The Student Room Group

GCSE Math's results gone bad

This is my third time failing Maths, and every time I've failed with a D and only been a few marks off passing. I'm starting to loose faith and don't even know what to do anymore. The worse thing is I actually revise and I'm starting to feel stupid every time I fail. I'm hitting A* and B's in my other courses but that wont mean anything if I cant even pass GCSE maths .. I'm retaking once again in July or June and I need maths for uni to study Law!!!

Help me omg
Reply 1
I feel you, I'm in the same position too, I just got my results too and i'm 2 marks away, quite bummed because i was confident and thought i would've passed because i revised so hard and well and got everything. But i think it was a silly mistake i must've made so I may go and do a remark and idk if i'm hoping for anything, its stressful especially when i wanna go uni as well.
sigh I feel for you.

I'd suggest you should go for tuitioning. sigh.. it's tough
Reply 2
Original post by JaydeB23
This is my third time failing Maths, and every time I've failed with a D and only been a few marks off passing. I'm starting to loose faith and don't even know what to do anymore. The worse thing is I actually revise and I'm starting to feel stupid every time I fail. I'm hitting A* and B's in my other courses but that wont mean anything if I cant even pass GCSE maths .. I'm retaking once again in July or June and I need maths for uni to study Law!!!

Help me omg

Help me omg

How many marks were you off?

Help me omg

Hmm, you shouldn't lose faith. How are you tackling your revision? Are you focusing too much on questions rather than understanding some of the content or are you perhaps not doing enough practice?

In my opinion, maths is a very active subject: you actually have to do it to understand it. Just reading questions/revision guides/notes isn't (usually) enough. I would recommend that you talk with your teacher, go through the specification with them and discuss what you feel confident with and what you don't feel confident with - find out why and try to work from there.

A lot of people struggle with maths and that is okay. It's not stupid to get something wrong or not do quite so well in an exam. The main thing is that you work on what you need to work on and do a bit of maths every day or so, because it is by doing maths that will allow for improvement. You can find lots of practice questions or tutorials online and I would suggest having a look at some of them as they may offer new perspectives to help you think about concepts in a different way that may be easier for you.

Not sure if I was much help, but good luck! Hope it all goes well for June
Reply 4
Original post by ileanaa
How many marks were you off?

I was off by 5 marks, i might have to consider extra tuition!

Help me omg

Get an experienced Maths tutor. This should help you. Don't let the previous result(s) weight you down. An experienced maths tutor should help you here. Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest