The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by daniilS
Are you allowed to leave your bike at the college when going home for the holidays? Because carrying one back and forth on the plane would be a little expensive...

Almost certainly. But may depend on your college, although Internationals are given priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else debating rejecting Cambridge??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blue2337
Mine is light blue and white! I love pastel colours, especially white... But make sure you get a heavy chain so no one nicks it; if it's pretty, it'll be a target!

Will do... Although it's second hand and not worth much, so I was hoping it wasn't so much at risk. Also, I think thieves tend to go for the darker colours as they are less conspicuous.
Reply 443
Original post by rayofsunshine98

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was, for the first few days. I had really set myself on Durham. I'm sure now that Cambridge is the best place to be and that I am insanely lucky to have this opportunity. Very glad to have received an offer, as it's been an ambition of mine for a long time, even if I'd become invested in plan B. Which uni are you sad about rejecting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure everyone has their doubts before committing to UCAS. It's a big decision wherever you go, even bigger for a uni such a Cambridge where we know there will be tough times ahead. What's your motivation for rejecting it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by btea
I was, for the first few days. I had really set myself on Durham. I'm sure now that Cambridge is the best place to be and that I am insanely lucky to have this opportunity. Very glad to have received an offer, as it's been an ambition of mine for a long time, even if I'd become invested in plan B. Which uni are you sad about rejecting?

All of mine actually! I have an offer from Sussex, two from Nottingham and one from UEA, the latter is unconditional if I choose to firm it. But it's then what to put for an insurance choice that's getting me. It's been an ambition of mine for years, but I really didn't think I was getting an offer! But I'm debating rejecting Cambridge because some of my teachers are already (literally by Thursday afternoon) on my case about making sure I don't do too much extra curricular and do enough work on my a levels. What they don't see is that if I don't do the clubs they might as well hospitalise me now because I'll have a mental breakdown, and I've literally worked all weekend other than a couple of hours each morning - so I'm definitely doing enough! My higher Nottingham offer was only 1 grade lower than Cambridge, but they weren't making a fuss then haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
A nice shiny new bike will be attractive pickings at Cambridge. :wink: Over 2,000 bikes are stolen every year.

And there's good deals on 2nd hand bikes when you get there. Eg from leaving students who no longer need them.

Also, it might be a bit presumptive :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bike light got stolen outside @Zacken room.
Skmeone elses bike was disconnected from the wheel and stolen so i was abit thankful. But still that was top quality, the brightness was a banger
Original post by jneill
A nice shiny new bike will be attractive pickings at Cambridge. :wink: Over 2,000 bikes are stolen every year.

And there's good deals on 2nd hand bikes when you get there. Eg from leaving students who no longer need them.

Also, it might be a bit presumptive :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if you want a new bike, making sure it doesn't look new then is advisable? Because I've never had a brand new bike and my mum promised to get me one if I got into Cambridge!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I seriously am in two minds!! I want the proper uni experience and Cambridge is definitely not that... but it is also so much more! Mine is for vet med too, so the wrong decision could make for a very long and horrible 6 years! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
All of mine actually! I have an offer from Sussex, two from Nottingham and one from UEA, the latter is unconditional if I choose to firm it. But it's then what to put for an insurance choice that's getting me. It's been an ambition of mine for years, but I really didn't think I was getting an offer! But I'm debating rejecting Cambridge because some of my teachers are already (literally by Thursday afternoon) on my case about making sure I don't do too much extra curricular and do enough work on my a levels. What they don't see is that if I don't do the clubs they might as well hospitalise me now because I'll have a mental breakdown, and I've literally worked all weekend other than a couple of hours each morning - so I'm definitely doing enough! My higher Nottingham offer was only 1 grade lower than Cambridge, but they weren't making a fuss then haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

If in doubt, definitely reject and go to the university you prefer.
Your empty place will go to someone next year who really wants it.
And you will never be happy there with these doubts.
Better all round.

I've literally worked all weekend other than a couple of hours each morning - so I'm definitely doing enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ur gna do well in cambridge
Original post by 0arbute
Yeah I seriously am in two minds!! I want the proper uni experience and Cambridge is definitely not that... but it is also so much more! Mine is for vet med too, so the wrong decision could make for a very long and horrible 6 years! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

dw there is plenty of the proper uni experience here mate
Original post by audrey_lh
Conditional offer to read English at Emmanuel!
Can't believe it....

Emma ftw :wink: you in the facebook chat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am sort of... I feel like i wouldn't really be able to cope with Cambridge idk + as someone else has said I've become quite invested in another uni. im just trying to work out if I'd regret it more not taking the opportunity (but it's good to know there are other people with the same doubts :smile: )
Original post by 0arbute

Posted from TSR Mobile

no way, another vet med person! So lucky this was on the most recent page haha
Where else are you thinking of going? tbh i think it's a myth that oxbridge is so much more different socially than any other uni
what college did you get into ? x
Any medics out there? :biggrin: I need to do my DBS check but they said they only send it when you 'accept' their offer but how do I accept the offer as UCAS won't let me firm yet as most unis haven't even made a decision yet lol :P
Reply 456
Original post by May's Anatomy
Any medics out there? :biggrin: I need to do my DBS check but they said they only send it when you 'accept' their offer but how do I accept the offer as UCAS won't let me firm yet as most unis haven't even made a decision yet lol :P

Just send them an email saying you accept. (It's not binding... until you formally do it on UCAS ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edanski
Emma ftw :wink: you in the facebook chat?

could you direct me to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are these the same teachers who said you wouldn't even get an interview? Probably best to politely tell them you have everything under control, 3 A-levels is hardly stretching compared to what you'll be doing once you get to Cambridge anyway.
Original post by blue2337
Mine is light blue and white! I love pastel colours, especially white... But make sure you get a heavy chain so no one nicks it; if it's pretty, it'll be a target!

Get D-lock, the best you can afford. Professional bike thieves can cut through any bike chains.
Some thieves even have a tool to cut through D-lock but it still much safer than bike chains.

Latest

Trending

Trending