foundation year then you wouldn't have to reapply to carry onto the normal course- I could be wrong though!
I do know someone who was going to apply to chemical engineering with a foundation year but I don't know if they changed their minds. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Also I take A Level physics, maths and chemistry. When I went to an applicant day at Sheffield everyone did Maths and chemistry but only about half did physics as well. :smile:

Links to university pages:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/h816/#coursedetails
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/cbe/ug/courses/foundation
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/00428/beng-meng-engineering-with-an-integrated-foundation-year/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Calycat

Hiya,

I don't know much about the application process but I do know a little bit about chemical engineering (I was going to do it but picked chemistry instead!)

I know that in the foundation year you'd be able to cover the physics and maths but it'll be very hard trying to fit it all into one year. Chemical engineering is more physics based than chemistry based and it's mathematically very heavy. Many people applying would have done further maths at a level although if you haven't this is caught up in the 1st degree year.

I think it's good that you've had a change of heart though because there's no point in doing something when really you want to do something else :smile:
Original post by Calycat

Do you actually want to be an engineer? Are you interested in industrial plant?
Reply 4
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

I don't know much about the application process but I do know a little bit about chemical engineering (I was going to do it but picked chemistry instead!)

I know that in the foundation year you'd be able to cover the physics and maths but it'll be very hard trying to fit it all into one year. Chemical engineering is more physics based than chemistry based and it's mathematically very heavy. Many people applying would have done further maths at a level although if you haven't this is caught up in the 1st degree year.

I think it's good that you've had a change of heart though because there's no point in doing something when really you want to do something else :smile:

Can I ask what influenced you to pick chemistry over CE? As I have been considering chemistry for a while but the sort of content in the CE course seems more what I would want to do compared to chemistry - but I could be wrong as I have done very little research about the chemistry degree... :smile:
Original post by Calycat
Can I ask what influenced you to pick chemistry over CE? As I have been considering chemistry for a while but the sort of content in the CE course seems more what I would want to do compared to chemistry - but I could be wrong as I have done very little research about the chemistry degree... :smile:

I had wanted to do engineering since yr 8 and I've done quite a few engineering residential courses. Last year I did physics, chemistry, maths (with mechanics) and further maths at AS. I found that I didn't enjoy the mechanics side of maths and I really struggled with further maths. As there is so much maths involved in engineering I decided that it wasn't the right option for me. The chemistry degree is physical, organic and inorganic chemistry to a higher level + some optional modules (depends on which uni). :smile:
Reply 6
Reading the other comments- I decided chemical engineering over chemistry! The key thing is that chemical engineering tends to be the physical side of chemistry. If you aren't 100% sure I would recommend looking at courses at universities to see if what is within a chemical engineering course is what you want to do in the future. Engineering is generally maths heavy- but the maths is applied. I chose chemical engineering because I really enjoy mechanics- and also despite liking chemistry quite a bit I also enjoyed physics which led me to chemical engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest